New Mini Tablet Suggestions Please

Witterings

Looking for a new mini tablet who’s main function will be to display Music Apps and control music streamers and generally prefer Android as it has far greater compatibility with other devices / streaming music etc.

I had an old iPad Mini 2 and more recently bought a Samsung A7 (7/8" version) but the A7’s ground to a halt (despite being much newer) especially on start-up and the screen is so unresponsive it’s a complete pain.

The iPad is still much quicker / more responsive but as the iOS is so old a lot of Apps will no longer update so again needs replacing.

Looking for an upgrade and if it wasn’t for the compatibility issues would get an iPad Mini 5 but would prefer to find an Android tablet but only if it’ll perform as well and last as long as my Mini iPad has.

If anybody has any suggestions would be much appreciated.

That's not how the forum works! You'll now gets loads of Cr-Apple advice!
That's a tad unfair comment, don't you think? I'm a lifelong Android user myself. You can't deny the fact that Android has never been serious about tablets. My iPad mini which I bought 7 years ago is still going strong (my son uses it for his educational apps and Minecraft). In contrast, I bought a Galaxy tab for my mum which gave up ghost in 3 years. Would be more helpful if you could actually advise the OP with a suggestion.

Last edited:

Witterings

Which music services or devices aren't supported by Apple? Android has never been serious about tablets, so it's unlikely you'll find an Android tablet that'll last as long as iPad. The newer Galaxy tabs are your best bet if it has to be Android.

For starters they don't play well with Chromecast Audio ,,, that was my go to for a long tme and there's no option to cast to them in say the Amazon Music App.
Also you have to load music via itunes which then puts it in some proprietary format and makes it impossible to then copy from the Apple device to something else irrespective of whether it's as a back up or not. This is music where I've bought the CD's and then burnt them so no breach of copyright.
Over the years there have been loads of other things, just can't think of them all off the top of my head.

I'll take a look at the newer Galaxy tabs so cheers for that (y)

Reactions: bigboss

Witterings

If it's not a daft question what is wrong with simply using a phone?

No not a daft quetion at all ... although my iphone's even older than my ipad mini 2 :( ... it's the old version of SE and I really just use it for occasional calls / texts.

Overall I'm not a big phone user (can be switched off for days) and generally prefer a slightly bigger display so in music library you'll see many more albums / artists listed at one time.
I also use it a small amount for internet / e-mails and much prefer the bigger screen and keyboard when I do ... it's just a preference thing.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts