New speakers + amp +cd/dac

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Iam looking for a new set because I sold my Monitor audio rs6 + NAD 355+NAD 545 CD, I want something more high end. I want sweeter treble (rs6 is too harsh for mee) and more midrange with thight fast bass.

The room is 66 square feet (about 20 m2 european), max distance speakers-wall = 1,3 feet (40cm). So I need absolute low end control.

I need:

2 speakers
integrated amp
cd-player or DAC (I have all my cd's on my Imac and I have apple tv so I am able to stream. Maybe I can go for a DAC.

My budget is 6,000 pounds.

I am now making a shortlist to demo, so far I have:

Neat Motive 2 - Naim XS - Naim DAC
Audiovector si3 super - Exposure 3010S - Exposure cd 3010S

anymore advice?

The Neat Motive are excellent speakers but they do have a metal domed tweeter, so you may find them a little on the metallicy side - they are, however, a good match with Naim.

May I suggest the Leema Pulse III which has a built-in DAC and PMC GB1is or FB1is (both soft domed tweeter). Not heard the Exposure 3010 but the 2010S was superb. Also look at Creek Destiny which is very capable.

These are just alternative ideas and a long audition would be wise, along with a separate DAC. Remember to budget for cables...

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
thanks for your quick reply,

what kind of cables do I need to connect a DAC with an Amp? balanced XLR? or digi optical? coax? What gives the best result?

Leema Pulse 3 is a very nice budget amp (1500 pounds with built in dac is excellent value imo). I will check that one out. Just have to bring my Macbook and iPad and I can give it a demo with some nice speakers.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
ok so far I contacted some dealers for the folowing set ups:

Leema 3 - leema xone

naim supernait - neat motive 2

moon i-3 - paradigm studio 60

cyrus 8 xpd- pro ac d18

any comments , advice ?

poldo:

ok so far I contacted some dealers for the folowing set ups:

Leema 3 - leema xone

naim supernait - neat motive 2

moon i-3 - paradigm studio 60

cyrus 8 xpd- pro ac d18

any comments , advice ?

Just enjoy the experience
emotion-21.gif
. All the set-ups you've mentioned seem cracking.... take your time in deciding. Think about what you want your new system to achieve in terms of Sound quality, facilities. And whether it's for long listening sessions or not etc etc.

We're all be waiting for a full low-down on what's hot and not....

Good luck.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
with a bit of haggling, you could have my kit for that budget!
emotion-5.gif

my speakers are about 25cm from the solid brick wall behind them, the sealed box makes positioning easy.

A

Anonymous

i changed my rx6s to dynaudios and i'm delighted i did so. lovely speakers with a rich, detailed sound, no harshness at all. i'd defo demo a pair poldo
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

If you're listening to Naim might also be worth trying Vienna Acoustics or Sonus Faber speakers as well. They're a good match.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
wow, great replies from all of you.

Dynaudio would be nice too, maybe I will demo them too, but the dealer said dynaudio needs a lot of space to breathe because they give lots of low end.

But I will demo dynaudio for sure.

Idem for Sonus and Vienna with naim, I love testing new gear :) Even more exciting as owning it.

poldo:

wow, great replies from all of you.

Dynaudio would be nice too, maybe I will demo them too, but the dealer said dynaudio needs a lot of space to breathe because they give lots of low end.

But I will demo dynaudio for sure.

Idem for Sonus and Vienna with naim, I love testing new gear :) Even more exciting as owning it.

The chase is always the most exciting...

True about most Dyns, although according to Clare, Dynaudios website, Maxflinn - the newer generation are little easier to place...

A

Anonymous

the dm range can be placed close to walls pp, don't know about the excite and contour ranges though, i think they may need space..

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
maxflinn:the dm range can be placed close to walls pp, don't know about the excite and contour ranges though, i think they may need space..

If you had a £6k budget would you buy the DM range?
no, i'd be looking at the excite or contour range, although i'm not sure if they would be ok 40cm from the op's wall, as i said...

poldo:There is also the focus? maybe the 140?

Think the Focus needs at least half an acre...
emotion-5.gif
. I love Dyns and wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair, but room restrictions prevent me. If you're looking for a speaker with a well controlled bass maybe the Focus isn't for you. The only way you'll know for sure is the home dem.

A

Anonymous

i thought the focus range in particular needed space, perhaps daveh or craig can fill you in as to whether 40cm is too close?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
WRT the CD/DAC have you looked at the Audiolab? There is a CD/DAC/Pre-Amp combo being released soon 8200CDQ costing about £900, it needs to be demo'ed but is supposed to perform well above its price tag, that would leave you 5k for a serious power amp and set of speakers, definitely worth consideration.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:i thought the focus range in particular needed space, perhaps daveh or craig can fill you in as to whether 40cm is too close?

yeah, when i had focus110s, they needed 55cm minimum - toed-in to point straight at me to reduce bass, too. contours are the same, they work best in a large room.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
pwiles1968:WRT the CD/DAC have you looked at the Audiolab? There is a CD/DAC/Pre-Amp combo being released soon 8200CDQ costing about £900, it needs to be demo'ed but is supposed to perform well above its price tag, that would leave you 5k for a serious power amp and set of speakers, definitely worth consideration.

i would definitely consider something along the audiolabs route, but i would seriously think about pairing one with active speakers. if you're not concerned about looks, there are a ton of options from the professional audio market.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:
maxflinn:i thought the focus range in particular needed space, perhaps daveh or craig can fill you in as to whether 40cm is too close?

yeah, when i had focus110s, they needed 55cm minimum - toed-in to point straight at me to reduce bass, too. contours are the same, they work best in a large room.

cheers craig
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts