New system is coming... help please

GRC

May 25, 2020
Visit site
I haven't bought a record player for 25 years and have decided to enter my retirement with a new system

There is a bewildering array of devices and am grateful for any pointers and advice.

Here is where I'm at

Rega Planar turntable - 1 or 2? What's the difference? Why spend more

Dali speakers - Spektor 2 or Oberon 1? What's the difference ? Why pay more?

Marantz NR1200 receiver/ amp/ streamer? Is this the best way to have an amp for my choices above *and* access streaming services? What are my alternatives?

what sort of CD player would I want to add to these ?

The system will be in a smallish room perhaps 7' x 20'

I have £1500 to play with

ANY guidance would be welcome. Thanks

Find a dealer and go listen is good advice, if you can find one that stocks everything you mention so much the better.
Everyone will have their own opinions on your selection so best go and audition yourself.
For what it's worth that amp will take a digital signal and has inbuilt dacs so you don't actually need a CD player just a CD transport like the Audiolab 6000cdt
You can Google the difference in turntables, Planar 2 has a better tonearm, do not skimp on the source devices.

Last edited:

GRC

May 25, 2020
Visit site
Find a dealer and go listen is good advice, if you can find one that stocks everything you mention so much the better.
Everyone will have their own opinions on your selection so best go and audition yourself.
For what it's worth that amp will take a digital signal and has inbuilt dacs so you don't actually need a CD player just a CD transport like the Audiolab 6000cdt
You can Google the difference in turntables, Planar 2 has a better tonearm, do not skimp on the source devices.

That's exactly the kind of thing I came for - thank you -

MrBee

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
I've got a TEAC TN-4D, a Logitech Z906 and use my PC. Oh boy what a sound quality! Incorporated with my TV It's an all round audio visual syatem for less than £1000 and the sound is by far better than some £2000 systems.. Especially the Samsung, LG, crappo expensive ranges.

Love my Logitech can't be beaten on price v sound quality!

Bit late now though I bet!

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
My attitude would be to avoid a CD player and keep it to streaming with cds ripped to a nas drive (network attached storage). Cheaper and you’ll get more bang for buck for speakers and amp, which I’d concentrate budget on. Unless you absolutely have to ‘disc load’ you are doubling up sources in a *relatively* modest system which eats at sound quality of the speakers and amp. Turntable too but again comes back to absolutely if you need to do it or not ie streaming old albums if you can.

MrBee

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm always suspicious when people say things like this, because I doubt that those who say 'can't be beaten' have heard anything approaching the whole range of kit available. I'm glad you are happy, though!
That's okay to say. I used to have A Denon DD5B through a A&R 60 AMP with A&R 2 speakers in the early 80's. So I have a keen ear...The Logitech system is fine....Well worth the cheapness of it but it litterally depends on what you put through it! For instance what comes off an iPhone is sufficient but not exceptional. The better the pickup device the better the Logitech Z960 will give the output! So, £200 aint bad compared to some £1000 systems i've heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts