New turntable

matthewpiano

Now I'm totally settled with the rest of my system, I'm looking to upgrade my turntable early in the new year. As many of you know, I had a Michell TecnoDec prior to using the Thorens TD150 but didn't take to it, finding it a bit clinical. I like the sound of the Thorens but its a bit rickety and I'd really like something newer and, if possible, even better.

My first thought is to go for a Rega P3-24 but I'm open to adding other suggestions to my audition list. I've been looking at some of the new Thorens decks but many of the less expensive ones seem to be slightly over-priced, re-badged Dual designs. If I could afford a new TD160HD there wouldn't be a decision to make (I've heard one and think its fabulous), but I can't!!

My other thought is to buy a Technics SL-1200MkII. They seem to be readily available, good value for money, and there is a future upgrade path in terms of upgrading the arm.

Finally, would I see a big return by moving up to the Clearaudio Emotion or the entry level Funk Firm turntable?

This is the final piece in the jigsaw for me now but I really want to get it right so that I can enjoy my existing and future vinyl purchases for many years to come.

A

Anonymous

I am in a similiar boat - have you thought about the Rega P5? It has a far better tonearm - the RB700 - and to my taste is actually better value for money. Price wise its sort of half way between the Thorens TD160HD and the Rega P3/24. I am auditioning this seriously, and would welcome your view on the P5.

A

Anonymous

You know it makes sense...

5862134_d3409206a2.jpg

matthewpiano

Slovo:I am in a similiar boat - have you thought about the Rega P5? It has a far better tonearm - the RB700 - and to my taste is actually better value for money. Price wise its sort of half way between the Thorens TD160HD and the Rega P3/24. I am auditioning this seriously, and would welcome your view on the P5.

I listened to a P5 when I was auditioning before buying the rest of my electronics and was very impressed by it. It was very very musical and, since you mention it, I might well consider it although I need to re-hear the P3-24 to make sure the price difference is justified. I would welcome any views on the difference between the two decks.

T

the record spot

Audio Note TT1

Funk Firm V (although this is without arm)

Modded Technics 1200 series deck.

A Garrard 301 or 401 if you fancy a project - £400 for a good 401 drive unit, add plinth, arm and cartridge - have a look at the Loricraft Audio site for examples (or the Vinyl Engine gallery). I think a retired chap called Martin Bastin does plinths too, but he has a bit of a backlog due to demand. You'll have a very desirable deck when all's done though, it's just not cheap!

Clearaudio Emotion

Project X-Pack (I think this particular Project looks clunky, acrylic/perspex or no, but it's a solid combo and the cart alone's worth £300)

Other usual suspects - Rega, Michell Tecnodec, and of course the Dansette Viva.

Oh just kidding re: the DV...! [;D]

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Clearaudio looks a good bet at £750 inc cartridge, and a dust cover if you ask will be thrown in for free at Analogue Seduction

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Mathewpiano

I would go for the rega p3/24 but consider a real good cartridge , i.e. Benz ACE - MC and also consider to have a good phono stage, i.e Lehmann black cube.

This solution might be more intersting considering the invest and result. The same of course is also valid for the Rega P5 or P7.

I would no recommend a Project at this price level

Regards from Germany

Edgar

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Edgar Eichmann:I would no recommend a Project at this price level

I would (the RPM5.2). Though not if you have a dusty house.

I thought that you didn't get on well with your Project, John?

T

the record spot

Ditto that - assuming it's in good nick, that's a bit of a good deal!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Ditto that - assuming it's in good nick, that's a bit of a good deal!

And your buying from the best there, Usedhifi and Greenhomeelectronics are the best 2nd hand hi-fi retailers I know of - they price their stuff just right and they give a very friendly service! Pick it up too, and you can browse their showroom which has some awsome vintage hi-fi in it!

T

the record spot

There's always that nifty looking Denon with the SME cutout if the '25' goes. That could be a cracking buy too with the right arm on it.

John Duncan

Hughes123:JohnDuncan:Edgar Eichmann:I would no recommend a Project at this price level

No, I just think vinyl's a palaver for no gain, other than being able to play my records. The Project is still a great deck, very well sorted.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:There's always that nifty looking Denon with the SME cutout if the '25' goes. That could be a cracking buy too with the right arm on it.

Yeh, but that one I can just afford (even if I can't afford an arm) and then I can sit and watch it turn a record round...just not listen...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Hughes123:JohnDuncan:Edgar Eichmann:I would no recommend a Project at this price level

No, I just think vinyl's a palaver for no gain, other than being able to play my records. The Project is still a great deck, very well sorted.
Fair enough - I agree on some levels, although a very good turntable with very good condition vinyl outperforms the best redbook CD, IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts