Cartridge for s shaped or straight tone arms.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Pioneer SL-30 automatic turntable which is relatively new,I am quite pleased with it both to look at and the sound.

I have a spare headshell and cartridge which has come off an old Technics deck but still has a very good stylus,(AT95E),I would like to swap over the whole headshell assembly as the Audio Technics cartridge has a much lower tracking force than the one supplied with the Pioneer PL-30.

The tone arm on the turntable is straight and the headshell is angled whereas a normal headshell is straight,so I'm wondering if changing the headshell to a straight one is going to make any difference in the performance.

The Pioneer PL-30 has a normal 1/2 inch tone arm the same as the Technics and other players just the headshell is different in that it has an offset built into it instead of an 's' shaped tone arm,but would this make much difference?

I know I could just change the cartridge but I would really like to change the whole headshell assembly if it doesn't lower the performance, so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Yes it will affect performance. Without the correct headshell you won't be able to align the cartridge. This wouldn't be a good idea. Suggest you try to get another headshell to suit the SL-30.

Petherick said:
Yes it will affect performance. Without the correct headshell you won't be able to align the cartridge. This wouldn't be a good idea. Suggest you try to get another headshell to suit the SL-30.

Quite so. You can swap the cartridges if you have a way of aligning them but not the headshells.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts