New Turntable Advice-Rega P3 24 V Clearaudio Concept

Simsey33

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello all

I'm getting more and more into Vinyl and want to spend money on a table that I wont have to think of changing for many years but I dont know whether to go for the Rega and but the external TTPSU or to pump for the Clearaudio.

I' seen and demo'd both tables, albeit not with my amp or speakers but these are likely to be upgraded in the coming years (currently Marantz PM 6003 and Monitor Audio Bronze BX2). I like them both but apart from prefering the Clearaudios looks and the Rega having a dustcover I'm finding it almost impossible to list any more pros or cons for each table.

I'm wondering what you reckon will be the better investment or which has the better plinth and tonearm for stylus/cartridge upgrades over the years.

Hoping more experienced guys can guide me and point out some things that I haven't considered....

Many thanks

Andrew

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've gone the P3-24 route, plus TTPSU and then picked up on ebay a superb Trichord Dino phono stage (plus power unit). I then added a Goldring 1042 cartridge and am very pleased with the results.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
You definitely need a lid or dustcover. Clearaudio do a full dust cover for £110 but it looks worse than the one I've got with the Orbe.
For the cost of the Clearaudio could you not get a Rega P5 +TT-PSU or if you stay with the P3-TTPSU you could get a decent Phono stage as well.
I've never heard a Clearaudio so I can't comment on that but I never had any trouble with a Planar 3.
Pick the one you think sounds best and if it's the Clearaudio and you can live with the dustcover get that.

Simsey33

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Lost Angeles

I thought of the P5 but having checked it out I couldnt afford it. That was ok though cos for me I couldnt hear a difference that made it twice the money of the P3. Its definitely 'tighter' with better bass and looks fantastic by comparison (i'm not mad about the P3's looks anyway) but it just didn't sound 1300euro good, at least not to my ears :)

The prices i'm lookin at are:

P3-24 - €700 Rega P5 - €1,300 Rega TTPSU - €300 Rega Elys 2 - €200 Rega Exact - €400 Clearaudio Concept - €1,000 Marantz TT15S1 - €1400

The P3-24 + TTPSU + Elys2 puts me at 1200

The Clearaudio with the dusctover will probably come in at the same

Unfortunalely the gorgeous P5 is out of budget - i'd be at 1,500 with the Elys2 on it.

The reason i mention the Marantz is its a Clearaudio built table and comes with the Virtuoso cartridge as standard, almost 700 euro alone so it pushes the Marantz into the value for money category, although it needs a dustcover too! I think the allround bang for the buck is probably the P3 package, why oh why don't they make it in silver???

So, yeah - thats the decision I have. I'm going to listen to the tables again when i'll demo the Marantz with that Virtuoso and see where that leaves me.

Really appreciate the input.

Thanks, Andrew

Simsey33

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Cobalt, its good to hear another vote for the P3-24 with the PSU. I'll do one more demo and bring the Marantz into the mix and se how we are then.

I plan to try the Virtuoso on the Concept too to see what type of a difference it makes. Maybe if it blows my mind i'll leave with the concept with that upgrade in mind for the years ahead, if not its odds on i'll have a setup similar to yours pretty soon!

Cheers

Andrew

A

Anonymous

I would take the Clearaudio Concept over the Rega P3 any day of the week. The Clearaudio is really much better. I have not compared the Rega P5 and the Clearaudio so I cannot comment on that, would be an interesting audition.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Even though I've got the p3-24, I understand that the Clearaudio Concept is better (and seems to be the WHFSV team view too), but my wife rejected it because of the wires that are visible - her priority was a clean neat design, and the p3-24 (secondhand cheaper too) was the one that survived the wife test. I managed to sneek the extra PSU and the phono amp into the house unnoticed, mind :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts