Visit site
BETTER? BEFORE...
2337508788_a6bb17c13f.jpg
AFTER...
2402059614_274b540ef8.jpg

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Simon Lucas"]Not only better but spring-cleaned too.

I'm not sure how welcome photos of forum-users' bedrooms are, mind you.[/quote]

Well we would mind see you bedroom's photo
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Oh SOO much better..

But doesn't the bureau door knock that beautiful speaker whenever you go for a pair of trousers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
A great improvement, but both speakers still much too close to objects to the side of them, and the left channel speaker in particular firmly in the boom zone with that nice resonant wardrobe next to it.

Is that a sub next to the unit on which the system is standing? If so, it'll probably resonate through the storage unit, and may cause feedback problems via the turntable.

Oh, and the CD player on top of the amp will cook very nicely, and may cause the amp to overheat - not good...

Well, you did ask...

A

Anonymous

No please, I appreciate the pointers! I won't take offence, honest! ; )

That isn't a sub next to the hi-fi table thingy, it's an old Marshall guitar amp which I don't use anymore...it doesn't get used so it won't affect anything hopefully! The left speaker is, I know, still to close to the wardrobe - however it is an improvement over how close it was previously, so I think it will do for now...(if only I can persuede my parents to let me put the system downstairs)!

Those speakers are 190cm apart measured from the middle of them (ie the F of Wharfedale) and my seating position is around 230cm away. Does this sound about right? I have the speakers toed in around 2 degrees which using a bit of trigonometry means I should be seated WAY futher back to get the correct stereo effect...hmmm....any suggestions?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Try toeing them in so the speaker axes cross just in front of your listening position. It may look a bit extreme, but it'll give you excellent stereo imaging

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Wild Willy"]Are the borders on the wallpaper Russ Andrew's idea?[/quote]

Ha ha ha, no doubt! I can see the marketing campaign "Improve the sonic ability of your system with Russ Andrew's new Reference Wallpaper. Guaranteed to be better than Dulux Once Matt and Crown Quick Dry or your money back!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Try toeing them in so the speaker axes cross just in front of your listening position. It may look a bit extreme, but it'll give you excellent stereo imaging
[/quote]

Okay! I'll give it a shot and reveal the results in two hours time! Got Nick Cave album today! Woohoo! What happened to the Bad Seeds anybody?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

Just for interest, (and to semi-hijack...) what should you do if the opposite is true i.e. you can't put the speakers any further apart, but you have to sit further away than recommended...just leave them face-on?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

Just for interest, (and to semi-hijack...) what should you do if the opposite is true i.e. you can't put the speakers any further apart, but you have to sit further away than recommended...just leave them face-on?
[/quote]

I'm no expert, but I doubt conventional speakers are designed to be toed out, thus I would think face-on is best. All speakers today have quite a wide sound dispersion so I should think straight is right. Perhaps even give it a couple of degrees inwards!

Listening to my system now, I have got by far superior imaging but a much more sibillant treble (which is hurting my ears a little at -18db or more) and I could also do with a bit more thump in the bass rather than the droning it is giving (most likely because it is too close to the wardrobe, wall etc) would upgrading to a CD192 improve this or perhaps give a more dynamic sound by going for a Naim Nait 5 CD player.

Has anybody else here heard the Wharfedale EVO2 30s? In WHF they comment on them "lacking power and drive", but have "decent detail resolution" and that was when they were in the £650 range rather than the £250 you can get them for now!

Cheers!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
A great improvement, but both speakers still much too close to objects to the side of them, and the left channel speaker in particular firmly in the boom zone with that nice resonant wardrobe next to it.

Is that a sub next to the unit on which the system is standing? If so, it'll probably resonate through the storage unit, and may cause feedback problems via the turntable.

Oh, and the CD player on top of the amp will cook very nicely, and may cause the amp to overheat - not good...

Well, you did ask...

[/quote]

I dread to think of what you'd make of my speaker placement as I have less room for the speakers which have to go in the corners

Thomas080.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thoughts of "Boom! Shake the room" by Jazzy Jeff and the fresh prince, spring to mind! ; )

A

Anonymous

One of mine is a bit too close to a wall for comfort... I've found if I leave the bamboo blinds I have on the window there down the negative effect of the wall is considerably lowered. But more importantly I've found toe-in to almost completely rectify the wall-effect. I've got my boxes just shy of crossing paths at my listening position.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The biggest problem i can see by far is the wall paper. It may introduce halluzinations leading to a trance like state which will impair your hearing in turn.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]One of mine is a bit too close to a wall for comfort... I've found if I leave the bamboo blinds I have on the window there down the negative effect of the wall is considerably lowered. But more importantly I've found toe-in to almost completely rectify the wall-effect. I've got my boxes just shy of crossing paths at my listening position.[/quote]

Bamboo, there's your problem. ;o)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Has anybody else here heard the Wharfedale EVO2 30s? In WHF they comment on them "lacking power and drive", but have "decent detail resolution" and that was when they were in the £650 range rather than the £250 you can get them for now![/quote]

Yeah, I auditioned them lately, lured in by their fantastic looks and that attractive price. Walked out later that afternoon with a pair of standmounts. I found the Wharfdales to be a bit muddy in the midrange with rock, although nice with acoustic music. Not to my taste though. It might be that my amp (PM6002) was a bit underpowered to get the best out of them though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tractorboy"][quote user="Hughes123"]Has anybody else here heard the Wharfedale EVO2 30s? In WHF they comment on them "lacking power and drive", but have "decent detail resolution" and that was when they were in the £650 range rather than the £250 you can get them for now![/quote]

Yeah, I auditioned them lately, lured in by their fantastic looks and that attractive price. Walked out later that afternoon with a pair of standmounts. I found the Wharfdales to be a bit muddy in the midrange with rock, although nice with acoustic music. Not to my taste though. It might be that my amp (PM6002) was a bit underpowered to get the best out of them though.[/quote]

Cheers! I'm just not sure they are very good...they just don't sound quite right for me! I'm seriously toying with the idea of getting some B&W 805s, but I would have to add a sub to that to get the bass I want...decisions, decisions...and then my CD player would be holding it all back! Are there any other speakers I could consider around this price?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Are there any other speakers I could consider around this price?[/quote]Hate to sound like a broken record but.. Rainmakers! Oh and the Arro... dunno UK prices though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts