New Signature Tuned Array

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dave, what do you provide to customers who just want to connect their new systems without 'fancy' cables?

If I came in and bought a nice system from you, but wasn't interested in expensive interconnects and expensive loudspeaker cables, what would you provide me with?

Obviously I require a full set of the necessary connections before taking my system home - and I will pay what's required - but I haven't been convinced of the need to buy anything more expensive and/or my budget is topped out already.

You aren't going to send me home with no cables at all (or tell me to get cables from another shop) because I have come to you for a one-stop solution. So you aren't going to #### me off because I am a new customer whom you don't want to lose for the sake of a difference in opinion over expensive cables.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
Who gives a toss about science behind it? The OP is posting his thoughts about a cable and the marked improvements to his system. Why not try it if you are interested?

@Fr0g Not really very sporting to tell The OP who is clearly an objective guy, that his investment is totally pointless. Have you bothered to actually test these cables out yourself or are you making more ridiculous assumptions?

I have tested many cables. And I bought cables that I thought transformed my system. Seriously, I was so impressed with my upgrades, the extra bass depth, transient detail and soundstage. I was always happy with my upgrades...

That was until the day I went through a proper testing session.

And when it came down to it, the differences, if any, were too small to be able to differentiate when I didn't know which cables were being used.

That goes for interconnects and speaker cables.

It's a giant con, and I was conned. I was happily conned because I felt they were always great upgrades, that they brought real improvements...

Except they didn't. And they don't. Not to any system. The OP will not be able to differentiate these cables from any other cables that are fit for purpose if he dares to test them properly.

Still, I bet they look nice.

As for directionality. Yes, ifor, we do know what Alternating Current is. Directionality is nothing more than a way to increase the "perceived" quality. It's utter nonsense in an AC signal as the electricy flows both ways, equally.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
If I came in and bought a nice system from you, but wasn't interested in expensive interconnects and expensive loudspeaker cables, what would you provide me with?

I use two dealers. One would supply you with Linn Blacks / K20 (or decent but not expensive instal s/c stuff off the reel) unless you specifically asked for something more expensive (better?).........he supplies Audioquest and Chord. ATM he has the Blades wired with K400.

The other would recommend you try a few at different prices, and then pick the one that you believe gives the best sound per pound. This dealer has specific ones he will let you home dem.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
TrevC said:
I would be too ashamed to admit I had wasted hundreds of pounds on a piece of wire.

This must be quite common, as all those that disbelieve that cables can make a difference have obviously tried good cables out for themselves, found they make no difference, and have sold them on. Of course, they never mention this :)

If you don't like something, your retailer will have it back. Although, most people buying relatively expensive cables do so after auditioning them, many in their own homes. I've tried certain cables in the past, far more expensive than those I owned at the time, and sometimes felt they didn't make enough of a difference to pay out for, or even make any difference at all sometimes.

Some cable manufacturers do actually take what they do seriously, unlike some.

Which cable manufacturers do not take what they do seriously?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
CnoEvil said:
Almost every cable manufacturer talks about directionality. Now I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but why would this be an advantage that they could leverage? Taken at face value, it sounds ludicrous, so why throw something that has little "added marketing value" into the mix, if all it is likely to do, is pour doubt on the product?

Now if one particular brand was the only one that peddled it as a new "patented" breakthrough, thus giving them an advantage, then I could see the logic.

Agreed. If there's nothing to gain, there's no point mentioning it. Its almost like, "buy our amplifiers, not everyone else's - we've got inputs!" Yup, you and everyone else.

I don't agree. This whole directionality thing adds to the 'mystique' for the marketing of such cables. It suggests that these manufacturers have taken the time to assess the cables and build them according to to best possible characterisitcs of any given length, something that more run of the mill manufacturers don't bother with. It implies superiority.

It's just another cynical marketing tactic as far as I'm concerned and I'm fairly sure that when tested, these cables would not exhibit any directionality bias in performance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Because it adds to the mystique? But see the link on my previous post which is from a manufacturer who are happy to sell "directional" cables although they know they actually aren't because that's what some customers want.

Chris

It's a possible, but unlikely explanation.

Speaking for myself (and I suspect many others), i don't want a directional cable any more than a directional tyre.......it's a torture to make sure they're fitted correctly. There are much more effective ways to make a cable sound mysterious, that are also easier to swallow.

I still think it is likely to do more harm than good (as shown by this thread, and hundreds of others like it), so why make it up and take the risk.....In my opinion that makes little sense.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
I don't agree. This whole directionality thing adds to the 'mystique' for the marketing of such cables. It suggests that these manufacturers have taken the time to assess the cables and build them according to to best possible characterisitcs of any given length, something that more run of the mill manufacturers don't bother with. It implies superiority.

It's just another cynical marketing tactic as far as I'm concerned and I'm fairly sure that when tested, these cables would not exhibit any directionality bias in performance.

As a person who believes in the benefits of cables, I can tell you that Directionality played no part in influencing my decision.

As a person who thinks it's all b*ll*cks, it suits you to say it does. ;)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Another possible explanation:

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/blog/am-i-a-liar-directional-audio-cables_post40.html

....and in that piece, you will also notice that the theoretical effects can not be measured nor proven audible, this is stated by the author himself.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
CnoEvil said:
Another possible explanation:

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/blog/am-i-a-liar-directional-audio-cables_post40.html

....and in that piece, you will also notice that the theoretical effects can not be measured nor proven audible, this is stated by the author himself.

That is certainly true.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Dave, what do you provide to customers who just want to connect their new systems without 'fancy' cables?

It's of little relevance to you really isnt it as this is a hypothetical situation....

Obviously I require a full set of the necessary connections before taking my system home - and I will pay what's required - but I haven't been convinced of the need to buy anything more expensive and/or my budget is topped out already.

You aren't going to send me home with no cables at all (or tell me to get cables from another shop) because I have come to you for a one-stop solution. So you aren't going to #### me off because I am a new customer whom you don't want to lose for the sake of a difference in opinion over expensive cables.

Take the system home, set it up with the freebie interconnects that come with the products, let the system run in/settle down, see how it sounds, and pop back if you're interested in trying seem better ones out, which you can take home and try. For speaker cable, we do QED 42 and 79 strand cable for those who want to steer clear of "fancy cables". If you don't want to spend any more than a couple of quid on cables, I'm not going to force you - it makes no difference to me or my standard of living.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
Because it adds to the mystique? But see the link on my previous post which is from a manufacturer who are happy to sell "directional" cables although they know they actually aren't because that's what some customers want.

Chris

It's a possible, but unlikely explanation.

Speaking for myself (and I suspect many others), i don't want a directional cable any more than a directional tyre.......it's a torture to make sure they're fitted correctly. There are much more effective ways to make a cable sound mysterious, that are also easier to swallow.

I still think it is likely to do more harm than good (as shown by this thread, and hundreds of others like it), so why make it up and take the risk.....In my opinion that makes little sense.

What about spoilers on domestic cars? They made no difference to performance but at one time pretty much every car had one.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
What about spoilers on domestic cars? They made no difference to performance but at one time pretty much every car had one.

Chris

....but high-lift cams, performance air filters and free flow exhausts did. I had an Irmscher "Auspuff" of the highest quality. :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
It's of little relevance to you really isnt it as this is a hypothetical situation....

It was an alternative to using 'one' or 'the customer' throughout.

David@FrankHarvey said:
Take the system home, set it up with the freebie interconnects that come with the products, let the system run in/settle down, see how it sounds, and pop back if you're interested in trying seem better ones out, which you can take home and try. For speaker cable, we do QED 42 and 79 strand cable for those who want to steer clear of "fancy cables".

Excellent.

Thanks.

If the source component didn't have a 'freebie' interconnect in the box (some don't), what would you sell 'me' instead?

(Whoever suggested Linn K20 earlier, also an excellent idea.)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

....but high-lift cams, performance air filters and free flow exhausts did. I had an Irmscher "Auspuff" of the highest quality. :grin:

That's unlike you! I pointed out something that you said wouldn't happen, ie manufacturers putting something with no function on a product. If it happened with cars, which it did, why shouldn't it happen with cables?

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
That's unlike you! I pointed out something that you said wouldn't happen, ie manufacturers putting something with no function on a product. If it happened with cars, which it did, why shouldn't it happen with cables?

Chris

Spoilers were not something contentious that were argued over, they could be added as an after-market add on, and could be avoided by getting the less sporty model.....so not the same thing. They filled a demand at the time, which directional cables don't. Who goes into a dealer and insists on a directional cable?

Is that better? :grin:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Spoilers were not something contentious that were argued over, they could be added as an after-market add on, and could be avoided by getting the less sporty model.....so not the same thing. They filled a demand at the time, which directional cables don't. Who goes into a dealer and insists on a directional cable?

Is that better? :grin:

If you have read the link I posted you will see that there are people who want directional cables.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
If you have read the link I posted you will see that there are people who want directional cables.

Chris

Well I've yet to meet one.

They want a good cable, and if the one they prefer the sound of happens to be directional, well it's more of a characteristic than a necessity.

I think I'm very typical of the sort of person who believes in the benefits of cables, so I can tell you that it is not an important buying factor.....and that's from the horse's mouth.

If there are any cable believers reading this who bought a cable simply because it was directional, let them step forward and be counted.

TRENDING THREADS