New TV rack required

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Due to age, my old Argos one failed after ten years of use. Would really like to go with "proper" wood this time preferably oak. Requirement is to site a 42" Panny on top with PS3, Blu Ray, Virgin V+ and router, and Denon 2311 below preferably on shelves. Ideally with a couple of drawers for Blu Ray / PS3 games.

Any ideas?? That is the easy bit, SWMBO would like a matching tall bookcase and side lamp table.............

Any help would be appreciated. Ta

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Depending on your budget, I would recommend considering 'Chunky Monkey' bespoke reclaimed oak furniture.

EDITED BY MODS with direct link

Price seems reasonable at under £500 for large bespoke units, and obviously you can get matching furniture, as you want.

I should say, I've not bought one myself, but plan to once various upgrades happen.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I appologise if obvious - Hi HI Racks Podium.

They offer a bespoke service, and if I ever were to change from Atacama, this would be the one.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
That rustic, "chunky" stand looks nice, though I'm not sure how much a custom design would cost from the same supplier? My only gripe would be that I couldn't accomodate the width of the stand on the link provided.

If it helps, I've been researching a new stand/cabinet for roughly a year. It's been a nightmare trying to find one, as I need to house a large receiver, full size centre speaker, and various other kit. I essentially had a choice between the glass shelf and four legs design of my current stand, which I always thought looked tacky, or spending far more for a quality cabinet.

I pulled the trigger on a Blok Classix 3000 yesterday, which looks great and will hide all my kit, including centre speaker. I also checked with Blok and they assured me a PS3 will operate in the cabinet with the doors closed. I can't verify this yet as the cabinet's not been delivered, but I really hope all is OK. Looking at your list of kit, the Classix 3000 might be worth considering.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Michael

The centre will be sited vertically, which is the only possible orientation with the Classix 3000 cabinets now available.

I experimented with this before deciding to buy. As advised on another thread, I'll tilt the speaker upward, to compensate for the lower position of the tweeter.

To be honest, I haven't noticed any problem with integration siting the speaker vertically. I'm looking forward to watching TV without a cheap glass stand and visible mess of wires as distraction...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I use B&W 600 series 3 speakers. They're old but still sound great, hence I've not seen the need to upgrade. Maybe one day, but I think other areas of home cinema tech have moved on at a more rapid pace than speaker performance.

I'll be sure to let you know how I get on with the Classix. My main concern is that the PS3 operates with the doors closed. I've the cabinet designer's word this will be fine, so I'll be annoyed if it isn't.

Are you considering the same cabinet yourself?

EDIT: and sorry, True Blue, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
strapped for cash said:
EDIT: and sorry, True Blue, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Yes appologies True Blue.

I was consifering a revamp of my cabinet, see my sig and click AV System.

Your set up looks nice as it is, in my opinion. Perhaps your kit could use more headroom in a closed cabinet. I'm not sure you'd be gaining much else by spending £700 on a Blok Classix.

For the record, it was only the fact I got the cabinet for £500 that convinced me, and I wouldn't have paid £200 more. Even at £500 I consider it an expensive purchase.

Nonetheless, it's a nice looking and, for my needs at least, perfectly functional piece of AV furniture.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi True Blue, have you managed to find anything yet?

If not, I had an idea the other day (looking for a coffee table): try using Google images, it'll show you just about every TV stand under the Sun, and quite often it'll link to the retailers, there are some great looking stands out there.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Hi strapped for cash.

Please let me know what you think of the cabinet when you receive it and how the speaker sounds.

What speakers do you use?

Well, the cabinet arrived yesterday, though it weighs 60kg and I've done my back in lugging it upstairs to my first floor flat.

I didn't do this unassistated, but I was walking backward and had to stoop the whole way. This wasn't a good idea and I'm now moving very gingerly indeed. The prospect of heaving the cabinet back downstairs when I eventually move is frightening.

Despite my discomfort, I devoted the afternoon and evening to getting the cabinet in situ, including extensive recabling and a considerable amount of tidying. Injury and graft aside, it looks classy, if noticeably larger than my old stand. I'll adjust to this, however.

The re-siting of the centre speaker works well. If anything, vocals sound cleaner, presumably because it's advantageous to have vertical alignment of all three drivers, as stated on another thread.

I'll post some pics once I get the chance, though I think my system looks great now: no clutter, no messy cabling, and everything neatly hidden away. In short, I'm very happy with it, though my enjoyment is somewhat nullified by lack of mobility and fairly acute lower back pain. I'm hoping this will ease in a couple of days.

Overall, I'd recommend the cabinet, but more equivocally so at full price. I'd also recommend the use of two burly individuals to move it.

michael hoy

strapped for cash said:
michael hoy said:
Hi strapped for cash.

Please let me know what you think of the cabinet when you receive it and how the speaker sounds.

What speakers do you use?

Well, the cabinet arrived yesterday, though it weighs 60kg and I've done my back in lugging it upstairs to my first floor flat.

I didn't do this unassistated, but I was walking backward and had to stoop the whole way. This wasn't a good idea and I'm now moving very gingerly indeed. The prospect of heaving the cabinet back downstairs when I eventually move is frightening.

Despite my discomfort, I devoted the afternoon and evening to getting the cabinet in situ, including extensive recabling and a considerable amount of tidying. Injury and graft aside, it looks classy, if noticeably larger than my old stand. I'll adjust to this, however.

The re-siting of the centre speaker works well. If anything, vocals sound cleaner, presumably because it's advantageous to have vertical alignment of all three drivers, as stated on another thread.

I'll post some pics once I get the chance, though I think my system looks great now: no clutter, no messy cabling, and everything neatly hidden away. In short, I'm very happy with it, though my enjoyment is somewhat nullified by lack of mobility and fairly acute lower back pain. I'm hoping this will ease in a couple of days.

Overall, I'd recommend the cabinet, but more equivocally so at full price. I'd also recommend the use of two burly individuals to move it.

Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear about your back, just hope it eases soon and the cabinet helps take your mind of it.

Please post some pics, I would like to see it.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
5689905500_d4227eff90_d.jpg

Hi True Blue, this is the TV unit from Chris Sharp with a 40" Sony on it. This one is cherry but they do oak and with a variety of matching bookcases for your good lady
smiley-wink.gif
. There is also a wider one with 4 bays for equipment

TRENDING THREADS