Had a wee look and that thorens is beautiful and if that's up your street then why not,whether it'll out perform the project is another matter and I'll leave that one for members more xperienced than myself,Al ears and bigfish I'm sure will be able to point you in the wiser direction.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Jamie Williams said:
Looking at getting a new turntable but was looking at a German Refurbished Thorens TD 160 from ebay for £875 or a new Project 2 Xperience SB DC ....so what do you think ????

I think the 2-Xperience DC is a wonderful turntable, especially in the matt walnutt veneer finish, but then again I may be a little biased. Mine is currently hooked up with a Lehmann Black Cube SE which gives a lovely warm bassy sound that suits the kind of music I listen to. The only thing I may think of changing is swapping the cart from a 2M Silver (stock cart) to a 2M Black. I find the 2M Silver a little too cold and analytical.
2xsbdc.jpg

A difficult one. The Thorens came in three guises, Mark one, Mark two and Super.

Which type yours is I don't know. It's about thirty years old and it really down to you if you want something you are going to have to play with to set up properly when it arrives or something new with a warranty that is virtually plug and play.

If you're not sure of what you are doing then I would suggest the latter option.

Though vintage the Thorens 124 was reputedly better and to me the 160 is overpriced. The shipping of turntables can be a tricky business. I would suggest you stick with the Project which you can have the dealer set-up for you.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Like Al Ears says if this is your first foray into the world of turntables & vinyl then stick with the Project.

Once you are conversant in set up, cartridge alignment etc etc then look at used vintage decks.

I myself am on my final TT with the Gyro SE, but found the Rega decks get you going into the world of vinyl, sound really good and a novice can get one going with good results (like me) several years later I got my Gyro SE, built it, set up the arm & cartridge all by myself thanks to forums like these ( try vinylengine ).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was looking at buying a TD 160 Super a couple of years ago, and they were regularly going for £100-£200, never ever more than that. It will be decent, and they've obviously put a lot of work into it, but I agree with Al, it's still way overpriced for what is still a budget player, with a budget cartridge.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I was looking at buying a TD 160 Super a couple of years ago, and they were regularly going for £100-£200, never ever more than that. It will be decent, and they've obviously put a lot of work into it, but I agree with Al, it's still way overpriced for what is still a budget player, with a budget cartridge.

Where does he say what the TD is fitted with cartridge wise? Did I miss it?

Whatever, it would have to be a very good one to sell the deck for that price.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

The ebay listing says "New Ortofon OM10:[/u]

With the Ortofon OM series has long been the reference MM cartridge created the long production time and the characteristic needle body are all over the world a term. The OM 10 is the entry in the series and is a super entry system for turntables moderately priced.

The OM series Ortofon is compatible with each other. So you can start with an OM 10 and then with the appropriate needle insertion to improve the quality by using the closest listeners Nadeleischub."

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Al ears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

The ebay listing says "New Ortofon OM10:

With the Ortofon OM series has long been the reference MM cartridge created the long production time and the characteristic needle body are all over the world a term. The OM 10 is the entry in the series and is a super entry system for turntables moderately priced.

The OM series Ortofon is compatible with each other. So you can start with an OM 10 and then with the appropriate needle insertion to improve the quality by using the closest listeners Nadeleischub."

Aha. Couldn't find the TT on eBay. Thanks. It's definitely way overpriced then. That deck needs a lot more than an OM10. What's the point of overhauling a deck like that then sticking a cheap Ortofon on it?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
Aha. Couldn't find the TT on eBay. Thanks. It's definitely way overpriced then. That deck needs a lot more than an OM10. What's the point of overhauling a deck like that then sticking a cheap Ortofon on it?

I know. I have an Ortofon Super OM20, which I like and rate quite highly (though not everyone does), but I wouldn't mind a Super 30 or Super 40 instead, as I've read a lot of good things about them. The OM10 isn't in the same ballpark.

I was gonna go for a Nagaoka MP300 a while ago, but then suddenly the prices went stupid, and I couldn't really justify the extra expense.

Anyway, I'm getting slightly off topic, and we all know where that can lead. *biggrin*

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Al ears said:

I know. I have an Ortofon Super OM20, which I like and rate quite highly (though not everyone does), but I wouldn't mind a Super 30 or Super 40 instead, as I've read a lot of good things about them. The OM10 isn't in the same ballpark.

I was gonna go for a Nagaoka MP300 a while ago, but then suddenly the prices went stupid, and I couldn't really justify the extra expense.

Anyway, I'm getting slightly off topic, and we all know where that can lead. *biggrin*

Indeed. The TT is still a bad buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts