New (or used) amp for around £300

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm starting to upgrade my system from an old Denon mini to proper separates and I'd like some help please!

I'm planning on running a Mac Mini through a DAC (Beresford Caiman probably), and a Linn LP12 (barely touched since the 70's, occasional use only) through an amp of some description into some B&W 601 s1 speakers.

I've got a budget of around £300 and I'm not adverse to buying used. I've been recommended a few things and can demo some (marantz, yamaha and NAD) but I quite like the idea of getting more for my money by buying used.

I listen to a range of stuff, but no classical (closest I get is Metallica S&M).

So what would you all suggest?

A

Anonymous

jimijazz:
I'm starting to upgrade my system from an old Denon mini to proper separates and I'd like some help please!

I'm planning on running a Mac Mini through a DAC (Beresford Caiman probably), and a Linn LP12 (barely touched since the 70's, occasional use only) through an amp of some description into some B&W 601 s1 speakers.

I've got a budget of around £300 and I'm not adverse to buying used. I've been recommended a few things and can demo some (marantz, yamaha and NAD) but I quite like the idea of getting more for my money by buying used.

I listen to a range of stuff, but no classical (closest I get is Metallica S&M).

I know I have a soft spot for the company, but for £300, the Musical Fidelity A3 is one of the best cheap used integrated amps you can buy. They usually sell for £300 ish for the a3, £320 for the A3.2. There are two on eBay just now I think :)

A

Anonymous

Monstrous:

I know I have a soft spot for the company, but for £300, the Musical Fidelity A3 is one of the best cheap used integrated amps you can buy. They usually sell for £300 ish for the a3, £320 for the A3.2. There are two on eBay just now I think :)

Hmm... I've been recommended them by someone else actually. Why do you have a soft spot for them, how well would they work with my speakers, and how would you describe the sound of the amp (bright/warm)?

Thanks

jimijazz:Monstrous:

Hmm... I've been recommended them by someone else actually. Why do you have a soft spot for them, how well would they work with my speakers, and how would you describe the sound of the amp (bright/warm)?

Thanks

This would be ideal - great synergy with B&W

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rotel-RA06-Integrated-Amplifier-/170606692109?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27b8f3870d

Or even look at Arcam Alpha 8 or DIVA A85. All these with give a neutral sound, depending on the presentation of your source(s).

A

Anonymous

jimijazz:Monstrous:

Thanks

I just have a massive soft spot for Musical Fidelity as I know the company quite well, their history etc, and I know how well they've done.

As for the A3; It's detailed across the range with a warmth from the midrange down, it images really well. The bass extension and slam are both great, due to it being class AB. The high end is on the side of aneutral feel but detailed well, which should suit your B&W's as the tweeters really are turned up to 11!

A

Anonymous

Monstrous:

I just have a massive soft spot for Musical Fidelity as I know the company quite well, their history etc, and I know how well they've done.

As for the A3; It's detailed across the range with a warmth from the midrange down, it images really well. The bass extension and slam are both great, due to it being class AB. The high end is on the side of aneutral feel but detailed well, which should suit your B&W's as the tweeters really are turned up to 11!

That sounds ideal although I've never found the top end of the B&W's harsh.

A

Anonymous

you could check out this mint marantz pm7001 ki sig on ebay, a few days left on the auction, current bid is £235.

i've just got the standard 7001 and it's excellent, very powerful and sounds great, the ki sig version is said to offer a step up in performance. a friend has the pm66 ki sig paired with b&w 601 speakers and he loves the combo..

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
jimijazz:

If you like the NAD 326 when you audition it, let me know as mine is for sale!

A

Anonymous

As above really...

The likes of a decent 2nd hand NAD C352, C355BEE amp would be good as would the Rotel RA06 or an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated IMO

T

the record spot

Look around the likes of Audio Emotion, Emporium Hi Fi and Retro Reproduction to see what you're options are. That's a decent budget and the LP12 deserves a good amp, arguably better than the likes of the budget ones mentioned so far. The Arcam 10 and the Musical Fidelity or Radford gear would all be good. Have patience and do some research into the options. The high end amps of the 1970s and 80s will probably do a far better job but will need additional TLC over time and at least an initial service, but will fit your provided budget as is. Gumtree is another good source - a nearly new McIntosh MA6300 amp came on there recently at £600 for instance...

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Look around the likes of Audio Emotion, Emporium Hi Fi and Retro Reproduction to see what you're options are. That's a decent budget and the LP12 deserves a good amp, arguably better than the likes of the budget ones mentioned so far. The Arcam 10 and the Musical Fidelity or Radford gear would all be good. Have patience and do some research into the options. The high end amps of the 1970s and 80s will probably do a far better job but will need additional TLC over time and at least an initial service, but will fit your provided budget as is. Gumtree is another good source - a nearly new McIntosh MA6300 amp came on there recently at £600 for instance...

I'm sure it would, but the budget doesn't really allow for much more and to be honest, most of the listening will be done using the Mac Mini. Also, the LP12 is very old (serial number is 13XXX) and hasn't had many upgrades in its life so would need a fair bit spent on it to realise its potential.

jimijazz:

the record spot:Look around the likes of Audio Emotion, Emporium Hi Fi and Retro Reproduction to see what you're options are. That's a decent budget and the LP12 deserves a good amp, arguably better than the likes of the budget ones mentioned so far. The Arcam 10 and the Musical Fidelity or Radford gear would all be good. Have patience and do some research into the options. The high end amps of the 1970s and 80s will probably do a far better job but will need additional TLC over time and at least an initial service, but will fit your provided budget as is. Gumtree is another good source - a nearly new McIntosh MA6300 amp came on there recently at £600 for instance...

I'm sure it would, but the budget doesn't really allow for much more and to be honest, most of the listening will be done using the Mac Mini. Also, the LP12 is very old (serial number is 13XXX) and hasn't had many upgrades in its life so would need a fair bit spent on it to realise its potential.

Look at my earlier post - B&W and Rotel.... won't go far wrong. Great to upgrade too, along with Arcam they produce some of the finest power amps, if the need arises.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

Look at my earlier post - B&W and Rotel.... won't go far wrong. Great to upgrade too, along with Arcam they produce some of the finest power amps, if the need arises.

Bizarrely, I was/am already watching that Rotel amp. I think I'll see if I can get the MF A3 for less than £300 and go for the Rotel as a 2nd option.

jimijazz:plastic penguin:

Bizarrely, I was/am already watching that Rotel amp. I think I'll see if I can get the MF A3 for less than £300 and go for the Rotel as a 2nd option.

Ironically, I had the A300 on home trial a few years back and it sounded.... let's just say, not pleasant: It was very wooly. This model retailed at £1,300.

T

the record spot

jimijazz:

The point, really, was not to spend outwith your budget, rather the possibilities offered by the likes of Gumtree and the prices you can achieve in buying from it.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:
The point, really, was not to spend outwith your budget, rather the possibilities offered by the likes of Gumtree and the prices you can achieve in buying from it.

Good point - I misunderstood. Unfortunately Gumtree is fairly limited up here in Carlisle. Ebay is probably still my best bet for used, although I'll definitely check out the second hand retailers you suggested.

A

Anonymous

i sold my rotel 1062 last week for only £280. immaculate condition.it was an absolute powerhouse of an amp. once had in paired with some pmc fb1i's and it was a humbling experience

A

Anonymous

One other thought which I hadn't really considered - phono stages.

I've been on the phone to Ric at Musicraft and he suggested (as have others) a NAD C370. Now this doesn't have a phono stage so if I wanted to use my LP12 with it, I'd need an external one.

Considering the other amps I'm looking at (Rotel RA-06, Musical Fidelity A3, Marantz PM6003) all have inbuilt phono stages, what would be an equivalent external one? I'm not talking mega bucks, just something that is as good as that which could be found in most £200 - £350 integrated amps.

TRENDING THREADS