New warmer, richer cd player - advice please

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Well the time has come for my Rega Apollo to leave my life and im looking for a replacement cdp for around £450. So im selling it and using the funds to buy. Basically i know its a genuinely great player but im looking for something a little more richer and warmer sounding, i find the Apollo lacks a little "human-ness". Any advice ? I dont mind a new or used player. Ebay is my friend.

Thanks.

sthomas048:

Hello all,

Well the time has come for my Rega Apollo to leave my life and im looking for a replacement cdp for around £450. So im selling it and using the funds to buy. Basically i know its a genuinely great player but im looking for something a little more richer and warmer sounding, i find the Apollo lacks a little "human-ness". Any advice ? I dont mind a new or used player. Ebay is my friend.

Thanks.

If you're looking for a CDP that less hi-fi, without doubt, go for Exposure 2010's. Although you might be hard pushed to pick-up one for less than £500 brand new. Nevertheless, well worth the extra.

Try Bartletts hi-fi, London. They stock the 2010s but don't state the price on their website.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hey Stephen

How about a tube dac like an mhdt? Should be lovely and rich. Then you can use a basic cdp/dvd as a transport. should be ok price wise second hand.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if you can find one but the Unison Research Unico CDPs are very organic sounding. Also the Sugden CD21 is a pretty smooth operator but I haven't heard one.

T

the record spot

Always thought the 2010s was more of a rockier sound than the warm 'n' fuzzies PP? That was true of the original 2010, and although it was toned down, I understood it still had a fair old punch to it.

For warmth, hmmm, not sure....a lot of digital players in that end of the budget spectrum do the analytical detailed bright thing well, so not too sure what might work for you. Others might have a better idea.

As an alternative though; I hear the Musical Fidelity V-DAC is - apart from being fine value for money at £150 - is rated as a bit of a smooth operator, but without all the sometimes negative baggage that term brings. Maybe this is worth a go? Bung it on the end of your Rega, you'll have a good transport, as well as the flexibility to return to the Apollo if you wish.

Another alternative is there's a place up here (Edinburgh) that's offering a Rega Jupiter, high end player, for about £500 used. It's roughly eight or nine years old from memory. Might that be another option?

matthewpiano

The V-DAC is exceptional and should give you exactly what you are looking for. Its my favourite piece of hi-fi gear. It still doesn't bring CD up to vinyl standards of human-ness, but it does bring an excellent sense of atmosphere and warmth to the sound without losing any of the detail. One of the greatest bargains in hi-fi if you ask me.

the record spot:Always thought the 2010s was more of a rockier sound than the warm 'n' fuzzies PP? That was true of the original 2010, and although it was toned down, I understood it still had a fair old punch to it. For warmth, hmmm, not sure....a lot of digital players in that end of the budget spectrum do the analytical detailed bright thing well, so not too sure what might work for you. Others might have a better idea. As an alternative though; I hear the Musical Fidelity V-DAC is - apart from being fine value for money at £150 - is rated as a bit of a smooth operator, but without all the sometimes negative baggage that term brings. Maybe this is worth a go? Bung it on the end of your Rega, you'll have a good transport, as well as the flexibility to return to the Apollo if you wish. Another alternative is there's a place up here (Edinburgh) that's offering a Rega Jupiter, high end player, for about £500 used. It's roughly eight or nine years old from memory. Might that be another option?

When I heard the Exposure, it didn't sound as analytical as others in that sort of price bracket. It was very punchy and hard hitting, although I don't know you define the Fuzzie-Wuzzies. However, on the OP's budget he will struggle, given the abilities of the Apollo

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am wondering whether your cables are influencing your sound too. I found QED cables a little on the bright and brash side at times. I listened to the rega apollo quite like it however I did find it a little lean sounding. The consonance cd-120 linear has a warmer more fuller richer sound and I would say more musical and natural sounding than the rega apollo.

It has a kind of natural analogue characteristics smooth, natural and quite dynamic fluid sound with an open soundstage. It would be a little more rolled off at the top end compared to the rega (not as bright) but at the same time detailed and airy. Voices and instruments sound harmonically rich etc. It really shines in the mids and has a fairly full sounding bass.

If there was a weakness it would be the slightly rolled off top end - in many cases this is good on bright systems or helps to make bright recordings more listenable.
emotion-1.gif

All the best.

Steve.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:
If you're looking for a CDP that less hi-fi, without doubt, go for Exposure 2010's. Although you might be hard pushed to pick-up one for less than £500 brand new. Nevertheless, well worth the extra.

Try Bartletts hi-fi, London. They stock the 2010s but don't state the price on their website.

Thanks PP, i will keep a keen eye out for a 2010s. It seems to have the right combo of characteristics that im looking for. I notice there is one on Ebay at the moment, but its a little above budget.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
lordmortlock:
Hey Stephen

How about a tube dac like an mhdt? Should be lovely and rich. Then you can use a basic cdp/dvd as a transport. should be ok price wise second hand.

Hi LordM,

Nice idea thanks, but ive never been one for dacs ! call me old fashioned
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

The original 2010 is also worth seeking out and might float your boat if you can try before you buy - expect to pay around £250 from a dealer, who will likely throw in a short warranty as well. It's a bit "rockier" than its successor though, hence worth trying out if possible.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
sthomas048:
emotion-1.gif

How have your CD players worked so far then? (They all need DACs to work.)

Seperate stand-alone DACs for CD players/transports go back to the Cambridge Audio DAC1 designed by Stan Curtis in 1989.

20 years is surely 'old fashioned' enough in hifi? (CD is only 6 years older) Especially if you get a DAC with a nice class-A tube/valve output stage.

A

Anonymous

im with rs ive heard several exposures and wouldnt descibe them as warm at all but the apollo is fine you dont need to change it at all

its the amp you need to change if you want warm

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Not sure if you can find one but the Unison Research Unico CDPs are very organic sounding. Also the Sugden CD21 is a pretty smooth operator but I haven't heard one.

I actually had my eye on a Unico before buying the Apollo. Sugden another highly regarded name to add to possibles. Thanks.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
chebby:sthomas048:
emotion-1.gif

How have your CD players worked so far then? (They all need DACs to work.)

Seperate stand-alone DACs for CD players/transports go back to the Cambridge Audio DAC1 designed by Stan Curtis in 1989.

20 years is surely 'old fashioned' enough in hifi? (CD is only 6 years older) Especially if you get a DAC with a nice class-A tube/valve output stage.

Heh, yes you are right Chebby ! Cdp not much good without a dac !

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
one off:
im with rs ive heard several exposures and wouldnt descibe them as warm at all but the apollo is fine you dont need to change it at all

Well thanks for the advice, but the KingRex is a cracking amp. Very smooth and valve like - you would be surprised ! I have tried a number of different amps with the Apollo and so i know its definately that i feel i need to change.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
the record spot:The original 2010 is also worth seeking out and might float your boat if you can try before you buy - expect to pay around £250 from a dealer, who will likely throw in a short warranty as well. It's a bit "rockier" than its successor though, hence worth trying out if possible.

Thanks for that Record Spot. Im all for rocky sounding cdps. The Exposure cdps (infact amps too) have always appealed to me.

A

Anonymous

sthomas048:one off:

Well thanks for the advice, but the KingRex is a cracking amp. Very smooth and valve like - you would be surprised ! I have tried a number of different amps with the Apollo and so i know its definately that i feel i need to change.

then its the exception always found t class amps way too hard for extended listening but im happy to be wrong

where did you get it by the way and how does it compare to class a amps

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
I too was highly sceptical of Class T amps. But the KingRex is the best of the bunch and it costs a little more than others. Its not at all hard sounding. I have a Musical Fidelity B200 which is a class a/b amp and although the MF is a tad softer and warmer there isnt a huge difference in my ears. The KingRex brings buckets of detail and soundstage too. I bought mine online from Item Audio.

A

Anonymous

thanks just read some reviews echoing what you said

sounds very good for the price

A

Anonymous

There's a couple of Musical Fidelity XRay v8 CDPs on ebay. Very nice player
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS