New speakers setup help

Raniator

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi guys,

Following my previous post – http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/new-51-speakers I've gone for the Jamo S 426HCS3 speakers.

They are arriving today and I'd like a little help regarding setting them up. I've got a Sony STR D800 amp and will do the auto calibrate to begin with to get the distances etc relatively correct, but I reaslise I will need to tweak some settings:

What should the crossover frequencies be? Is it just a case of setting it to the lowest frequency range of the speakers?

Also, many people recommend setting the speaker sizes to small - is the the right thing to do for the front left and right speakers when they are floorstanders?

I'm a bit of a novice when it's comes to the nitty gritty of home cinema setup so would appreciate any help!!!

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Hi Raniator

Just do evry thing that you said above about the first auto setup and see how that dose you before adjusting any levels you may find it actually gets right first time! ;)

In regrads to crossovers im not familar will your particular speakers they should be listed in the manual but if there big speakers like floorstanders still set them to small. It will give the amp more head room and the speaker will able to reprdouse the mids and highs better.

In other words let the sub do what it was designed for BASSSSS! A good place to start with crossover settings is 80Hz but if the sub is noticable turn the corssovers down in 10Hz steps and see if it all starts to blend together. (Remember your not supposed to know its the sub makiing the noise). Hope that helps!

Have fun unpacking the new stuff its always the best bit. :grin:

Raniator

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gareth,

Thanks for replying, that all makes sense.

Am I right in that the lower the crossover setting the more bass gets passed through the speakers or is it the other way around?!

Looking forward to opening, setting up and testing later on when they get here! :clap:

A

Anonymous

Yep sure are!

I wouldnt go any lower than 50hz and no higher than 100hz but have a play around. Nothing is set in stone and its what sound right to you at the end of the day

Raniator

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
According to the spec page on Jamo's website – http://jamo.co.uk/eu-en/products/s-426-specifications/ the crossover frequency is 2500. What does that even mean?!

A

Anonymous

This is the one you should be looking at and forget the the other ( but the other one i think is the tweeter frequencey but i could be wrong it been a long since i last looked at spec sheet i tend just to listen heheh)
Frequency Range (Hz)48 - 20.000
So i edit my last a little try and stay 10hz above 48 in the crossover settings so a wouldnt go any lower than 60 and send everything else to the sub. I would probably set them to 70-90hz and let the sub handle all the bass and leave the mid bass to speakers.

It will be crisper and will give the amp more head room giving it more control.

This happens because the sub has its own amp and dosent require the Amp/reciever to power it they call this active where as your speakers are passive. The amp only has to send a signal (like a cd player talking to an amp).

Sorry if you know all that just thought i would explain my reasons for suggesting the above crossovers.

Raniator

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Again, thank you very much! It's currently set at 80hz, I might try 70 to see if it sounds any better with a little extra bass passing through the speakers. At the moment the sub is quite 'boomy'.

Please don't assume I know anything – all help and advice is always appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts