New Rega rp1 some questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am very much enjoying my brand new rega turntable rp1. Just a few basic questions?
How long on average should I wait before changing the belt and the stylus?

I really like the sound the deck produces and thats what counts. I was expecting a slightly better finish to the unit. but I guess thats what you pay for.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
1000 - 1500 playing hours for the stylus. Belt every few years.

Keep the instructions (.PDF file) and follow them. They seem a little quirky but are pretty sound.

Before you switch on the motor, gently rotate the platter with your fingertip first. It takes a lot of the strain off the belt (and the motor) and does a lot to prolong it's useful life.

Don't switch off/on between changing LPs or sides. If the felt mat is too thin, and clings onto the record, then order a (heavier) P3 mat from your Rega dealer in a pretty colour for about £10 :) (Last time I bought one it was £11.)

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
1000 - 1500 playing hours for the stylus. Belt every few years.

Keep the instructions (.PDF file) and follow them. They seem a little quirky but are pretty sound.

Before you switch on the motor, gently rotate the platter with your fingertip first. It takes a lot of the strain off the belt (and the motor) and does a lot to prolong it's useful life.

Don't switch off/on between changing LPs or sides. If the felt mat is too thin, and clings onto the record, then order a (heavier) P3 mat from your Rega dealer in a pretty colour for about £10 :) (Last time I bought one it was £11.)

Many thanks for the advice. Neat tip for rotating the platter before switching on the motor. I see from your signature you have gone all minimal. great machine the Marantz. Do you miss the vinyl sound ? I am currently listening to Supertramp live in Paris and it sound sso natural. I think the Rega will turn out to be one of my better Hi Fi purchases. A lifetime guarantee none the less.

p.s whats your take on using a carbon fibre cleaning brush?

cheers Chebby

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
The Limey said:
p.s whats your take on using a carbon fibre cleaning brush? cheers Chebby

Consider buying a record cleaning machine, even if it's Knosti. Knosti costs only twice as much a cleaning brush and IMHO eliminates the need for a brush. I found that dust does not stick to records cleaned in Knosti with the home-made solution (1 isopropyl alcohol, 4 water, few drops of the wetting agent), so decided not to buy a brush. It's also good to clean new records esp. those in paper sleeves as they carry huge static and attract massive amounts of dust.

A

Anonymous

I am really enjoying the sound of guitars and sax with this turntable.

TRENDING THREADS