New to the site and I really need some help

andyt1000

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
A massive hello to everyone.A bit of an introduction first.I am a Joiner by trade,married with two kids and now I have been bitten by the Hi-Fi bug.I am a bit of a Bass nut.My music is mainly Tech House,Trance,Electro House and sometimes a little bit of rock,but mostly I love that club style bass.At the moment my system consists of - Musical Fidelity M3 amp,Cambridge Audio NP30 streamer,Cambridge Audio Dac Magic,Qnap 420 Nas drive,Mission 752F speakers and a REL Storm 3.All of this is in a room with 10 foot ceilings,15 foot by 13 foot.Now my main question,which I know at the moment is overkill,but this will be for the next 10 or so years.Right,I have a good chance at a pair of Tannoy DC 10Ts,yes,over the next few years I will also upgrade the full system possibly keeping the amp and pairing it up to a M6 power amp.Would the Bass from the Tannoys be as deep as it is with the REL,as I am wanting to really shake the foundations but have the best sound quality as funds will allow.I live in a detached house,thank god.Thank you all for reading.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
First and foremost, andyt1000 - hello and welcome to the forum. Let me have a think about what you've got there and I'll see if I can help; I'm sure others will dive in shortly.

Splash! Try these...

ADM9RSS speakers with sub

Quested V2108

Event Opal

Simply connect the NP30 to these speakers directly and off you go.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

Nice system you got there! It is possible to demo the Tannoys in a home demo? If not, and if you decide to get them and the bass response will be fulfilling, you can always sell the Rel after, or keep it for a future AV system... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:cheers:

John Duncan

Well. Couple of observations:

- personally I think the DC10Ts will be far too much for your room. It is always worth trying things in your own home if you are able, and you may find different, but I think I would be more inclined to look for more modest floorstanders or some higher quality standmounts with the sub staying in situ. I understand the urge to buy big FO speakers when they come up at a good price, but to my mind it will be wholly counterproductive, and I'd rather wait until I had a room that would accommodate such a monster (and which would be much cheaper when you do :))

- I'm not sure how much benefit you get with a DACMagic over the NP30, unless it gives you more connectivity options that are essential. If it were me I'd just use the NP30 and sell the DM, using the proceeds to improve the speakers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I've heard larger Tannoys than the DC10T's in hotel bedrooms. They sounded fine. Not quite my cup of tea, but I can understand why some people like them a lot - even in smaller rooms than yours andyt.

If you can buy them for the right price - IE comfortably below the going rate - then you have nothing to lose by buying and trying them. If they aren't for you, sell them on for a modest profit. If they aren't at a really attractive price, my advise is to give them a miss. Another pair will come along at the right price, sooner or later. Or some other great speaker deal will come along sooner or later.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just a couple of thoughts, they are fair size speakers, 10 inch woofers, don't think you'll have any problem getting lots of bass, but it might be too much, in your room, even for your taste. Plus with the Storm you have a greater degree of control/adjustment available, other than just positioning/bungs etc.

A home demo is the way to go, they are sensitive speakers, your amp should drive them but the last thing you want is too much unruly bass.

I wouldn't buy them without a home demo first, no matter how good the price is.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyt1000 said:
A massive hello to everyone.A bit of an introduction first.I am a Joiner by trade,married with two kids and now I have been bitten by the Hi-Fi bug.I am a bit of a Bass nut.My music is mainly Tech House,Trance,Electro House and sometimes a little bit of rock,but mostly I love that club style bass.At the moment my system consists of - Musical Fidelity M3 amp,Cambridge Audio NP30 streamer,Cambridge Audio Dac Magic,Qnap 420 Nas drive,Mission 752F speakers and a REL Storm 3.All of this is in a room with 10 foot ceilings,15 foot by 13 foot.Now my main question,which I know at the moment is overkill,but this will be for the next 10 or so years.Right,I have a good chance at a pair of Tannoy DC 10Ts,yes,over the next few years I will also upgrade the full system possibly keeping the amp and pairing it up to a M6 power amp.Would the Bass from the Tannoys be as deep as it is with the REL,as I am wanting to really shake the foundations but have the best sound quality as funds will allow.I live in a detached house,thank god.Thank you all for reading.

Hi andyt and welcome.

John Duncan's advice is pretty much spot on, but as lindsayt points out, if you can get the speakers cheap enough you effectively get a free trial.

You do say that "you love that club style bass", and I think that is something you need to think about carefully.

Hi-fi equipment, at the kind of price level we are discussing here does not do "club style bass" very well, it simply does not handle the deep bass feel and the powerful mid bass kick particularly well. It may well do other things on other types of music and be great at it but "club style" it is not.

To do this you need decent bass bandwith, ie speakers that go reasonably low and massive mid bass punch and to do this with new equipment at this price level the best value comes in the form of active studio monitors.

The Event Opal speakers mentioned above will do everything you want and more, directly driven from your streamer or dac, they are not cheap though, around £2300. (Remember they have power amps onboard but depending on your streamer or dac you may need a volume control).

At a bit less than half the price I can suggest the Adam A8x as a very good all rounder, ample bass (with a shelving control in case it is too much) but like most of the better actives, very good control too.

Both of these speakers are a touch industrial looking, but they will give you what you want a reasonable cost, you just have to decide how much you want it.

andyt1000

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow :help: now I am more confused than ever,totally battered.I have never in my life thought of getting active speakers before.Showed the wife some pictures of them,well,she just laughed and said that I should go and live in Ibiza,not a bad thing lol.Now after that remark,I think its fair to say that the active route is now out of the window.Think this could now turn into a major headache.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyt1000 said:
Wow :help: now I am more confused than ever,totally battered.I have never in my life thought of getting active speakers before.Showed the wife some pictures of them,well,she just laughed and said that I should go and live in Ibiza,not a bad thing lol.Now after that remark,I think its fair to say that the active route is now out of the window.Think this could now turn into a major headache.

Nobody said it would be easy........... ;)

The big problem trying to generat "club bass" in the home environmemt is control. It is unfortunate that living room sized spaces tend to have resonant frequencies that are slap bang in the middle of the bass region.

Play what should be a fast, hard bass note and the room will 'sing' along with the music, so when the note stops, the room and the speaker do not, the result is a muddy bass with plenty of 'flab' but no 'kick'.

Active speakers generally control the bass better, the result is more 'kick', less boom. There are some active speakers that are domesticated, the AVI ADM9RS will partner your sub and has built in volume, no eq though which might be an issue. Adam also make the Artist 6, a slim elegant floorstander both will do very good jobs if the volume requirements are not too demanding.

If you are going to stick with a conventional setup then my advice would be not to go for speakers that are too big, they can overwhelm a room particularly on bass driven material. Room / speaker / bass performance is the issue here, try and hear as much as you can and, having narrowed down the options, try in your own room if you can.

andyt1000

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Right,thank you for your help.Now what do you think of adding another Storm 3 (get one for around £200) and can you suggest floorstanders (yes,I know,but the other half,for some reason does not want speaker stands :doh:)

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Another Storm 3 in a 15ft x 13ft room? Man, you're not kidding when you say you're into the club style bass. Here's some inspiration...Just don't forget the invite. I promise to at least keep my pants on when lying in the middle of your hall. :twisted:

the-pi10.jpg

roomba10.jpg

maxres10.jpg

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi andyt1000,

As pointed out before, if you crave club style bass, you probably need tighter bass, not necessarily more bass. My suggestion would be to ditch the Dac Magic, keep all the rest and add another small box: one of DSPeaker's Anti-Mode processors. You can choose to correct the REL or even the whole 2.1 system for just a couple of hundred quid. It will clean up the mess, caused by room modes, and leave you with tight, smooth, balanced bass.

Do try it at home before pulling the trigger. That goes without saying.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyt1000 said:
Right,thank you for your help.Now what do you think of adding another Storm 3 (get one for around £200) and can you suggest floorstanders (yes,I know,but the other half,for some reason does not want speaker stands :doh:)

Again it rather depends on the speakers and the range of the bass you are trying to reproduce. Most users seem to think that bass notes in music are much deeper than they are in reality. I understand that some electronic music produces deep bass at serious level but a lot of 'bass driven' music relies heavily on the 60-300hz region.

Subwoofers are really designed to operate below 60hz, though in many setups they are driven much higher as this increases the more audible bass frequencies. Whether this produces good sound or not is arguable, I prefer my bass with more 'kick' and less 'boom' but then my 'clubbing' days are long behind me.

A lot of what is being discussed here is is fairly sophisticated, most people in your position simply buy speakers with a fairly generous bass response, a reasonably powerful amplifier, add a bit of bass boost and get on with it. What results is the hi-fi system equivilent of Beats headphones but, in all probability with boomier bass.

Thats fair enough, and it appears to be what a lot of people want, but there are better ways of doing it if you can be bothered.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi andyt1000,

As pointed out before, if you crave club style bass, you probably need tighter bass, not necessarily more bass. My suggestion would be to ditch the Dac Magic, keep all the rest and add another small box: one of DSPeaker's Anti-Mode processors. You can choose to correct the REL or even the whole 2.1 system for just a couple of hundred quid. It will clean up the mess, caused by room modes, and leave you with tight, smooth, balanced bass.

Do try it at home before pulling the trigger. That goes without saying.

This is a good call in this particular application, shade over £300 in the UK, from BK Electronics, the subwoofer people.

Once again, a case of how much time and effort you want to put into this.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I would keep the Rel unless when you upgrade your kit it sounds too warm. Though I love my DacMagic it may be making you signal too muddy and as pointed out, tighter bass may be what you want. Try taking the DAC out and leaving the Rel in your system. Then when you do decide to play any rock it will still sound good.

andyt1000

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks to all that replied,I have listened and took all comments on board,thank you.I made two changes to my system,the first one was to remove the Dac,my responce was that the sound was a little bit flat so I put it back in.The second was to remove the spikes on the RELs feet,now wow that made a difference, god knows how,but the bass has a lot more slam and its a bit deeper too.Now I am going to pass on the Tannoys,going to get an other Storm 3 and see where that takes me.Once again,thanks for all the advice.

Andy

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
andyt1000 said:
Many thanks to all that replied,I have listened and took all comments on board,thank you.I made two changes to my system,the first one was to remove the Dac,my responce was that the sound was a little bit flat so I put it back in.The second was to remove the spikes on the RELs feet,now wow that made a difference, god knows how,but the bass has a lot more slam and its a bit deeper too.Now I am going to pass on the Tannoys,going to get an other Storm 3 and see where that takes me.Once again,thanks for all the advice.

Andy

Good job on the Rel. Yeah when I took the spikes off mine it made a huge difference. Rel don't make conventional subwoofers. Most of them are designed to work with the room so isolating them from it with spikes doesn't help.

You might find this interesting. Not sure how much of it will aply to your Rel but have a play and see.

http://rel.net/support/rel-set-up/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts