New System (Turntable + Amp + Speakers)

Hi guys

Im planing to build my first real HiFi setup and I would appreciate your opinion. The system will be placed in a medium sized living room (~25 m^2) and my price limit is about 1500 $. These are the components I have selected so far:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit
I'm sure about this one. The reviews are great and I love the design.

Yamaha A-S301 (2*60 W RMS) or A-S501 (2*85 W RMS)
I'm not sure about how much power I need. Here I would need some help. I'm also open to alternative recommendations in a similar price range (~450 $)

B&W 685 s2
I read a lot of good revies on these speakers and they also look really cool. But I also read that they need quite a lot of power which leads us back to the question regarding the amp.

I'd love to hear what you think about these components and what you would possibly change.

rainsoothe

Hi. What kind of music and sound do you like? If you ask me, these Yamaha amps kinda lack body, weight and musical flow. With this kind of budget, you get MUCH better sound quality with studio monitors. You might not like their looks, but they're better suited.

Personally, I'd look at Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 (with upgrades) - it's a US product that sells online. You can use that as a preamp (comboed with Rega Fono Mini A2D) into a pair of Yamaha HS7 or Adam A7X if they fit your budget.

If you wanna go the hi-fi route, try to find a used or ex-dem Arcam A19 (it has a phonostage) + Focal Aria 906/B&W 685 s2/Q Acoustics 3050 (floorstanders).

If it fits the budget, then I definately recommend XTZ A100D3 + XTZ 93.23 mk II. You can trial them at home and return them if you don't like them - and 'till Christmas they have an offer that covers the return shipment costs, should you decide to return them. This is the hi-fi I'd get with that budget - if new. (you need to check if the amp has a phono stage, but i think it does, if I remember correctly). The XTZ sounds like a Marantz basically, but with more body and strength to the music. And the speakers are unbeatable at that price.

Thanks for your answer! I like to listen to all kinds of music: jazz, classical, pop, EDM, rock. I'd like to go HiFi route with an integrated amp.

I couldn't find the XTZ equipment anywhere in Switzerland and ordering from the US would be too expensive.

That woul leave me with the Arcam A19 from your suggestions. I found a lot of good reviews on that one and it also looks quite nice. But it costs almost double of what I planned to spend on the amp. Which I have to admit is a little too much for me at the moment.

Do you think the Marantz PM5005 or PM6005 would be a good pairing with the B&W 685 s2? I just compared the specs of these two and it seems that the only difference is that the 6005 has a 5 W higher power output. Is this correct? That doesn't seem like a lot for a 100 $ extra...

rainsoothe

Hi. I think the 6005 has higher current, which means it's more stable during heavy loads, when the speakers' impedance drops. I'm no electrical engineer, but that's what I understand happens. In theory, if you don't require disco levels, it should be enough. But for pairing with the PM6005, I'd look at Dali Zensor 3 - or maybe Q Acoustics 3050 for floorstanders.

I was suggesting the Arcam only if you could find a lesser priced used or ex-dem one :)

As for the XTZ, I was under the impression you were US based. It's a sweedish company, and it should be really cheap and easy to get in switzerland. Here's their website - and I can't stress enough how much better then the usual retail offerings at this price are. The amp is more expensive, but you'd be saving a lot on the speakers (and their 93.23 mkII speakers are at least as good as the B&W, and pretty similar. Also, they completely "vanish", even with your eyes open!!!) You can take the plunge, budget permitting, no problem, as you can return them for free and full refund. XTZ dot se is their website:

http://www.xtz.se/

Goodluck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts