Question New wifi hifi setup: Leave the nuforce icon hdp?

mewes

May 6, 2021
Visit site
Thats my first post so hi everyone!
Here is the deal: I need to change my setup as moving to a new apartment. Currently I am using:
- NAD C315BEE as amplifier
- NAD C515BEE used once a year probably
- Nuforce icon hdp used either with chromecast audio (spotify) or via usb from pc
- Dali Concept 6 floorstanding speakers

The speakers need to be bookshelf. Thinking of Dali Oberon 3, Klipsch RP500M, Dynaudio Emit M20... Just a considerations as I still need to give a listen to them.
My main concern is how to set up the streaming (assuming Spotify will be CD quality soon) with least amount of hardware (and $). Buy all-in-one or leave nuforce (which I like) and build around that?
I am thinking off:
- audiolab 6000a play (do not like dts)
- marantz pm7000n
- leave nuforce and add nad c268 + plus inexpensive streamer (what kind off?)
- maybe raspberry pi?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I fell lost with all the new funky stuff around!

insider9

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't think you realise yet how good Concept 6 are. I'd be careful and not make the decision to sell them lightly. I did and boy if I didn't have some much gear going in and out back then I'd be kicking myself. I would look to upgrade your amp to do them justice though.

mewes

May 6, 2021
Visit site
Welcome
What is wrong with what you're using?
Why do the speakers need to be standmounters?

Sadly there will not be space for floorstands, just a shelf 2m wide. Otherwise I would leave Concepts as mentioned above.
What I do not like in the current setup is:
- it’s pre-amp into pre-amp as NAD does not have power-in. Would like to eliminate unnecessary stage.
- Chromecast does not allow streaming highest quality from spotify.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Sadly there will not be space for floorstands, just a shelf 2m wide. Otherwise I would leave Concepts as mentioned above.
What I do not like in the current setup is:
- it’s pre-amp into pre-amp as NAD does not have power-in. Would like to eliminate unnecessary stage.
- Chromecast does not allow streaming highest quality from spotify.
So you'll be on a shelf. I'd really think about the speakers then because very few work their best on shelves, if course some will.

The chromecast does highest quality streaming from Spotify.

You say pre to pre but if you turn dac vol to full it's the same thing. I do understand what you mean but that dac is supposed to be very good. I'd thread carefully because you'll find that you'll spend but without major sound improvement.

I'd consider the marantz you mentioned and suitable speakers an option

- however, I'd be inclined to keep the streamer and amp separate because streamers and software can become obsolete, look at the sonos for example.

An example I might look at would be neat iota speakers (simply because they can be placed on shelves and work well) / node 2i and a musical fidelity ms2i or a power amp and use node as pre. Really though I think the speakers are the most important here because your used to listening to great floorstanders.
Another strong contender might be keep what you have source wise, ditch the amp and get Active speakers such as the acoustic energy AE 1s

insider9

Shelf 2 meters wide isn't really sufficient to have any reasonable quality speakers. You'll end up with just a beefier mono. Any solution given that would not really be hifi and I'd suggest it doesn't warrant spending that kind of money.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Shelf 2 meters wide isn't really sufficient to have any reasonable quality speakers. You'll end up with just a beefier mono. Any solution given that would not really be hifi and I'd suggest it doesn't warrant spending that kind of money.
I respectfully disagree. I'd bet if you visited most 3 bedroom semi detached houses very few people, even audiophile types could have there speakers more than 2 metres (6 feet 6 odd inches). I think the shelf is an issue and it will be hard to match the excellent (as you point out) existing speakers

Reactions: andybebbs

mewes

May 6, 2021
Visit site
Maybe I wasn’t precise enough saying ‘shelf’ - I meant kind of rtv cabinet allowing to adjust distance from the wall. I do not think there will be a huge issue with them.
I like the idea of keeping source, dac and power amp as 3 separate devices but active speakers seems tempting too. Honestly I have never considered them, thinking they just can’t be good...

insider9

I respectfully disagree. I'd bet if you visited most 3 bedroom semi detached houses very few people, even audiophile types could have there speakers more than 2 metres (6 feet 6 odd inches). I think the shelf is an issue and it will be hard to match the excellent (as you point out) existing speakers
No worries. That's what the forum is for. If we all agreed all the time it would be a pointless gathering.

Issue number one for me is the shelf in regards to distance to back wall this will ruin any chances of imaging.

I don't necessarily mind the distance between speakers but pair that with close proximity to back wall and possibly larger distance to listening position and stereo effect is gone. Then add potential for bass issues and any significant spent is effectively pointless.

But by no means I'm trying to put OP of from listening to music in good quality. Just providing counter argument. Do whatever feels right.

Reactions: muljao

mewes

May 6, 2021
Visit site
No worries. That's what the forum is for. If we all agreed all the time it would be a pointless gathering.

Issue number one for me is the shelf in regards to distance to back wall this will ruin any chances of imaging.

I don't necessarily mind the distance between speakers but pair that with close proximity to back wall and possibly larger distance to listening position and stereo effect is gone. Then add potential for bass issues and any significant spent is effectively pointless.

But by no means I'm trying to put OP of from listening to music in good quality. Just providing counter argument. Do whatever feels right.

Because of wall proximity and narrow stance I was also considering 2.1 set up with smaller speakers plus sub. But quality sub is a pricey addition again.

Would there be any pro of having front BR port to limit bass issues?

insider9

Because of wall proximity and narrow stance I was also considering 2.1 set up with smaller speakers plus sub. But quality sub is a pricey addition again.

Would there be any pro of having front BR port to limit bass issues?
I'm sorry I'm not great at straight answers 😃

Bass, 250 Hz and under is omnidirectional. That's with any design speakers. Speaker directivity happens above that. Why you can easier control midrange and treble.

So the answer is lies with how much bass exactly will your speakers produce. The more bass, the more issues and smear on imaging and midrange.

Having a sub placed somewhere else. With speakers used as satellites not producing any substantial bass frequencies could definitely be a solution. But that requires you to take this approach straight away.

Obviously don't take my word for it and please demo whichever way you decide to go

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
A 2.1 system is a little more difficult to get right than just stereo. It's easier to set up a stereo set and then later integrate a sub if you feel it's needed. Of course opinions vary on this, personally I'd always try get it with the two speakers, subs and the faff that goes with them doesn't interest me but it's different for everyone.

If you go the passive route and have shelves, be they pull out adjustable etc have a look at the wharfedale (and other) bookshelves that do the downward firing bass plinth ( Evo 4.2 for example) as they are forgiving of positioning

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts