New warmer, richer cd player - advice please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I came from a Roksan Kandy MK3 so that might influence my interpretation of the XRay v8's qualities.

The XRay is incredibly detailed (as you would expect with a name like this!). This is probably in part due to the low noise floor it has, a benefit of having a completely separate power supply unit. You get a strong presence with recordings, such as the reverb of some classical or chamber music, and there's lots of airiness without brightness. The player is generally very neutral indeed and could even be described by some as too neutral, probably similar to the VDAC. What you don't get is coloured bass lines driving high levels of rhythm and punch nor forward midbands overemphasising vocals. I think you could even sum it up as being quite under-whelming really as it's not trying to colour the music nor perform any party tricks.

If you find your CDP too bright or hard, try adding some £40 Rothwell Attenuators. I understand that these will potentially soften the sound very slightly, shaving the very top end off the treble and making things sound more natural.

T

the record spot

sthomas048:
the record spot:The original 2010 is also worth seeking out and might float your boat if you can try before you buy - expect to pay around £250 from a dealer, who will likely throw in a short warranty as well. It's a bit "rockier" than its successor though, hence worth trying out if possible.

Thanks for that Record Spot. Im all for rocky sounding cdps. The Exposure cdps (infact amps too) have always appealed to me.

Pleasure; I'd also add my own CDP into the mix, if you can a) find one on ex-dem and, b) don't already own lean sounding kit already. The 7001-KI just gets on with playing music in a very neutral way; little colouration as far as I can tell.

A

Anonymous

sthomas048:So c'mon Igglebert, give me some details about the XRay v8's sound !

If you're not far away from me perhaps we can compare the XRay 8 with the Apollo. Could be interesting! I'm near Oundle, East Northants.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
sthomas048:one off:

im with rs ive heard several exposures and wouldnt descibe them as warm at all but the apollo is fine you dont need to change it at all

its the amp you need to change if you want warm

Well thanks for the advice, but the KingRex is a cracking amp. Very smooth and valve like - you would be surprised ! I have tried a number of different amps with the Apollo and so i know its definately that i feel i need to change.

I also have a T-amp, a Yulong AmpOne... http://dood.ca/2008/09/26/yulong-amp4780-integrated-amp-review/

Very good with sensetive speakers and a nice sweet midrange, it's not a tri path amp like yours, what audibel difference should that make if any?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:sthomas048:So c'mon Igglebert, give me some details about the XRay v8's sound !

If you're not far away from me perhaps we can compare the XRay 8 with the Apollo. Could be interesting! I'm near Oundle, East Northants.

Igglebert, that would be fun and a real pleasure, but i live in Pontypridd, South Wales. Would love to compare the two players.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
RCduck7:
I also have a T-amp, a Yulong AmpOne... http://dood.ca/2008/09/26/yulong-amp4780-integrated-amp-review/

Very good with sensetive speakers and a nice sweet midrange, it's not a tri path amp like yours, what audibel difference should that make if any?

RCduck7 - to be honest i have absoloutely no idea ! Sorry my friend. But my KingRex also shares the same sweet mids. I love how it combines the smooth sweetness of valves with the detail and dynamics of solid state.

A

Anonymous

sthomas048:
igglebert:sthomas048:So c'mon Igglebert, give me some details about the XRay v8's sound !

Igglebert, that would be fun and a real pleasure, but i live in Pontypridd, South Wales. Would love to compare the two players.

Haha, that's a shame, quite a long way! Always fancied a bit of a bake-off/experiment. The last time I did that my mate (now in Aus) brought around his Rega R5 speakers. We plugged them into my Rotel amp with Roksan CDP in a reflective room and found them unlistenable they were so bright. Really interesting experiment, one that has really warned me about room acoustics.

A

Anonymous

Just thought i'd throw my two cents in.I have owned the Exposure 2010s cd player and i had numerous

problems with it .I went through 3 of them and they all had the same issue.It does have a rockin sound,but it is also

warm and sweet on top.However i would not recommend it,as it is poorly built and has quite high jitter.I agree that

you would be better served getting a nice external Dac.The Apollo has a good transport so why not keep it. You will save

money this way.I am quite familiar with both players and the Exposure isn't a huge step up from the Apollo anyway.That

would be somewhat of a sideways move imho.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Try to get a Unico CD, perhaps through UKD, the UK distributor of Unison Research. If I remember correctly they have an ex-demo going for decent money at the moment. Failing that an Arcam CD92 would envelope you in chocolate*.

*Copyright Chebby, 2009.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Well the news is my Apollo has been sold. So im all out looking for the right cdp now ! I like the idea of the 2010s combining that rocking sound with warm sweetness. There is one on Ebay at the moment. Mmm ?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
JoelSim:
stthomas, I'm also not sure that AVI Neutrons are particularly warm, good speakers definitely, but far from warm.

Well i bought the Neutron 5s blind, purely based on opinions on the internet. Luckily i love them, the best speaker ive ever heard ! Very transparent imho. Im hopeless at describing the sonics of hifi kit.

Well im torn between new and old cd players.

New -
NAD C545bee
Marantz CD6003

Old -
Linn Karik
Micromega Stage 3
Audio Analogue Paganini

Due to my budget i dont feel i would get any real step up in sound with a new cdp, whereas buying old means i get that little bit more of quality and the sound that im looking for.

T

the record spot

Can certainly recommend the Marantz family - typically very open, detailed and highly musical and the 6003 seems to raise the bar at the entry-level budget end. The AA Paganini is a fine CDP - WHF is a fine CDP, great build, depth plunging bass, which may be a little unruly with a bass heavy amp, but otherwise highly recommended too. It'll withstand a few upgrade too incidentally to your other kit.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
sthomas048:JoelSim:

stthomas, I'm also not sure that AVI Neutrons are particularly warm, good speakers definitely, but far from warm.

Well i bought the Neutron 5s blind, purely based on opinions on the internet. Luckily i love them, the best speaker ive ever heard ! Very transparent imho. Im hopeless at describing the sonics of hifi kit.

Well im torn between new and old cd players.

New -
NAD C545bee
Marantz CD6003

Old -
Linn Karik
Micromega Stage 3
Audio Analogue Paganini

Due to my budget i dont feel i would get any real step up in sound with a new cdp, whereas buying old means i get that little bit more of quality and the sound that im looking for.

I can't help feeling that these budgets CDPs would be a step down from the Apollo and will not give you what you;re looking for.

A

Anonymous

I agree. The sort of change you're attempting will simply bring differences rather than great improvements and unless you have a reasonable idea of what those differences are then it's a bit futile! Just my opinion
emotion-1.gif

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Igglebert, Joelsim - yes. This is why im looking to older cd players. Id even considered selling my old Musical Fidelity B200 amp to fund the new cdp, but i cant part with it !

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think so too. If you are going down the old Linn route, make sure you check out some Genki, not warm but one hell of a bargain in the used market and imo does the timing thing better than Rega. Smooth sounding cd player can sound roll off up top and therefore you might just lost a bit of soul. The list of warmish house sound CD players I have encounter: Astin Trew, Opera Audio Consonanc, Older Musical fidelity and er...
emotion-20.gif
Arcam FMJ range.

TRENDING THREADS