New Onkyo using existing speakers

Abbo1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Sony AV amp and speaker package, which was bought as an all in one thing about 5 or six years ago.

I want to upgrade the whole system, but cannot afford to replace both Amp and speakers, so here was the plan.

I was going to buy the Onkyo NR609, but use the exisitng speakers. As the speakers came part of a set (with the Amp) they have the little connectors that plug into the back of the amp. What I had planned was to cut these connectors and then use the exisitng speakers by connecting up the speaker wires. I know these speakers aren't the greatest, but this should work?

The plan is to then save for the speakers in about 6 months.

Any thoughts?

Abbo1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Will gather some info. Anything in particular you need?

I also have a pair of B&W 602's, and wondered if I would be able to utilise these as well in the meantime.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like you're talking about the Sony DAVS systems. Most of them used passive subs, and if this is the case, won't be able to be used with current AV amps (well, it can, but not easily, and it won't be reproducing the dedicated sub channel that's encoded onto DVD's or Blurays). The Sony systems had a set, internal crossover, and the signal sent to the small satellites was set quite high as they couldn't really handle much low frequency. I think the Onkyo can cross over up to 250Hz if I recall correctly (maybe 200Hz), which is possible, but I'd use with caution. Even if you are able to use the satellites, you'd need a sub to fill in what the satellite speakers aren't giving you. Ideally, I'd say replace all.

These types of systems were great because they were 'all-in-one', but when they came to be upgraded, they needed to be replaced 'all-in-one' go as well!

Abbo1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Cheers for that. Worth knowing. Ideally I want to change all, but can't afford the Q Acoustics 2000i speaker package as well as the Amp at this time.

Is it worth investing in a 'cheaper' speaker set in the meantime, or would this just be a waste of money?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I think the Boston Acoustics Soundware packages are quite heavily discounted at the mo'. Might be worth a look, but they won't be a patch on the 602s for music.

Abbo1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
In regard to the music, will still continue to use my hifi separates for that, so music will always be played through the 602's.

Just a thought.... Is it worth building a speaker system from the 602's (ie buying a centre speaker a sub and a pair of satellites), or am I just causing myself extra grief, and would be best sticking with saving for the 2000i's?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If they're gonna be used in the same room as the hi-fi, won't you be suffering from 'box overload' with conventional speakers for your surround sound as well as your existing 602s?

What about the Q7000 style package instead?

Abbo1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Planning to mount the Q Acoustics on the wall, so keeps them away from the B&W's.

Just still the choice of whether to wait and save to buy the speakers, or try and use what I've got (B&W's) and then buy pair of satellites, sub and centre speakers, but then don't know what that will sound like, and whether it's advisable to do so.

Have more experience with hifi, so really a novice with AV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts