New Sony SA-Z1 speakers - coming up...

Not sure they’ll live up to some of those claims, but it strikes me as odd that a manufacturer has designed these to take advantage of hi-res audio (which 99% of the population don’t seem to care about) when they’ve pretty much buried their SACD format...

D

Deleted member 188516

is it correct that sony no longer make cd/sacd players, amplifiers and hifi kit in general ?

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
So, a run-down of the features...

- 2nd woofer is loaded at the back of the cube (ie, firing towards the amplifier section) and vents to the sides
- You can control the 2nd woofer's bandwidth or whether it's even active
- You can control the relative delays of the HF array and LF driver
- Copper shorting sleeve on the woofer lowers distortion
- Fairly extensive voice coil venting of the woofer
- HF extension up to 100kHz
- Ridiculously high-spec digital stuff. 768kHz/32-bit.
- Lots of metal for the cabinet

Some thoughts of my own:

- The form-factor is almost entirely wrong for desktop listening. I'd want something about 1/3rd the depth, taller, and maybe angled upwards.
- The woofers look decent, and force cancellation from opposed woofers is nice, but all the extra control isn't necessary
- Neither are the time-alignment controls.
- We can't hear up to 100kHz. I don't know why they bothered. https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
- Metal isn't automatically better than wood.

In all, it seems more like a marketing exercise (look at all the tech we've crammed into this box!) rather than a useful product.

Chris

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 188516

£6.5k?! Ouch! Looks like some fancy schmancy tech to incorporate into a ghetto blaster.

agreed - thats what i thought !

i believe sony no longer make cd / sacd players or amplifiers - is that about to change ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts