New set up advice please

DaveOfHerts

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I caught the vinyl bug last year and bought a cheapish turntable (Project T1) which I currently use with a 10 year old Sonos play 5 that I had knocking around. Now I'm at a stage where I want to upgrade on the speaker front with an amp and bookshelf speakers. The more research I do the more I seem to go round in circles so I would appreciate some opinions.

The first thing is this description I read about of speakers being warm, bright or neutral. My instinct is that I would prefer something slightly on the warmer side. If I told you that I mostly listen to rock/indie/metal from 60s to 90s, would that sound like the more appropriate end of the spectrum?

Secondly the equipment itself. I have a budget of around about £1000. For the amp I'm pretty much decided on the Cambridge Audio AXR100D. It has the features I want...phono stage, bluetooth, DAB+. Is 100W too much to pair with bookshelf speakers in a small to medium room?

Then the speakers. I've looked at:

Elac Debut B5.2, Dali Oberon 3, Q Acoustic 3030i or 5020, B&W 607 S3 (have read they are a bit heavy on the treble). Any opinions on any of those, or recommendations of alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

I hesitate to mention any other speakers, because as you know there are dozens to choose from. All of those you list are perfectly decent and well worth hearing.

I’m hoping you’re in the UK*, so book a demo with Richer Sounds to hear the receiver with at least two of your speaker possibilities. You’ll soon get an idea of the differences.

The QA are a bit smoother, the Dali and Elac pretty neutral, and B&W a bit airier, all in my experience. Take your own music to be sure! The amplifier isn’t ’too powerful’, you just aren’t stressing it in a normal sized room unless you play at stadium levels - not recommended!

*Maybe Hertfordshire?

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I hesitate to mention any other speakers, because as you know there are dozens to choose from. All of those you list are perfectly decent and well worth hearing.

I’m hoping you’re in the UK*, so book a demo with Richer Sounds to hear the receiver with at least two of your speaker possibilities. You’ll soon get an idea of the differences.

The QA are a bit smoother, the Dali and Elac pretty neutral, and B&W a bit airier, all in my experience. Take your own music to be sure! The amplifier isn’t ’too powerful’, you just aren’t stressing it in a normal sized room unless you play at stadium levels - not recommended!

*Maybe Hertfordshire?
I tend to agree now.
I used to pencil in what I like but it's subjective to the listener.

I did demo the B&W S3’s and liked them but didn't personally think they performed anywhere near aswell as what I came home with in the fyne audio F502s which amaze me everytime I power them on.

The biggest disappointment was the wharfdale Evo 4.4.

I demoed the above current award winner and more over a few weeks in which might help you and somewhat wrote in my findings which I've pasted in.

Post in thread 'Help asap. Wharfdale evo 4.4 or Fyne Audio F501' https://forums.whathifi.com/threads...vo-4-4-or-fyne-audio-f501.132107/post-1328224

Reactions: DaveOfHerts

DaveOfHerts

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site

*Maybe Hertfordshire?
Yes indeed Hertfordshire so a trip to Richer Sounds in Watford could be on the cards. Good advice, thanks.

Reactions: nopiano

DaveOfHerts

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
I tend to agree now.
I used to pencil in what I like but it's subjective to the listener.

I did demo the B&W S3’s and liked them but didn't personally think they performed anywhere near aswell as what I came home with in the fyne audio F502s which amaze me everytime I power them on.

The biggest disappointment was the wharfdale Evo 4.4.

I demoed the above current award winner and more over a few weeks in which might help you and somewhat wrote in my findings which I've pasted in.

Post in thread 'Help asap. Wharfdale evo 4.4 or Fyne Audio F501' https://forums.whathifi.com/threads...vo-4-4-or-fyne-audio-f501.132107/post-1328224
A good read thanks. The Fyne F502 you opted for sound great but due to the ongoing discussion with my other half about having "ugly boxes!" in the front room is does need to be bookshelf not floorstanding speakers!

DaveOfHerts

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
I suggest looking at the Denon PMA900HNE as an alternative to the Cambridge. The only feature it doesn't have is DAB, but internet radio is better anyway, and the overall quality of the Denon is much higher.

Pair that with some Dali Oberon 3s and you will have a very nice system.
That's a very good point about internet radio, thank you. Showing how backwards I am there :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: matthewpianist

TRENDING THREADS