New speakers and possible upgrades for my TAG McLaren system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - Posted this originally in the wrong place!

We have the following system

TAG DVD32R DVD Player, AV32R Processor and 100 x 5R Amplifier (all without upgrades) with TAG interconnects and B&W P4 floor standing speakers. We have the electronics on an Atacama rack and power it through Clear Audio Copperline cables.

We listen to more music these days than watch films. We are still happy with the sound but feel it is time to start thinking about replacing the old speakers for perhaps punchier bass and tighter treble. We are thinking about getting a pair of decent speakers to replace them but I need advice as to where to start. Have always loved the idea of the B&W 805Ss (with perhaps Subwoofer support) or say the Wilson Benesch Square 2s. Could you please point us in the right direction as the only way we can audition is with home trials as our fav hi-fi shop (the wonderful Audiofile in Cambridge - Hi Malcolm) obviously no longer carry TAG stuff. We listen to anything from Vaughan Williams to Metallica.

IAG still upgrade; is it worth putting the 24/192 chip in the AV32R? Would the DAB upgrade still be worth it

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

I find Monitor Audio speakers go well with audiolab/Tag kit. How much are you looking to spend? and do you want a replacement speaker package or just to replace the front 2 for better music reproduction? A pair of gold signature 20s would probably float you boat, but they are not cheap, what's your budget? the 20's will be around a grand or more and the 60's I think are £1500. Very big speakers too so you need a big room for them.

As for upgrading the DACs, it probably is worth it, but that depends on how much it costs you and how much hassle it is getting ahold of it. I can't imagine the upgrade being that commonly available now.... you might want to consider selling the tag and getting the newer audiolab 8000AP which is heavily based on the tag you currently have - but includes those better DACs and HDMI support.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Dear Norsebert,

If you are keen on standmounters then you could also consider the Wilson Benesch Square 1 and Arc (we use the later in our reference system).

As with all hi-fi equipment it is best to audition in your own home and system; this is especially important with speakers as they are so room dependent.

Wishing you all the best.

Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts