New To Home Cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have sky hd, PS3 and wish to purchase an amp and some speakers. Can anyone recommend a decent budget to mid range amp? Also, having spent hours trying to figure out what to get, am having trouble knowing if it will need to be able to decode all of the different HD surround sound modes as there is many of them. HELP!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
What sort of budget are you looking at? With the surround modes, the key ones are Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio - virtually all Blu-Rays use one of these formats (or use an uncompressed soundtrack which doesn't require any decoding).

ÿ

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Need a few more details ie room size and buget also sats or traditional speakers. I opted when heavy discounted for a Onkyo 606 amp and Quad-lites speakers with great sub, excellent amp now replaced by the 607. So budget amps from Yamaha ax763, 863, Onkyo 606, 706 , 607 and Denon 1909 soon to be replaced by the 1910. Play.com might have the Sony str 2400es at £429. for speaker something along the lines of the Q Acoustic 1010i with additional upgrades like the 1030i,1050i, floorstanders for the fronts. Sats Kef 2005.3 or 3005se would also go good with those amps. If you fancy spending a bit more i would have an audition of the Tannoy Mercury customs. I think that Quantum electronics might be doing a good deal with the Q Acoustics 1010i and Onkyo 607 for around £850.

A

Anonymous

medium size room prob about £400 max for amp and prob around same price for speakers. Speakers probably sats

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I would look at the Tannoy Arena-lites for £399 at Richer Sounds and add one of the Amps mentioned earlier, also Kefs are available in silver for £499. Although you may not get the grilles and stands at that price and they are very expensive for the Tannoys, but they both worth an audition, as you won't find anything else for that budget. Some retailers may offer a package deal including speakers, amp and cable may worth a look at Creative Audio and Svenoaks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts