New to this, will this combination work?

charlievinyl

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, so I've recently started listening to my dad's old vinyl collection on his turntable and I love the sound, so much more organic than playing a laptop through a cheap cd combo amp type thing. Anyway I've been doing some researching and looking around online for my own system and think that I've found the best selection.

My budget is £500 and so far I've come up with this:

Turntable - Either Rega RP1 or Pro-ject essential (can get these for £179 or £175 respectively) - Question here = which one would you recommend more?

Amp - Denon PMA 720AE or 520AE ( £200 or £139 respectively) - Is there a big diference on these two amps, is it worth the extra £60 for the higher model? Any other amp you would recommend for around this price? This is an integrated amp, does that mean I won't need a preamp? (Only ask this as my dad's system uses a preamp).

Speakers - Wharfedale diamond 9.1 (£100ish for pair) - Anything better in this price range?

What I really want to know is will all these work together, i.e no two things lean more towards treble or bass leaving me with a one sided sound? What else will I need for this, if anything? Would you recommend me to get something completely different withing my price range?

Thanks for your help!

Charlie

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
it will be a nice little system, provided the Denon has a phono stage (this amplifies the cartridge on the TT)

Go for the better amp! Demo if you can!

charlievinyl

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Okay thanks, Yeah the amp has a phone input (mm) so I assume that is fine. Does this mean the TT will connect directly to the amp? Ah I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

charlievinyl said:
Okay thanks, Yeah the amp has a phone input (mm) so I assume that is fine. Does this mean the TT will connect directly to the amp? Ah I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Yes, either of the TT's you mentioned or any fitted with a moving magnet type cartridge will fit directly to the amp without the need for any phono preamp. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts