New stylus or new cartridge?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
A'ternoon all...

I've just bagged a near-mint Pioneer PL-12d for around 30 notes. Now, it sounds great - really full, natural and lush - just as I think vinyl should. It has a Shure M75ED II on the end of it's shiny S-shaped arm, and a nice new belt to boot.

But... having checked the stylus under a glass, it is evident that it is going to need replacing in the very near future.

So, should I spend 20-ish notes on a 3rd-party replacement for the M75ED (Shure no longer make them) or spend 30-ish on something like an AT-95E or a Goldring Electra. I don't really want to lose that smooth warm sound of the '75, but have heard that MM carts have a finite lifespan and am also not sure that a 3rd party replacement is going to sound the same as the original Shure stylus on there at the mo...

Any thoughts?

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hiya Mate,

I recently bought a pl112D and bought a brand new goldring elektra on ebay for about £20 and it made a big difference, now in terms of quality its fairly close to my cd, yet has that distinct "vinyl" sound that i prefer.

There are 4 new ones on fleabay right now for 40 quid each, but if you don't mind hanging back for a few weeks i reckon you should get one for a better price than that. ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts