New phono stage

jimm

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
I have just upgraded my project debut 3 se by adding a orfoton om-30 stylus and speedbox, although it's still a entry level deck it now sounds in a different league. I'd like to add a better phono amp replacing my pro-ject phono (£70). I will eventually buy a better deck so spending as bit more on a new phono isnt a problem as it will eventually be partnered with something like a decent Rega. I was think about buying a Rega fono mk2 or pro-ject tube box, would either be good a choice? How much of an impact does a better phono make and can it add warmth or make the sound brighter? Any advice would be welcome.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
at the Graham Slee website and forum and consider trying one or two of his models on home loan. We've two in our house a Reflex M (almost top of the range) and Genera (bottom of the range) which I built for my son (it comes in kit form). We're delighted with both.

jimm

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for posting mate. I had a look on the site, the slee communicator looks good and is within my budget. That said, i am still wondering if buying a better phono is a good upgrade or worth spending the money on?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If you are going to eventually replace with a decent Rega, I presume you mean an RP3 ?

I know you have a Project deck but the step up from say an RP1 to an RP3 is quite significant, it has the best arm on a turntable in its price range, the RP6 is another step up and come with a its own dedicated PSU that doubles as a speed control box too.

Personally I would upgrade your deck first then phono stage

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
... the Project or Rega turntables so can't comment on which to upgrade first, but I do know that my phono stage is the single best bit of kit I have ever bought, in respect of lifting from the previous level. Previously, I used my amps built in phono stage.

Hay Jim,I'm in exactly the same boat as you.just upgraded my cart to the 2m blue and wondering what first turntable or stage,obviously the stage being the least expensive would be easier to do first but will definitely bring the least sonic improvements,but if both units are being purchased at some point anyway ""what's the difference"".the cart you just bought is probably going to be the biggest difference you'll hear out of any upgrade,apart from a £1000+tt.

jimm

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mark, when i do upgrade it will be something like Rega rp6. I will buy a better Phono stage probaly a Rega fono mk2, that will do me and will be perfect for when i purchase my new turntable. I don't expect miracles from a new phono stage maybe a slighty more smooth refined sound.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
IMO: upgrading a phono stage from a decent or good one to a very good one (can be had for less then GBP300 second hand) brings an improvement in the range of upgrading a cart from a good (GBP150) to an excellent one (GBP400).

And the phono stage doesn't wear off in a couple of thousands hours of use.

I'd look at used Trichord Dino (MK1) - fair used price ~GBP175 - or Dino MKII with Dino+ psu (GBP350-400).

And also Dynavector P-75 (~GBP250) or P-75 MKII (~GBP300).

All of the phono stages mentioned also offer great flexibility and can be used with MM carts and a wide variety of MC carts, should you experiment in the future. And most likely can be the last phono stage you ever buy, or at least be completely adequate, until you upgrade your deck into GBP2000+ area and cart in the area beyond GBP1000.

And actually, yes, you can expect at least a small miracle from a good phono stage - not just a slight improvement.

Graham Slee, meh, I'd forget about it.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
The best you can expect is recommendations from people with experience of what they recommend. This won't tell you whether you'll agree or disgree with any of us, so the only thing to do is draw up a short list and have a good extended listen to a few. i would advise against plug-pulling-back-to-back-comparisons. Ideal, but very difficult to acheive, is a couple of weeks with candidate A before switching to candidate B (or what you have already) for a couple of weeks and then back again; this should give a much better idea of which you prefer or of which brings out more in the music.

TRENDING THREADS