New SAMSUNG OLED TV 2024 - no Apps for BBC iPlayer nor Channel 4

TVELK

May 20, 2024
Visit site
We purchased the new Samsung OLED TV S95D with a 65'' screen from Richer Sounds a couple of weeks ago. After setting it up we noticed that there was no App for Channel 4 on Demand although this is shown on the Samsung adverts. Now BBC iPlayer has also disappeared. These are the functions that we use most and why we bought the TV spending more than £3000.

Apparently, this has to do with licensing agreements between Samsung and Channel 4 /BBC.

We feel completely cheated by Samsung as we now have a TV , which does not meet 2024 requirements. We are so disappointed as we are not interested in any workarounds. We simply want to enjoy the TV as advertised. Can Samsung really get away with this?

R2D2

Apr 17, 2024
Visit site
We purchased the new Samsung OLED TV S95D with a 65'' screen from Richer Sounds a couple of weeks ago. After setting it up we noticed that there was no App for Channel 4 on Demand although this is shown on the Samsung adverts. Now BBC iPlayer has also disappeared. These are the functions that we use most and why we bought the TV spending more than £3000.

Apparently, this has to do with licensing agreements between Samsung and Channel 4 /BBC.

We feel completely cheated by Samsung as we now have a TV , which does not meet 2024 requirements. We are so disappointed as we are not interested in any workarounds. We simply want to enjoy the TV as advertised. Can Samsung really get away with this?
Looks like they already have. You seriously paid £3000 and over for this TV! I just bought the Samsung 65S90C for £1200 and love it. I bet there is a tiny difference in anti reflective ability and picture quality and you don’t get all the problems of a one connect box. See if Richer sounds will refund you or exchange for something else.

abacus

This happens from time to time on all TV platforms when the licencing agreements come up for renewal, however it is normally sorted within a short space of time, so it depends whether you can wait or not, if you can't, then no harm in contacting Richer Sounds, although it might be an idea to contact Samsung first to see what is going on.

Bill

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I’d be amazed if the apps don’t reappear when the licensing is sorted out.

Given Richer Sounds caveat there may be issues with a rejection and a replacement TV could theoretically suffer the same problem. It’s why TVs IMHO ought to be high picture quality but “non Smart” - so that the smarts the user wants can be added, and replaced cheaply if necessary. An old Samsung we had never supported Netflix hence my purchase of a Chromecast when they first came out.

Now our BT box and Sony BD player also have apps so we have options, but personally if a TV otherwise delivered everything I wanted I’d just add a Chromecast or similar.

Good luck. Hope something gets sorted out.

Richer Sounds:

“Please note, this Smart TV features third party Apps. These Apps may be modified or withdrawn at any time. There may also be a delay in launching some of the featured Apps. Catch-up TV Apps may vary by region. The function and availability of apps is not covered by the manufacturer’s or Richer Sounds’ guarantee”

JL say something similar:

A Smart TV is a platform that can run 3rd party Apps. 3rd party content providers may remove Apps from the Smart TV platform or stop supporting them at any time, and we cannot guarantee an App's availability. When new Smart TV products are launched, there may also be a delay before certain Apps become available. Availability of Apps is not included within the terms of the manufacturer's warranty, or the John Lewis 2-year Guarantee for audio visual products, or the 5-year Guarantee for TVs”

TVELK

May 20, 2024
Visit site
Thank you very much for the info, Minkey. I appreciate the technical side (option of using Chromecast) and the disclaimers by Richer Sounds and John Lewis. However, as a consumer, I feel that Samsung has painted a very bleak picture of professionalism considering the size of its market share. Product launches are extremely complex and well-planned undertakings and the fact that a company the size of Samsung was not able to get agreements and licenses in place with main TV App providers before its launch date, does not fill consumers with confidence. What is more, it jeopardises the business of the stockists, who have to resort to petty disclaimers, so that they are not liable for Samsung's shortcomings.
As we bought the TV in store at Richer Sounds, we were not advised of any of these disclaimers. In fact, we cannot be sure that the staff were aware of them as we phoned them yesterday and they said that they did not know anything about this.
We now wish that we had kept our 12-old TV instead of becoming early adopters.

Reactions: Minkey1

Friesiansam

Thank you very much for the info, Minkey. I appreciate the technical side (option of using Chromecast) and the disclaimers by Richer Sounds and John Lewis. However, as a consumer, I feel that Samsung has painted a very bleak picture of professionalism considering the size of its market share. Product launches are extremely complex and well-planned undertakings and the fact that a company the size of Samsung was not able to get agreements and licenses in place with main TV App providers before its launch date, does not fill consumers with confidence. What is more, it jeopardises the business of the stockists, who have to resort to petty disclaimers, so that they are not liable for Samsung's shortcomings.
As we bought the TV in store at Richer Sounds, we were not advised of any of these disclaimers. In fact, we cannot be sure that the staff were aware of them as we phoned them yesterday and they said that they did not know anything about this.
We now wish that we had kept our 12-old TV instead of becoming early adopters.
As it seems the apps are very important to you, next time you buy a TV, make sure they are present BEFORE you purchase.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I’d be amazed if the apps don’t reappear. Given Richer Sounds caveat there may be issues with a rejection and a replacement TV could theoretically suffer the same issue. It’s why TVs IMHO ought to be high picture quality but “non Smart” - so that the smarts the user wants can be added. An old Samsung we had never supported Netflix hence my purchase of a Chromecast when they first came out. Now our BT box and Sony BD player also have apps do we have options, but personally if TV otherwise delivered everything I wanted I’d just add a Chromecast or similar.

Good luck. Hope something gets sorted out.

Richer Sounds:

“Please note, this Smart TV features third party Apps. These Apps may be modified or withdrawn at any time. There may also be a delay in launching some of the featured Apps. Catch-up TV Apps may vary by region. The function and availability of apps is not covered by the manufacturer’s or Richer Sounds’ guarantee”

JL say something similar:

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
The apps can be present at time of purchase , then disappear. They seems to be what’s happened here with iPlayer. As buyers all we’re getting is the right to use an app “for the time being”.

I got fed up with Samsung launching ads for their own TV channels on start up so have just switched to LG. It has a good app list including Apple TV+ and Apple Music but if that changes. I’ll just use the apps on our other BT/Sony sources or if necessary, add a chromecast or similar.

It’s all down to protectionism and ring fencing, but if a brand wants to play silly b*ggers I’ll just go elsewhere 🤷🏼

Another benefit, perhaps, of doing as WHF and Which? magazine often advise, and that is buying last years model at 30-50% discount. Our LG from 2022 was just such, and worked perfectly from Day 1 on all the apps, and still does. But on an older Panasonic in the kitchen we prefer the speed of a Firestick, which regularly gets updated.

Reactions: DougK1 and Minkey1

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
We went for an LG 55C3 for that exact same reason on a Spring Deal from JL this yr. £1079 with 5yr warranty.

The equivalent C4 (admittedly very well rated here) is currently £1900 at JL.

Reactions: nopiano

TVELK

May 20, 2024
Visit site
The apps can be present at time of purchase , then disappear. They seems to be what’s happened here with iPlayer. As buyers all we’re getting is the right to use an app “for the time being”.

I got fed up with Samsung launching ads for their own TV channels on start up so have just switched to LG. It has a good app list including Apple TV+ and Apple Music but if that changes. I’ll just use the apps on our other BT/Sony sources or if necessary, add a chromecast or similar.

It’s all down to protectionism and ring fencing, but if a brand wants to play silly b*ggers I’ll just go elsewhere 🤷🏼
Yes, you are right. That is what happened. It disappeared afterwards. We watched it for a week without a problem. We have also been in touch with Samsung and they are allegedly 'working on the problem' but with absolutely no time scale, other than a.s.a.p. We are of course aware of all the workarounds but this is definitely the last time that we have bought a Samsung TV.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It’s a real shame if the TV otherwise meets your needs. Seems like Samsung Legal/Licensing don’t talk much to Samsung Marketing 🤷🏼

We live in such a world.

Reactions: TVELK

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Never buy a TV for its apps or a radio for its internet radio stations.
I learnt the lesson the hard way too a long time ago with an internet radio.

Use a smartphone you connect to your TV instead.

TRENDING THREADS