New System Advice please

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

my hifi system is creaking and falling apart so i reckon it's time to perhaps start replacing the lot.

it was an

Arcam AVR100 (now stopped working) - replaced with an even older NAD 302 (but now back in son's room) then replaced with a 30 year old AR amp.. quite possibly the finest amp ive ever owned ... now not working

Arcam CD72 (again not working) - repalced with an even older Sony CD player

Rogers LS55s speakers

Linn Sondek LP12 - beautiful incredible but not being used currently (inherited it from an uncle)

Basically due to lack of funds i made do but have been living without a working system for a few months now.

So first step is to get a new amp

I'm thinking of perhaps just not replacing the CD player as I burn everything I buy to FLAC and MP3 and listen this way so more to spend on amp and speakers

I would like to hook up my 3D Samsung TV and Panasonic Blueray but I'm not really concerned with surround sound just good quality stereo sound should be fine for me. However the Samsung only connects via HDMI it doesnt have audio (left / right sockets)

I would also like to stream music over the wifi. In fact this is an absolutely essential requisite as i will play most music this way. To stream i will mostly being using my macbook/iphone/son's PC laptop so Airplay would be nice> ive notived quite a few AV amps now come with this built in (eg Denon 2312)

As you can tell from my hifi I've been out of the loop for sometime but now need to get it sorted... i miss my music too much and headphones just don't kick it

To get what i want do i need to go down an AV amp route or is their a hifi stereo amp solution?

My budget is probably around the £500 mark for an amp... speakers probably similar though i always really enjoyed the sound I got from the Rogers

Cheers for reading

Bryan

eagle123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If its just music then go and get a new separate based hifi system, try your local dealers and demo what available for your budget, you could buy the amp and later commit to buying a cd player.

Best to let your ears decide what yu like, some of the dealers can let you have the kit on interest free terms, so you may not need to stick to your budget.

Ask your dealer for home demonstration and hook your rogers speakers, and try different speakers if you feel the need to upgrade.

there a kind of laws of dimnishing return in buying hifi, so you need to budget the best bang for your buck.

Hifi is like a personal crusade in getting the best possible faithful reproduction,

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
yep agree it took sometime to get it how i wanted it but time is a cruel mistress

What really consfuses me is the route can i meet my needs via a hifi amp route or do i need to go down an AV route to get the connectivity i want?

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
yep agree it took sometime to get it how i wanted it but time is a cruel mistress

What really consfuses me is the route can i meet my needs via a hifi amp route or do i need to go down an AV route to get the connectivity i want?

matthewpiano

If I was in your position I'd do without being able to put the TV sound through the hi-fi and try some good quality stereo amps with those Rogers speakers to start with. My suggestions for demo would be:

Arcam FMJ A18

Rega Brio-R

Rotel RA-11

To any of these you could add Apple TV to provide the Airplay functionality. The Rotel already has digital inputs to get the best out of this, but with the Arcam or Rega you might want to add a seperate DAC in the long run.

If you really want the TV sound through the hi-fi you will still get good performance with something like the Denon AV amp, or similar products from Sony, Yamaha or Onkyo, but I think you'll get the best stereo sound per pound with one of the stereo amps listed above.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If in your shoes, my two routes would be something like an Onkyo TX-8050 or Harman Kardon HK3490 with a pair of speakers to your taste, or alternatively, a mint pair of used AVI ADM9 speakers (the AVI forum would be the best place to start looking for these.)

The cost of the above should leave you with enough to add an Apple Airport Express or Apple TV3, for streaming with your other Apple devices.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
If I was in your position I'd do without being able to put the TV sound through the hi-fi and try some good quality stereo amps with those Rogers speakers to start with. My suggestions for demo would be:

Arcam FMJ A18

Rega Brio-R

Rotel RA-11

To any of these you could add Apple TV to provide the Airplay functionality. The Rotel already has digital inputs to get the best out of this, but with the Arcam or Rega you might want to add a seperate DAC in the long run.

If you really want the TV sound through the hi-fi you will still get good performance with something like the Denon AV amp, or similar products from Sony, Yamaha or Onkyo, but I think you'll get the best stereo sound per pound with one of the stereo amps listed above.

Assuming your tv has an optical out, the Rotel RA-11 will enable you to play your tv through it. You will also be able to stream audio to it via Bluetooth. Seems worth an audition.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I started again from scratch recently and when you approach the subject it does seem a complete nightmare. There is so much kit available and people have such differing opinions about it and they use such daunting language. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and reading this and other forums to find out what was what. I think I now "get" most of it, but I may be wrong.

I think the best advice must be to do your research then listen and buy what you like the sound of, so you need to find a friendly dealer. I also used the tactic of telling the dealer I wanted to spend rather less than I was actually willing to go to so that I had room to move up to something that sounded better. That worked for me.

Have fun!

Chris

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Save a little more money and get the new AVI ADM 9RS or as Overdose suggests get a used pair of 9T. You will be blown away by the quality of the sound and can get off the upgrade bandwagon. Do it right, do it once. :grin:

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys

defintely going to give the Rotel a listen and discuss options with a few shops. There are still a few really good hifi shops in Glasgow

Nice problem to have. Can't believe how far hifi has progressed. streaming music, everything connected.. it's what we used to dream of haha

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully there will be a pro-sound shop in Glasgow. You owe it to yourself to experience the sound and value for money that Actives can give you against the over-inflated prices of hi-fi dealers.

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
I've just read the review of the AVI ADM9s... wow, for a reviewer to say a sound that is hard to match at £5k is quite a bold statement. Might need to give these a listen

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
As you may soon find out, any thread involving AVI speakers might well degenerate into insult throwing. Take comments from both sides with a pinch of salt and see for yourself what all the fuss is about, but given that they consist of DAC, Preamp, power amps and speakers, all in one nicely finished package, they are at the very least, hard to match, let alone beat, in terms of value for money.

Also, as already suggested, if you don't mind the look of pro audio equipment, pop into a retailer and see what your money can get you from both the pro and home audio perspectives.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
That really isn't fair to say that, about AVI products in threads, on here any more. Some people did conduct themselves in the most appalling way but that no longer appears to be the case. Long may it last and thank you to the people who are still on here and conduct themselves appropriately. :cheers:

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
I gave the Rotel RA11 a listen to today along with the Rotel RA1520 as a comparison through a pair of B&W CM1

the RA11 was pretty much out the box and hadn't been played to really hear it do itself justice but I have to say i was vey impressed and left thinking I may need to buy a set of the B&Ws also. Was also very impressed by the 1520

Set up a listen to a Rega Brio R for saturday that will; be through a pair of montior audio BX5

will also take the rega home for a listen which will decide whether my speakers may need to go also

Much to consider but think I;'ve decided to defintely buy a stereo amp as opposed to an AV amp as I can connect the laptop etc with an Apple Air Port

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
As you may soon find out, any thread involving AVI speakers might well degenerate into insult throwing. Take comments from both sides with a pinch of salt and see for yourself what all the fuss is about, but given that they consist of DAC, Preamp, power amps and speakers, all in one nicely finished package, they are at the very least, hard to match, let alone beat, in terms of value for money.

Also, as already suggested, if you don't mind the look of pro audio equipment, pop into a retailer and see what your money can get you from both the pro and home audio perspectives.

Just prempting and preparing the OP. I personally don't think they have any competition close to the current asking price, from any direction.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As you can see from my sig I have lots of Monitor Audio speakers and have been through several more besides. They're nice speakers, but they don't even come close to the AVIs.

If you are demoing the ADM9s, check they are the new Red Spots, as they are something else.

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Well, as it turns out I can't session the AVIs I've decided not to go down that route.

So I went to a few hifi shops at the weekend.

Decided on the Amp. Much to my surprise after hearing the Rotel RA11 & 12 I opted for the Rega Brio R. Not bought it yet but side by side I much preferred the sound of the rega. It just seems more alive. I was quite stunned at the instant difference.

I curently have it on loan from the hifi shop for a longer listen at home... So impressed

Real question now lies at the speakers

B&W 486 lovely speakers

B&W CM1 Simply made me smile

Monitor Audio RX6 the only set to knock me off my feet with one track... love Forever Changes... It was my maxel moment (those of a certain age will remember the advert

Quad 22L2 They look stunning and sounded fab. loved the bass

All fabulous speakers and all had things I was really impressed by. I really couldn't choose a favourite... So next move, not sure

May come down to either a second listen to all 4 or who can do me the best deal

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nomadicbry said:
Well, as it turns out I can't session the AVIs I've decided not to go down that route.

So I went to a few hifi shops at the weekend.

Decided on the Amp. Much to my surprise after hearing the Rotel RA11 & 12 I opted for the Rega Brio R. Not bought it yet but side by side I much preferred the sound of the rega. It just seems more alive. I was quite stunned at the instant difference.

I curently have it on loan from the hifi shop for a longer listen at home... So impressed

Real question now lies at the speakers

B&W 486 lovely speakers

B&W CM1 Simply made me smile

Monitor Audio RX6 the only set to knock me off my feet with one track... love Forever Changes... It was my maxel moment (those of a certain age will remember the advert

Quad 22L2 They look stunning and sounded fab. loved the bass

All fabulous speakers and all had things I was really impressed by. I really couldn't choose a favourite... So next move, not sure

May come down to either a second listen to all 4 or who can do me the best deal

Not other hi-fi shops around to try other speakers? Did you try to match the Rega speakerso to the Brio?

I have Monitor Audio RX6 and I am quite happy of my purchase (only piece of equipment resisting more than 6 months so far :D)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts