New set up

Jeff T

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site
A bit of background, I use to love to listen to music from vinyl, not out of choice but given my age that's all we had! Eventually CD/DVDs came along and larger TV's so went down a surround sound route which was great although I felt CD's lacked something, as I was overseas my LP collection was left in the UK. I stayed with the surround sound set up when I moved back to the UK but that has given up the ghost and is no more. We have reorganised the downstairs of my home (Living room now a kitchen, Dinning room now the main living room, and old kitchen is in the process of being turned into a study come mans room. The wife is no longer interested in having cables all around the place, and I would like to bring my vinyl back into use (I don't think CD has the same impact as the same vinyl I use to play. Sorry for the long intro here's the question! I would like to have a hifi set up in my study to listen to vinyl (I have an old Technics turntable), i would also like to keep my CD collection, I also intend getting a NAS drive in the future, plus streaming is also on the cards ( I have Amazon Music, but would change to something else). I would like to be able to have the ability to play all this to the living room, kitchen, outside. I could go down the Sonos route (££££) or Cambridge route, or a network amplifier. I do not need to buy everything in one go and I haven't got a money no object, I am looking towards the budget end I suppose, so an Amp I was thinking between £500- £1000. The "wired" room is 9' x 13', I just want to narrow my choice's before I start to look/ listen. Thanks in advance.

rainsoothe

This may be a good place to start, audiolab 6000A play and appears to fit with what I need.
Add Quad Vena 2 Play and Cyrus One Cast to your list - the Cyrus lacks a wired network connection, should you decide to connect your amp with Ethernet because of poor Wi-Fi or whatever. Don't mind the poor review of the Cyrus in WHF, it's just subjectivity, and it has stellar reviews everywhere else (I had one on home dem and it's great). Let your ears decide.

Jeff T

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site
Add Quad Vena 2 Play and Cyrus One Cast to your list - the Cyrus lacks a wired network connection, should you decide to connect your amp with Ethernet because of poor Wi-Fi or whatever. Don't mind the poor review of the Cyrus in WHF, it's just subjectivity, and it has stellar reviews everywhere else (I had one on home dem and it's great). Let your ears decide.
Thanks for the reply, but the 6000APlay is both an amp and streamer basically a combination of the 6000A amp and the 6000N play streamer. It's fairly new out. But will have a look at the items you suggest.

rainsoothe

I'm not sure on speakers, I used to have floor standing ones but with the size of room (9' x13') they may be overkill, so I suspect bookshelf speaker's would be my best bet.
It's up to you, standmounts require stands, so the footprint should be almost the same. And both standmounts and floorstanders require some space away from the wall, there are very few makes that work ok when placed against walls, and they're usually more expensive. That being said, you'll probably struggle to find better than Triangle BR03 (+ stands) or Dali Oberon 5 - both these are pretty well balanced and somewhat forgiving with positioning. Ophidian Mojo and Quad S2 should also be on your radar, if you can afford them.

Reactions: Jeff T

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts