New Rega Brio on the way!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Some pics.

7573acb49a774bf590d3f36675ef54c9_zpsxm2m16ee.jpg

matthewpiano

The biggest issue with the Brio-R is the slightly cheap look. This 're-design' doesn't really address that and if anything the new volume control looks even worse.

However, I doubt Rega would release any new product simply as a cosmetic update. I would think there will be some worthwhile internal changes, hopefully including more successful shielding of the transformer from the signal path.

Is that a headphone output I see on the front??

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The biggest issue with the Brio-R is the slightly cheap look. This 're-design' doesn't really address that and if anything the new volume control looks even worse.

However, I doubt Rega would release any new product simply as a cosmetic update. I would think there will be some worthwhile internal changes, hopefully including more successful shielding of the transformer from the signal path.

Is that a headphone output I see on the front??

i'm with you on this one! And don't like the new look as well. The old Brios had personality, the last one had a simple/ugly/good looking all in one look... That looks like a headphone input, yes!

matthewpiano

Info posted on Facebook by Paul Hobson from Moorgate Acoustics:

Brand new case design.
The Brio has a completely new case to house its improved circuits and parts. It now sits in a fully aluminium two-part case which boosts the Brio’s heatsinking capabilities and improves on Rega’s already solid build quality and reliability.
The sleek and minimal look was designed to bring elegance to Rega’s classic style but still harks back to the swooped features hidden away in Rega’s past amplifiers.
Combining all these aspects makes this Brio case a unique standpoint amongst the competition.
Re-designed circuit.
Key improvements have been made to the circuits. The PCB layout has been fully upgraded to handle higher specifications for all critical parts.
A second raw power supply has been added to provide further isolation between output stage and the driver stage/line and phono amplifiers.
This improves the isolation between high and low level signal stages of the amplifier.
Higher specification MUSES operational amplifiers have been used in the line and phono amplifier.
Headphone Socket.
For convenience, the Brio has the capability to drive standard hi-fi headphones from the internal amplifier.
Adding a headphone socket was only possible by finding a way to reduce its impact on the main signal path so it doesn’t disrupt the overall sound quality.
We have paid special attention to the switch that deactivates the main speakers. This is achieved by the same relay used in Rega’s other amplifier models.
Power.
50Watts RMS both channels driven into the rated load of 8Ω
73Watts RMS both channels driven into the rated load of 4Ω

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
manicm said:
Update from the horses mouth. Volume control looks intriguing - is that a glass center? Regal needs to embrace digital though - why not a matching streamer?

Ditto - I think the central part of the volume control could be hiding a display of some sort? Also, like the Cyrus One, why no digital input?!? *unknw*

tino said:
manicm said:
Update from the horses mouth. Volume control looks intriguing - is that a glass center? Regal needs to embrace digital though - why not a matching streamer?

Ditto - I think the central part of the volume control could be hiding a display of some sort? Also, like the Cyrus One, why no digital input?!? *unknw*

Because if you have a digital input you'd need to incorporate a DAC section and thus push the price up. There is a reason to keep a simple amp in your line-up.

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I love the Rega sound and this new Brio looks very stylish to me. Is it indeed all aluminium?

I really really hope the front is not that glossy plastic material used in the -r series.

matthewpiano

Diamond Joe said:
matthewpiano said:
...the new volume control looks even worse.
Completely disagree with you, the old volume knob looked like something from Maplins. This one, at least, looks like it's been custom made and looks quite nice IMO.
Each to his own. I actually think my A400 is much prettier than either of them, and a better amp than the Brio-R too (can't comment on the forthcoming Brio obviously).

manicm

Al ears said:
tino said:
manicm said:

Because if you have a digital input you'd need to incorporate a DAC section and thus push the price up. There is a reason to keep a simple amp in your line-up.

I certainly didn't say that, I want Rega to offer a matching seperate streamer. That's a glaring omission in their line-up. They have a pure DAC, but I still don't see any value in a standalone DAC when many streamers have digital inputs as well.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Al ears said:
tino said:
manicm said:

Ditto - I think the central part of the volume control could be hiding a display of some sort? Also, like the Cyrus One, why no digital input?!? *unknw*

I certainly didn't say that, I want Rega to offer a matching seperate streamer. That's a glaring omission in their line-up. They have a pure DAC, but I still don't see any value in a standalone DAC when many streamers have digital inputs as well.

Agree. A DAC/Streamer makes sense but pure Streamers in this day and age when you can buy a CCA for less than a meal out for two doesn't make to much sense anymore imho.

shadders

drummerman said:
manicm said:
Al ears said:
tino said:
manicm said:

Agree. A DAC/Streamer makes sense but pure Streamers in this day and age when you can buy a CCA for less than a meal out for two doesn't make to much sense anymore imho.
Hi,

What is a CCA? I looked it up and could not find out what it means.

Does not a dedicated streamer allow you to see which tracks are playing etc., without having to switch the TV to the streamer and interrupt the picture.

This means no cost of a NAS, or a noisy PC which may be wasting power.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

drummerman said:
manicm said:
Al ears said:
tino said:
manicm said:

Hi,

Whoops, double post.

Regards,

Shadders.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
drummerman said:
manicm said:
Al ears said:
tino said:
manicm said:

Ditto - I think the central part of the volume control could be hiding a display of some sort? Also, like the Cyrus One, why no digital input?!? *unknw*

Hi,

Does not a dedicated streamer allow you to see which tracks are playing etc., without having to switch the TV to the streamer and interrupt the picture.

Regards,

Shadders.

That's what a Chromecast (Audio) ala CCA does.

30 quid or less.

shadders

drummerman said:
shadders said:
drummerman said:
manicm said:
Al ears said:
tino said:
manicm said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

That's what a Chromecast (Audio) ala CCA does.

30 quid or less.
Hi,

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts