New t.v with 24fps and 1080p

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Whole load of new models - Pioneer, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic - just coming onto the market, Stuart. They're just rolling into our reviewing rooms, so if you can wait a little (which with falling prices and rising specs happening isn't a bad idea) we can help you draw up a shortlist by 20th September, when we have a 10-product 40in+ Supertest due out.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare, first time post on this website but always buy the mag, I just wish it wouldn't make me keep spending money! Anyway, can I ask a favour? I'm in the market for a 40+screen, going through all the same questions as everyone else on this forum.

Even though I love to watch movies on a TV, most of my viewing is not watching movies. I mostly watch sport on Sky digital, namely rugby and the forthcoming World Cup. If I were to buy a TV that when I watched Wales lift the Web Ellis cup:) and I see any sort of motion blurring, I'll be furious. Ideally I'll upgrage to Sky HD, but some games might not be in HD. ESPN classic is playing some passed world cup games and that won't be in HD.

So my request is this, could you please fully test the motion capabilities of the screens with a normal Sky digital source on a fast moving game, ie football or rugby? Your tests always mention motion capabilites on a film but always from a DVD, which is probably only <20% of the total viewing time of the TV (far less for me).

I suggest you Sky + a game and then use that same game for the test on all screens, may I suggest the Wales v Australia game on the 15th Sep, the red running all around the gold would be quite a test for any screen (and Wales to be honest! ;-))

Thanks!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there.

Thanks for the feedback. To reassure you, we test every TV with a wide range of sources, including (and this is not an exhaustive list):

- Freeview TV -a variety of channels and styles of show, from Sky Sports News (that ticker-tape is a killer) to the 'main' channels to the low bit-rate obscurities of the digital domain, seeking out anything that might trip up the TV.
- Analogue TV - as above for the five terrestrial channels.
- Live and recorded Sky and Sky HD feeds, always including Sport, as well as murky dramas (think 24, Battlestar Gallactica etc) and brighter broadcasts. Again, searching for things the set is good/bad at.
- DVD, upscaled DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray. Just because a set's spec says it can show 1080p, doesn't mean to say it can, or how well - we'll let you know how every set (HD Ready and Full HD) fares with a range of HD content.

Obviously there's not room in every test to list all this, but when we say (as we always do) how a set deals with motion, it's always after considering all of the above.

Hope this helps, and you get to see Wales win vs Australia (but not against England!)

Mr.H

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Stuart, if you can't wait for the new models, the Samsung LE46M87BDX is a 46" Full HD screen that supports 24 fps. I've found it online for £1266 including delivery - bargain!

A

Anonymous

It got 92% - surely that is an exceptional score?

To better that, I reckon you'll have to spend a LOT more wonga!

In that reviews best buys section, it is the top rated 46" set bettered only by 32" counterparts and even then only by 1 or 2 %

A

Anonymous

Have you audtioned the Tv, seen it, heard it? If you have and think it's great, then buy it, because what's important here is that YOU think it's great............forget all about 92% this, and 85% that......all very subjective in the end. If YOU think it's good then it probably is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts