New Speakers for NAIM Nait5i setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello.

Looking for some advice; after some new standmount/bookshelf speakers for a NAIM Nait5i setup which will be in a bog-standard 1930's semi sized lounge. Looking at a budget of around 750 pounds. Have heard good thinkgs about the ATC SCMii but understand the amp may be a little lightweight for them. Any suggestions for me to audition?

Thanks in advance.

C

mrcharliechan said:
Hello.

Looking for some advice; after some new standmount/bookshelf speakers for a NAIM Nait5i setup which will be in a bog-standard 1930's semi sized lounge. Looking at a budget of around 750 pounds. Have heard good thinkgs about the ATC SCMii but understand the amp may be a little lightweight for them. Any suggestions for me to audition?

Thanks in advance.

C

Naim and Dyns are a good match. The best match, though is PMC DB1 - a little over budget, but stonking - and Neat Motive 3. Also look at Epos M12s and maybe (this latter one is a long shot due to weird colours and design) Monopulse.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epos-M12i-Speakers-Cherry-Finish-/390364921306?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item5ae38ffdda

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-DB1-superb-British-speakers-VGC-/120820893762?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c217c8842

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's not that the Nait 5i is a little lightweight - it will drive the SCM11's, but it doesn't quite bring out the SCM11's true bass potential. Obviously, the last thing you want to do is limit their bass. The Nait XS is a far better match in this respect.

If you want to make the most of the Nait 5i's power capabilities, I'd stick to easier loads. The Monitor Audio RX2 and the KEF R100, But it'll also be worth checking out the Neat Motive 3's too if you can stretch the budget slightly.

Which CD player are you using?

mrcharliechan said:
Hello.

Thanks in advance.

C

Hi mrcharliechan

The Nait 5i is perfectly capable of being partnered with SCM7/11 monitors as the Nait 5i has got sufficient quality and (unless you're going to listen at constant disco like levels) quantity of power. ATC's drive units are very constant thereby allowing an amplifier to give its full power (prior to clipping). Fwiw, having used a Nait 5i with SCM7/11 monitors on numerous occasions over the last two and a half years i've yet to find the Nait 5i run out of steam. I think you'll find the Nait 5i has more than enough power for the size of your room. Ultimately though SCM7/11's can benefit from even higher quality of amplification. But then again even Monitor Audio's BX2 speakers perform better as the more effectively the BX2's are energized. A NAD C326BEE does a perfectly good job with BX2's, with Cyrus Mono X' BX2's perform to an even higher level and with a Plinius Hiato the BX2's sound even better. Btw, if we bypass SCM19 monitors then if the Naim Uniti is deemed to adequate for SCM40 monitors then a Nait 5i with its superior quality of amplification will in comparison take SCM7/11 monitors in its stride :)

Anyway just to get a clearer picture -

Have you already got a pair of speakers? If so, what are they?

What source component/s are you using?

What do you generally listen to?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers?

Speaker cables are?

What is your maximum budget?

With a new pair of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
...What is the colour of your wallpaper

Do you part your hair on the left or right?

What paintings or prints do you have?

Tea or Coffee?

Brand of toothpaste?

All vital questions to ask in the pursuit of good sound :p

altruistic.lemon said:

Tea or Coffee?

Brand of toothpaste?

Hi altruisitic.lemon

Nice one :) Sounds good :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musictraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Tea or Coffee?

Brand of toothpaste?

I can't see what relevance tea or coffee has in this situation.... :)

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:

Tea or Coffee?

Brand of toothpaste?

All mod cons down under. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Yellow, blue, red and gold, but only in a couple of small areas. Otherwise matt emulsion mostly.

altruistic.lemon said:
Depends on the wind direction

altruistic.lemon said:
A signed Tracey Emin screenprint of a still from her short film "Love Is A Strange Thing" from the White Cube Gallery about 10 years ago.

A framed 12x16 B&W silver print (from the original negative) of Edward Chambre Hardman's photograph "The Rick", kindly done for me by the Edward Chambre Hardman Trust (just a few months before the National Trust took over his old studio and sent all his negs to the National Media Museum in Bradford for cataloguing and preservation).

One or two of my own prints.

A large print of Claude Lorrain's "Seaport with the embarkation of the Queen of Sheba" and another of Joseph Wright's "An experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump"

A couple of fabric 'landscapes' of Wiltshire by Margaret M Roberts. (I love Wiltshire.)

A print of Henry Tanworth Wells' "Quarrymen of Purbeck" downloaded in hi-res from the City of London Guildhall Art gallery and printed locally. (Because the picture prominently shows one of my mother's great-grandfathers.)

Many others around the house but I listed the ones in our living-room as that is where the hifi is.

altruistic.lemon said:
Tea or Coffee?
Both. Gun to my head? Coffee. (Costa.)

altruistic.lemon said:
Brand of toothpaste?
Whatever is in the bathroom. I can't be bothered to go and check.

altruistic.lemon said:
They are indeed.

Rick, can you suggest my perfect speakers now you have these insights?

chebby said:
Rick, can you suggest my perfect speakers now you have these insights?

Hi chebby

Sorry i can't as you've not replied to my questions :)

But then again since its you i feel the perfect speakers for you will be R3's :grin: Although for a moment i thought it was a trick question
smiley-tongue-out.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Avoid bright loudspeakers otherwise your system may sound harsh.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I use Neat Motive 3 with Nait 5i-2 and they have great synergy. This is nothing new but certainly a very good pairing and recommend auditioning if possible.

Would definately demo with your respective source as some sources may bring out a little too much brightness in speakers.

What source do you use?

Combination has fantastic bass, even when comparing to larger speakers, sounds punchy and involving, with excellent grip & control of music. For me, are also pretty flexible and work nicely on oak sideboard, given 15-20cm to breathe from rear wall.

Ambrose

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the responses. Source is NAIM CD5i.

Currently hooked up to some old Tannoy Mercury MX-3 floorstanders...

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I did own the cd5i but sold for AV setup...

3 years down the line, AV sold and hifi back :)

Would love to complete setup with CD5i, maybe will one day, but focusing on Squeezebox setup currently as toddler in toe and also cheaper.

I would think (hope) the Neats would be very nice match 8)

Best of all, get some demo's and report back as would be interesting to know your opinions.

good luck!

Ambrose

A

Anonymous

Just a quick follow up. Demo'd some Dynaudios and Totem Dreamcatchers.

The Totems were awesome (although not with NAIM speaker cable, better with Chord Odyssey)... going to be hard to beat verve displayed by the Totems, amazing sound for their size. Found the Dynaudios a bit 'safe'; very easy to listen to but didn't make me sit up and take notice.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for the PMC DB1i speakers , at least have a listen to them before you make up your mind because they are the best small speakers I have ever heard and suit Naim very well .

I know they are a little over budget but they are well worth the extra , they are truly amazing speakers !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts