New receiver for my Quad speakers

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Since years I have a Marantz SR6003. This plays on a Quad pair of Quad 21L2 speakers along with Quad center and surround speakers (9L2).

The sound I always found something to dull sound absent. Probably due to a combination of a receiver with a warmer sound and a set of speakers with the same timbre.

When I bought the receiver, I had Tannoy speakers, who were much more direct and open.

Now I can sell my Marantz well and I can look for another receiver.
The choice here is in the range 600-850 euro. Rather a 'old model' model from a higher class with extra power, than a new model with airplay and spotify.

I would like a more open and direct sounding receiver with more power. The speakers can use quite some power. I could go for the bi-amp route next time.
Stereo sound is more important to me than surround. 4K support is nice, because I still expected years to do this receiver.

These models have my interest.

Onkyo TX-NR818 699 euro
Marantz SR7007 999 euro
Denon AVR-3313 774 euro
Denon X4000 999 euro
Yamaha A1020 1069 euro

The Marantz SR7007 is often referred to by shops and a should be a fantastic good receiver. I'm afraid this is going to sound 'warm' again.
The AVR-3313 is claimed that this is a SR7007 in another jacket (the same holding), so I fear a warm timbre.

Which receiver do you recommend me? Do you have other options?

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for the layout... I did use Enter
smiley-smile.gif

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Stay away from Marantz if your speakers ain't right! I had the SR7005 and it made my front speakers sound incredibly veiled and dull. It's a shame because it's has such a detailed sound, with fantastic sound layering and it can steer effects around a room with such speed and accuracy that really puts a big smile on your face when watching movies. It's a great home cinema amp but for stereo sources it depends too much on the speakers you use. The other you've just mentioned aren't in the same level tbh. I had a higher Yamaha model and I found it a bit dull too, not because the treble lacked sparkle or the bass wasn't deep enough, far from it. What it lacked was upper bass which gives movie soundtracks and music that special sense of slam and rhythm. The sound was too biased towards the opposite ends of the spectrum... good and clear highs and fantastic deep bass but it lacked something inbetween. Not too mention that dialogue coming from the centre channel lacked clarity and it didn't sound right to my ears or some reason. So Yamaha would be a no to me. The Onkyo would probably be fine with movies but not great with music I guess. The Marantz would be the best choice if the speakers were a good match but I wouldn't risk it. Instead I'd go for a receiver that combines the best qualities of the Marantz without the drawbacks regarding the speaker matching. And that receiver is the Anthem MRX300. The sound quality on this receiver defies its price tag and makes midrange receivers from the likes of Yamaha, Denon and Marantz look overpriced. It's so musical and such an amazing machine with both movies and music. I wouldn't even hesitate in getting one over those you've mentioned. You wouldn't regret believe me ;)

Hi Heyjijdaar

If you can stretch your budget then Anthem's MRX 300 AV receiver is also worth serious consideration as the MRX 300 is superb at reproducing music and movie soundtracks. You should find the Anthem's clean, tight, punchy, weighty, grippy and dynamic sound to form an excellent match with your Quad speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd never came up with the Anthem MRX 300 AV by myself. It sounds like an interesting amp, but why did'nt they make it look more pretty. :oops:

I did try to find a reseller in the Netherlands, I can't find one at the moment. So I'm not sure if I can go that way...
Besides isn't that 75W out a bit lower in power than my 100W SR6003?

I did ask some resellers the same question. All of them seem to give high credits to the Marantz SR7007, even when I point out that my SR6003 sounded dull/laidback. I can get the SR7007 for 850 euro new, surely a strong amp for that kind of money.

If any of you have any opinions and other options, I would like to hear them.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The Anthem doesn't lack power at all. In fact to my ears it sounded more powerful than the Marantz SR7005 I had before which is rated at 125W per channel. It attacks those movie scenes with even more authority and grip. The Marantz is just too laidback and can make wrong matching speakers sound very lifeless so be aware of the risk. If you had that problem with the SR6003 the 7007 will be no different. I had the same problem with the 7005 so never again. The Anthem is also a good looking machine, not ugly at all. And it's very compact compared to the likes of Yamaha for example so it really fits much better on a cabinet. But most of all it sounds amazing with movies and music. With music in particular it sounds much better than any receiver I heard, some costing twice as much. With movies it's just as amazing. Independently of what you buy you should listen to one just to see (and hear) what's the fuss all about. The musicality of the Anthem, combined with its tight and powerful sound and the way it reproduces movie soundtracks, especially through the very crucial centre channel, with the clarity and richness that is necessary to achieve a great home cinema experience (something that the Yamaha couldn't replicate) won me over easily. I never heard a better sounding receiver so wouldn't even risk buying another. Might add a power amp in the future but that will be it, I'm more than happy with what I've got. Having said that, out of the receivers you've mentioned if I had to pick one it would be the Onkyo. Apparently they are much better with stereo sources than in the past and it's a powerful machine. But I wouldn't buy a receiver from Marantz or Yamaha again. From Denon I had the 1911 and I loved it! Fantastic stereo sound and quite a bargain! But if the higer models are as laidback sounding as the equivalent priced Marantz I wouldn't risk buying one without auditioning first.

Good luck with your search for the perfect amp ;)

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed information.

I did found a reseller in the Netherlands, but they ask 1399 euro for the Anthem. That's a bit over my budget, but I'll look if I find it elsewhere.

Are there any other options to be considered?

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The obvious manufacturer to mention if you can’t stretch to the Anthem would be a Pioneer. That will definitely liven things up. If you can also Bi-Amp the Quads on the front it will help, I always found that this gave them a bit of a kick up the butt they needed.

I would have to agree with Rick @ Musicraft though. The real solution is to do it once, and do it with an Anthem.

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I might be able to get an Anthem MRX500 from a shop that closes this saterday for 1299 euro. It's has been on a shelf, gets full warranty. Only downside is that when I want to get service I have to drive to the nearest shop 70 km away.

I'm convincing myself that stretching my budget, without a real auditioning. All reviews from the Anthems point out that they are special.

Now I narrowed the list down to:

Anthem MRX500 €1299
Yamaha A1020 €899
Denon X4000 €999
Marantz SR7007 €799

I think my money would say the Marantz is a great deal at that price. I think that the A1020 is a bit lower-end than most.

The only thing that keeps me thinking... wouldn't it be great to combine a slimline receiver with pre-outs with an ampfifier. But I don't know to go that route and what's needed. Would this sound better?

T

the record spot

It's not slimline by any means, but if you can find Onkyo's TX-NR818 you should get that on a very healthy discount now that the new 828 model is out. Mine came with 40% off, so it's worth shopping round. Sound quality is excellent and there's ample power on tap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts