NEW SYSTEM DOWNGRADE COMPLETE!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey all,

Thought i would share my opinons regarding my latest system.

Just to give a bit of background...I have been on a steady downgrade mission for around a year and a half now as financial reasons elsewhere have dictated this. I did have at one point a pair of Eclipse TD712zMK2 on the end of a Musical fidelity KW550. This was the zenith for me. This system was so stunningly good in terms of imaging and realism that every thing ive had since has been just plain poor in comparison.

I then went to a pair of Wilson Benesch SQ1 powered by a Bel canto S300iu. This was a good combination and the amp in particular was very good. Then money constraints kicked in again and i had to sell again....

My new system is a ROKSAN K2 amp and some Monitor Audio RX1 speakers. The result is fantastic. In fact i think there is very little in this system and my last sytem that cost twice as much. The speakers themselves are very very good. They are finished in a class above. Infact i thought they were better finished than my WBs and as good as some B&W 805S i used to own. The sound is detailed smooth and with a very nice treble. Not to bright at all which was a suprise from a MA speaker. The only down side is the bass which can be a wee bit unruly. I used to own some 685s which were also fantastic and i would have lots of trouble choosing between them.

The amp is also fantastic but i havent really had time to push it. Also i dont think they are the most demanding of speakers to drive. However the remote is great. Dont know why companies put a crap remote to accompany ridiulously expensive systems!

If your on a budget these two are highly recommended!

Any way ill leave it there! My work place fire alarm is going off! :/

A

Anonymous

gotta agree on the build quality for monitor audio. i recently bought a pair of RX2's (in gloss black) about 2 weeks ago i cant stop looking at them. The build quality and finish on them is far superior to any speaker i have ever seen in this price range. they sound amazing too.

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey shakos and all, I have the RX1 too now but hooked up to a marantz sr6005 surround amp. Although I think the sound is already really good I especially find the bottom end somewhat uncontrolled and thick, particularly noticeable at higher volumes. I have been considering getting a new receiver to help this bottom end problem, increase the stereo image and level of detail and I was considering the Roksan K2. However, I did see that you had also encountered a problem with the bottom end; care to elaborate on unruly? I had also seen some posts on WHF about the negative effects of placements on RX1s and mine are both 40 cm from the back wall and the right is about 30 cm from the side wall. Basically am trying to figure out if I can adjust for the boomy/uncontrolled bottom end with a better receiver, if only a little acknowledging that placement is still a limit. I love these speakers and don't want to change!!!!!! Thanks! R

TRENDING THREADS