New system

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi I need some advice on a new setup. I live in a mid terrace house with a smallish room. 3.2metres by 3.4 metres I'm after an exciting sound at low volumes that I can easily upgrade in future . I listen to lots of various styles of music but mainly blues, indie, rock, funk and jazz . I have been excited by cyrus gear due to the upgrade path but was wondering what they would team up with speaker wise? Would you recommended floorstanders or bookshelf speakers? What other combinations would you recommend of amp and speakers? I have an arcam dbp 300 to play blu ray and CDs but I also stream music via Apple TV and watch film through that also. I guess I want to spend as little as possible but have the upgrade path when funds allow. £600-£800 for amp and £500-£700 for speakers. I have also been recommended rega brio-r and rega rs3 speakers. Any experience ? Supposed to be really good at low volumes? I have no dealers near me so will be on recommendation. Any help would be great

rainsoothe

hi

That's a pretty decent budget, and imo, for your space and requirements (+given the price bracket) you should defenately forget about floorstanders and get good standmounts. I would try the following:

- Arcam FMJ A19 / Exposure 2010s2 / Roksan Kandy K2 / Marantz PM7005 with B&W 685 s2 and CM1, Dynaudio DM2/7 and Excite X12, Dali Ikon 1 mkII and 2 mkII. Then there's also the XTZ A100D3 + XTZ 99.26mkII combo, which destroys all the above imo, but people don't wanna try them since they're mostly internet based and have very few dealers. Also, no headphone out on the amp. They do have a 30day (60day in the US) moneyback policy though, so if you don't require headphones, you can try these at home and check for yourself - I heard them in a local dealer and they blew me away.

Anyway though, you should audition everything before purchasing. And if you can audition 3 out of 4 products and you like one of the 3, then go for that instead of buying the 4 blindly based on reviews :)

rainsoothe

gah, stupid spam filter won't let me edit.

You should add the Focal Aria 906 to that list. And remember, audition is the most important, even if it takes visiting different venues to audition everything.

And u also have to budget for a pair of decent stands - the Atacama Duo or Moseco range look pretty decent (the 6 is the usual choice - 60cm tall). Also, having decent speaker cables and interconnects will help - Atlas Element Integra for ic, and, after chosing your amp and speakers, try a couple of budget cable brands or let dealer make suggestion - copper ones will sound warmer then silver. The budget ones suggested by WHF (QED XT40 and Audioquest FLX-SLIP 14/4 - only heard this one out of the two) should be very good choices.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
When you say impressive at low volumes, are you looking for plenty of detail at low volumes? A full sound at low volumes? Or a combination of both?

For detail, I'd look to add the Sonus Faber Toy standmounts to the Cyrus, or other amplifiers like the Rega Brio-R or Quad Vena.

For a fuller sound, look to floorstanders, something like the Dali Zensor 5. Standmounts with a different balance to the SF Toys to try for this would be the Monitor Audio Silver 1.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion for a system to try, would be Creek Evolution 50A + Kef LS50s...which should give an exciting, musical and immersive sound.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Since no one else has stuck their head above the parapet, it seems up to me to do so.

A pair of ADM9RS, fantastic speaker in difficult situations (near cubical room), and cure you of upgradeitis once and for all.

Unless you want to spend lots of money box swapping, in which case both Cyrus and Naim will reduce your bank balance quite nicely.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Since no one else has stuck their head above the parapet, it seems up to me to do so.

A pair of ADM9RS, fantastic speaker in difficult situations (near cubical room), and cure you of upgradeitis once and for all.

Unless you want to spend lots of money box swapping, in which case both Cyrus and Naim will reduce your bank balance quite nicely.

+1 Audition not as easy as many brands but the company owner does demos at his home in the Cotswolds and many owners, distributed through the UK and elsewhere, are happy to demo.

daveh75

davedotco said:
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:
and cure you of upgradeitis once and for all.

Well that bit is not certain at all...

It is an integrated 'all in one system', so not really possible to upgrade at all. Replace yes, upgrade, no...!

Not strictly true either

There are owners who added a sub, or have upgraded drivers on older models or even replaced the old wadding with acoustic foam, and let's not leave the tweakers out, plenty of owners who done the 'tweeter mod' too.

But you knew what I was getting at.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

It is an integrated 'all in one system', so not really possible to upgrade at all. Replace yes, upgrade, no...!

Not strictly true either

There are owners who added a sub, or have upgraded drivers on older models or even replaced the old wadding with acoustic foam, and let's not leave the tweakers out, plenty of owners who done the 'tweeter mod' too.

You could also 'upgrade' the mains cable for an audiophile one... *diablo*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

Not strictly true either

I do not consider the sub an upgrade, it's an addition that turns the ADMs into a different system, but I guess that is splitting hairs.

The replacement for the ADM9 is already being developed but there is no way to upgrade one to the other. It is also being touted as AVI's final product, so hard to see where any upgrade will come from.

Seems pointless now, but my original remark was made as a 'play' on AVI marketing speak, no one seems to have got that.

daveh75

davedotco said:
Seems pointless now, but my original remark was made as a 'play' on AVI marketing speak, no one seems to have got that.

I got the reference.

But you've missed my point entirely.

One of the things i've observed over the years, is 'upgraditis' has ****** all to do with h/w

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

I got the reference.

One of the things i've observed over the years, is 'upgraditis' has ****** all to do with h/w

Fair point, it is largely a state of mind, I got that too, but chose to be pedantic.

In reality, the only practical advantage that the ADMs bring in this respect is that they actually make upgrading more difficult as you pretty much have to change everything, a more daunting proposition. At the end of the day a box swapper will swap boxes, it's an important part of the hobby for some, which would probably make the ADMs a poor choice for such a person.

davedotco said:
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

I got the reference.

Fair point, it is largely a state of mind, I got that too, but chose to be pedantic.

In reality, the only practical advantage that the ADMs bring in this respect is that they actually make upgrading more difficult as you pretty much have to change everything, a more daunting proposition. At the end of the day a box swapper will swap boxes, it's an important part of the hobby for some, which would probably make the ADMs a poor choice for such a person.

Heaven forbid. If we only had source upgrades to discuss this forum would be half what it is today. ..... Hang on, maybe that's not such a bad idea.
regular_smile.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Cyrus is nice. The 8 series amplifiers will accept a PSX-R as well as having more welly.

The cases are superbly made (it doesn't really show in pictures) and if you can source a Hark MK1 rack, it looks much better than the MK2, you have a very smart looking system with a small footprint.

Speaker wise its more down to your room and musical taste. The amps will drive most domestic speakers easily. Spendor are nice with cyrus as are others.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts