New stereo: MA RX 1 setup vs nuPro a-200 (budget 600£)

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello WH

After 2 weeks of intense reading and a lot of thoughts, I have narrowed it all down to this:

My budget is 600 £ and I would like to get the most out of it. I don't mind second hand. My listening room is 16 m2 (4,5 x 3,5 and 2,3 in hight) My source is mobile, laptop and stationary computer. (spotify/itunes mainly), and I would like it to be connected to the TV as well.

1st possible solution

Monitor Audio RX 1 (used, ,mint)

Yamaha A-S500 (used, 3 years but good condition)

Cambridge DAC Magic (used, 3 years, mint)

Price: 540 £ (new price 1.040 £)

2nd possible solution

Nubert nuPro a-200 active speaker with DAC build in http://www.nubert.de/nupro-a-200/p1362/?category=202

Price: 580 £

My own thoughts:

I would really like to get the best sounding solution for the money and in my own logic, I find it difficult to believe that an active speaker solution which is half of the new price of the passive solution would be able to sound better. I totally get the arguement that everything is meant to fit together and a lot of money have been saved on casings and such. But still, the differnece between 1.040 £ and 540£ is big - doesn't this affect the components used?

Is it possbile to compare the quality of the components and draw a hard line in the sand and say in which solution you get the most for the money? Where you should be able to experience the best sound image and the best degree of detail? I know, I know "you need to demo to find out which sound you like the best". Only problem is, I can't. So, I will need to suck as much information in before I decide.

Also, the nuPro a-200 has the freq from 39hz to 22khz and the RX1 from 45 hz to 35 khz.. How does this affect the sound? I do understand that the nuPro has a better bottom on paper, but how about the top? In a small living room as mine won't the strong bottom become too extreme anyhow?

If I have left anything out that you would like to know, please ask me to elaborate more.

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Another note to add to my own thoughts. When comparing amps people often use weight as a very rough indicater when it comes to quality. If you look at the Monitor Audio RX 1 one speaker is 6,95 kg where the nuPro a-200 is 6,6 kg which is including the amp inside and the dac.

Does the weight mean anything?

It is very difficult to find any information about how the sound image is on the nuPro versus normal passive bookshelfs for a livingroom usage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts