New turntable from REGA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Chris Munden said:
Sounds like you had some fun CJS, It was a long learning curve for me back in my Thorens days, some mods worked others actually made things worse. Its helpfull if you apply some science to the work you about to undertake. You can spend an awfull lot of money on after market add ons , but where do you draw the line? difficult, because we blokes are natural 'fiddlers'. or as one German HI FI mag said, you can fiddle till the doctor comes, (rough translation) I love that, so very German in their logic.

I would certainly like to do another turntable enhancement project, but it won't be on a Rega, more probably a second hand Linn or early Thorens. Good subject lads, and thanks for all the great posts, keep them coming.

Hi Chris, yes the pleasure was always good when things went well, frustrating when they did not but I liked the sitting down and working out 'why not' and then the move to overcome. As a dyslexic, its very satisfying, especialy when one achives what is said cant be done without apropriate knowledge and experiance . . . I made a good living in the 80's from my 'cut and try' methods against all odds, modern thinking on speaker stands stems from my original pionering work back then.

One looked at old Thorens 160's 6 months back, decided against it, my dexterity is not what is was. For the same reason I dont build model airplanes much these days, prefering to go with the ARTF composite 3m-4m competition F5J e-gliders. Its strange, my fingers are affected but not my thumbs, so piloting is not a problem . . . the eyes are not what they used to be, but I still keep the faith, flying in local competitions in the summer when its not to cold.

The ears are as good as they ever were, so I enjoy my music and evaluation there of. Problem now is falling asleep halfway through an album . . . *nea*

CJSF

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Chris Munden said:
NSA, what a lovely picture of the turntable, is it a SME arm and a suspended sub chassis. in the 70's I had a Thorens TD160 with a SME arm, I wish I still had it as in my view It produced a superior sound. I am very tempted to go back to a suspended chassis deck. Their rumble figures and acoustic signature are in my opinion superior to a rigid non suspended deck and are less critical of what surface you place them on. I wonder if Rega ever thoughy about a suspended chassis deck, too expensive these days I expect to tool up for. May be a used Linn Axis on E bay?

I took one picture out the internet. I'm a bad photographer, so my photos always have the same appealing than a big mac in the box at some shady drive-in. This is a picture of mine at the very beginning, before the Tom Evans catches fire, and before the accuphase :

image.php

On mine, I'm using a Jelco 750 tonearm that is around the same look than the SME. It's simple, not too expensive, efficient and it's self effacing enough for allowing high quality MC's to shine. But, for real, those sub-chassis are difficult to set up and it's their major flaws. Until this baby drove round and flat, it took months of tests and retries.

But I have the impression, if we want to continue this discussion, that we must create a new discussion theme. The guy's wanting to discuss about the planar would be more at ease.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
So is the new Planar 3 a dramatic upgrade or is it just a few tweaks from the older RP3, I really don't see much more mileage left in that design.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Anyone replaced the sub-platter on a Rega TT? They are several stainless steel replacements.

Yep, majour improvement, the one I have is no longer avaliable but there are still a couple of manufacurers doing a job. Google 'Rega Sub-platter', replace sub-platter, thrust bearing, drive belt (go to a white belt) and you are well on the way. User the special oil on offer as well.

CJSF

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
BigH said:
Anyone replaced the sub-platter on a Rega TT? They are several stainless steel replacements.

Yep, majour improvement, the one I have is no longer avaliable but there are still a couple of manufacurers doing a job. Google 'Rega Sub-platter', replace sub-platter, thrust bearing, drive belt (go to a white belt) and you are well on the way. User the special oil on offer as well.

CJSF

OK thanks, if I buy a Rega RP3 I may well do that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts