Question New Speakers

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello all, I’m hoping to buy new speakers soon and have my eye on two of the new Wharfedale models, the Evo 4.4 and the Lintons. My current speakers are AVI Duos, I’ve had them for quite a few years now and would like more bass. Also, the mid range can be too forward at times, resulting in a cluttered sound.
My system comprises of a Michell Gyro SE, iFi iPhono2, Audiolab cdt 6000, Chord Qutest dac and AVI Lab Series Integrated.
Has anyone compared the Evos and Lintons in an audition?
I’ve read that the Evos may be a bit more fussy with positioning and I may not be able to give them enough space to the side, which could potentially cause the bass to dominate. I’ve also read that the midrange in the Lintons is forward, so I could be having the same problem as I am with my Duos.
Richer Sounds are doing an extended home exchange on the Evos at the moment, so I could get them and see if they work in my room and then exchange them for the Lintons if there are issues.
Any advice/recommendations would be very welcome.
Thanks.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Update:
I took my amp to audition the Evo 4.4s and Lintons. Also in the mix were the new floor standers from SVS, the Prime Pinnacles.
I listened to the same tracks on each speaker, a mixture of styles by First Aid Kit, Zeppelin, RTJ and Slint. The Evos sounded very forward and harsh with all the songs which surprised me, I was expecting more from them. The Pinnacles were an improvement but it was the Lintons that had the full rich sound with the low end oomph I’ve been searching for.
The critical thing was I was using my own amp. The guy in the shop said that the Evos sounded smooth and rich with his demo amp and if I’d heard that I might have bought the wrong speakers.
Needless to say the Lintons came home with me, including the excellent matching stands, and now I am finally enjoying my system at its full potential.

Reactions: Al ears
Update:
I took my amp to audition the Evo 4.4s and Lintons. Also in the mix were the new floor standers from SVS, the Prime Pinnacles.
I listened to the same tracks on each speaker, a mixture of styles by First Aid Kit, Zeppelin, RTJ and Slint. The Evos sounded very forward and harsh with all the songs which surprised me, I was expecting more from them. The Pinnacles were an improvement but it was the Lintons that had the full rich sound with the low end oomph I’ve been searching for.
The critical thing was I was using my own amp. The guy in the shop said that the Evos sounded smooth and rich with his demo amp and if I’d heard that I might have bought the wrong speakers.
Needless to say the Lintons came home with me, including the excellent matching stands, and now I am finally enjoying my system at its full potential.
This certainly highlights the need to audition either at home or with your own equipment at the dealers.

And yet there are those happy to tell you that all decent amps sound too similar to make that necessary.
....and do you think I believe them? :)
Auditioning will soon sort that old chestnut.
It might apply to amplifiers from the same manufacturer or those made for different manufacturers by a third party but between the likes of Creek and Naim etc differences should be noticeable if only because of the way they can drive speakers.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts