New turntable/cartridge recommendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mitch65 said:
:help: ..........your typical cartridge buyer :rofl:

wall.gif
confused.gif
smile.png
confused.gif
angry.png

H...E...L..P.......M...E...!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm reasonably indecisive anyway, and this cartridge choosing process is already starting to do my head in.
confused.gif
" />

The Exact still is a good cart, but your right there is lots of choice!

One thing to bear in mind any cart, apart from Rega will require a shim for the tonearm, its not a massive job or anything but it means you have to have the lid up when playing records.

Another thing with the Exact, the stylus is not replacable.

I don't think you will go wrong with the Goldring 1042 or Dynavector 10x5

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Alears said:
Yes Shure M97xe, unless you want to spend a lot more. This will make a very good starter. (Recently fitted one to my brothers Roksan Radius 5 and it sounds very good indeed).

I think that's what I'm going for, reviews look good, and it's a less expensive punt than the others I was considering.

The fitting and setting up process might stretch me though, but luckily, I have a very intelligent wife, who enjoys doing really small detailed, precise jobs.
smile.png

You are indeed a very fortunate man. Just wish I could get my own wife a bit more involved in hifi.

Bear in mind that the 'fiddly bit' would have to be done whatever cartridge you decided to buy but, by following a few simple set-up steps, you only have to do it the once - Until you decide to upgrade that is! :grin:

PS:- Remember that the tracking weight for the Shure can be set at one of two different values depending on your requirement to use the little brush-thing fitted. Personally I could see no real use for it and told my brother not to flip it down as I had set the weight to the correct value for 'brushless' operation.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Shure cartridge ordered.
smile.png

Thank you all for your advice (especially Alears), now let's not speak of cartridges anymore.
hand.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Alears, and though I did say I never wanted to talk about cartridges again, I may well come back to you for advice on setting up.
shifty.gif

And I'll just work my way through the masses of unplayed records I have, rather than buy more. Well, unless a quality bit of vinyl should present itself at an affordable price that is.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks Alears, and though I did say I never wanted to talk about cartridges again, I may well come back to you for advice on setting up.
shifty.gif

And I'll just work my way through the masses of unplayed records I have, rather than buy more. Well, unless a quality bit of vinyl should present itself at an affordable price that is.

No problemo. Glad to help. Sit back and enjoy your vinyl. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Alears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
shifty.gif

Won't be playing anymore vinyl until the new set up is ready to go, and I'm embarrassingly over-excited about the new system.

Thanks again.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Alears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
shifty.gif

I'm embarrassingly over-excited about the new system.

There's nothing like a new toy to play with :D

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Alears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
shifty.gif

Won't be playing anymore vinyl until the new set up is ready to go, and I'm embarrassingly over-excited about the new system.

Thanks again.

I think it is very nice to know that it is not just me that gets 'embarrassingly over-excited' at times. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

RP6 arrived today, but I'm waiting on the cartridge, so I've decided (other than a sneaky peak) not to take it out of the box just yet.

Then again, it wouldn't hurt would it?
smile.png

A

Anonymous

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
RP6 arrived today, but I'm waiting on the cartridge, so I've decided (other than a sneaky peak) not to take it out of the box just yet.

smile.png

Go on you know you want to ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

andybeau said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

smile.png

I do, I do. But, I've spent most of the evening listing stuff on Ebay, so I'm going to resist until tomorrow.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
andybeau said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

smile.png

I do, I do. But, I've spent most of the evening listing stuff on Ebay, so I'm going to resist until tomorrow.

ooh what yu selling?

Get the RP6 out and start looking for the cosmetic imperfections......couldnt find any on mine!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Will check closely tomorrow for imperfections, hopefully none.

I'm selling a lot of stuff: A car, an av amp, a turntable, a sofa, a tv unit, a harmony remote, and plenty of other **** too.

I've only listed 2 things so far though.
wink.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

plastic penguin said:
I'm a big fan of Shure cartridges. Used to love my (very) old M155E. Great punch for the price and very high MVs I seem to remember.

I'm hopeful,and reasonably optimistic that I've made the right choice.
pray.gif

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
plastic penguin said:
I'm a big fan of Shure cartridges. Used to love my (very) old M155E. Great punch for the price and very high MVs I seem to remember.

I'm hopeful,and reasonably optimistic that I've made the right choice.
pray.gif

Shouldn't have an issue - I've yet to hear a bad Shure cartridge. Likewise I'm a big fan of Goldrings (years ago had the G800).

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
jerry klinger said:
Another vote for the 10x5.

On an RP6?

What can I expect from it as opposed to the Exact - it wasnt that I dont like the Exact, but feel I can get much better!

Taking my TT into Cymbiosis on Monday to get it fitted

Hi Steve,

I see Cymbiosis do a record cleaning service, I was wondering if you have used it and if so was it worth it.

I see it is not an expensive service and was wondering if it would reduce some of the pops and crackles on some of my 2nd hand ebay lps.

Not expecting miracles but a reduction in noise on some vinyl would be helpful.

AmigaNut

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
AmigaNut

Im taking 5 of my worst offenders in on Monday - will report back - apparently Peter the owner & Linn TT Guru said they have a £4k machine and it will do the best job period - we will see!

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
AmigaNut

Im taking 5 of my worst offenders in on Monday - will report back - apparently Peter the owner & Linn TT Guru said they have a £4k machine and it will do the best job period - we will see!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, I live in Leics and work in the city centre so I am interested in the results.

AmigaNut

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
An interesting read . . . a couple of points come into my mind:

If the brush on the Shure can be removed altogether, I suspect it will be to SQ advantage?

Rega TT covers can be simply lifted out of there hinge mounts, certaily all the ones I have seen can, not seen a '6' but cant imagin it is any different. Lift the cover off completly, there is a destinct improvement in SQ . . . I stow mine behind the sofa, simply replace cover when finished listening session.

Small points, attention to detail, worth the effort IMHO.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts