New surround sound set up?...

hopper1

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Just about to move into my next house (not new!). I think it's a good time to move into surround sound, 'proper'. Currently have an all in one Panasonic system, which although low budget (£300, 3 years ago), hasn't been too bad, though never pushed too far... I intend to keep hold of my Panasonic Plasma 42" for the time being, as it is still working perfectly, but want to set it up with seperate components. Will probably upgrade TV to Panny plasma 3D (up to 55"), in near future... My lounge is 4m x 3.75m, budget at around £4000. I am way out of my depth with all the technology, it seems to move faster than I can read up on it! I'd also like to incorporate music streaming if possible. I have a Wii (well, my 6 year old does!). I don't game at all. Use would probably be: TV/movies - 45%, music - 55%. I'd like to keep it all to one colour, pref black, but silver is not a showstopper. What would you guys in the know recommend? Your thoughts are much appreciated. Paul .

Paul.

With your size of room I would stick to 5.1 rather than 7.1. You can get away with surrounds quite close to the sofa, but the back surrounds of 7.1 need a few foot distance.

Do you want satalites or full size speakers? If full size do you want floor standers for the fronts or bookshelves?

If music is more important than film, you may want to considder budgeting for a decent stereo power amp to drive the fronts and using a mid level av amp with pre-outs.

hopper1

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking of something along the lines of Monitor audio RX6's (or similar), if these are suitable.

If I went for a Pioneer VSX-LX55 for the cinema/rear speakers, what stereo amp would you suggest to drive the fronts?

Also, finding it difficult to get the TV set up in the centre of a wall. Is having the TV in a corner going to have a great affect on the end sound result?

Cheers,

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts