New Pro-ject Debut Carbon Creaking Lid

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,

First post so please go easy if I'm asking a stupid question.

How do I stop the dust cover or lid as we used to call them in the olden days, on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon from creaking like a door in a Hammer Horror B movie?

I'v tried loosening and tightening but it still creaks.

Some days it is silent and moves with a smooth action and then suddenly it starts to creak again and the motion is juddery. Then it will return to smooth and silent again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MrT

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello chebby, thanks for the reply.

It's only 3 months old, should they need replacing so soon?

It sounds more like the plastic lid groaning than the hinges, but I might be wrong.

It's a really horrible sound that makes your hair stand on end.

MrT

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MrTeroo said:
Hello chebby, thanks for the reply.

It's only 3 months old, should they need replacing so soon?

It sounds more like the plastic lid groaning than the hinges, but I might be wrong.

It's a really horrible sound that makes your hair stand on end.

MrT

Edit the title of your post to read something like "New Pro-ject Debut Carbon lid creaking."

That will hopefully attract the attention of the UK importers Henley Designs who often help their customers out here.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Pro-Ject hinges are simple beasts.

They're tightened and loosened by the two philips screws that hold the hinge to the deck.
The trick is to get them level, and not skewed to the left or right, which will make them creak.
left.jpg
right.jpg

If you can't eliminate the creak by getting them lined up correctly then check that the travel limiting stop grub screw isn't wound in to far. It it is it will dig into the inside of the hinge. Loosen it off - wind it back in until you feel a touch of resistence, then wind it back out a few turns. It's a long old screw and is just there to stop the lid opening too far.
lock%20screw.jpg
screw%20removed.jpg

The amount of creak depends on how far you tighten the two screws that hold the hinge onto the plinth, these squeeze the hinge together to stop the lid being to sloppy. You just have to experiment with getting them alligned straight and the correct amount of tightness. If you're suffering from extreme squeak, then strip them down and clean them. I wouldn't use a lube as this might stop the hinge gripping enough to support the lid. But you're mileage may vary. Have a play - they're simple bits of kit.
hinge.jpg

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
You obviously put a lot of time into that reply and it is much appreciated.

a day after my last post, without any further changes the hinges went silent and smooth. They have stayed that way (touch wood).

If they start to creak again I will definitely try what you say.

thanks again!

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Just to conclude this. My hinges began creaking again out of the blue.

After taking them off I noticed that the metal part was very stiff in the plastic part, even when off the turntable.

So touch wood I have now solved it by putting a couple of cardboard shims in to widen the plastic part. Shims go between the two sides that the screws go through. This allows the metal part to move freely now.

The hinge factory obviously don't work to very tight tolerances!

nickclass

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Had the same problem with my new hinges and came across this thread searching for a solution. Cardboard shims have worked like a charm! Thanks for posting!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts