New stereo set (close to rear wall)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi ,

I am looking for a new stereo set, at the moment I have nothing, I used to have some speakers like Monitor Audio rs6 but that was a problem because of limited space.

The room is not very small I think (35m2 meters) not square but with an open kitchen etc. The listening distance will be 2,5 / 3 meters. The problem is that I can only manage 25-35 cm to the back wall.

I will use the system for music and tv + some movies, I think 60% music and 40% movie/tv.

As a source I will use an apple tv 3, my tv is the Panasonic VT30 50 inch.

So I need an amp, dac and maybe a subwoofer for the movies? + some cables/stands.

My budget is app. 2500 - 3000 pounds.

Best regards

George

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
AVI ADM speakers and a sub if needed.

DAC and amps built into speakers.

The ADM9s on their own will come well under budget, you might like to add the sub for movies.

The ADM40s would be over budget by a bit.

A

Anonymous

Avi adm 9 +subwoofer is ok for my budget.

I did demo the old ones thought they were quiet boring.

A

Anonymous

They were a bit thin, maybe they need a subwoofer in my room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would be looking at Dacs like MF V-Dac 11 + Amps like the Musical Fidelity M3i, Sugden Mystro and Peachtree Nova (includes Dac) + Speakers like Kef R500 and Epos Epic 5 + Sub from BK (Gemini/XLS200)

Looking for stuff ex-dem can keep the price down.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeK said:
How could you describe the sound of the Epos vs Kef?

That's a very hard question to answer as I've not directly compared the two.

I suspect that the R500 will have a slightly more detailed and lively sound with a punchier bass, with the Epos being a touch smoother. They both have great imaging, with the Kef having a bigger sweet spot, due to the tweeter arrangement.

The only way to know for certain is to try them.....the Epos is certainly great vfm as a floorstander and the Kef R500 punches above its weight as well. It may come down to the synergy with the amp that you go with.

I am not trying to tell you what to buy, only come up with decent kit (that I think is musical) to put on an audition list.

Cno

A

Anonymous

The Epos are great speakers, maybe I can mix them with an AV-receiver and buy a full 5.1 system.

First the Epos with sub and later the centre and rears.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeK said:
The Epos are great speakers, maybe I can mix them with an AV-receiver and buy a full 5.1 system.

First the Epos with sub and later the centre and rears.

It all depends what's more important.....2 Channel or AV.

IMO If you want to get decent 2 channel, you either have to get a stereo amp (with AV bypass), or spend a reasonably hefty amount on an AV one (IMO. Arcam generally sound best for this). You can put a 2.1 system together, and add an AV amp (with pre-outs) + the extra speakers, at a later date.

If AV is more important, get an AV amp with pre-outs, and get a stereo amp (with bypass) further down the line, if necessary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts