Renegade

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
A very big hello to all existing members, nice to be a part of the community & i hope one day to be able to give some advice myself.

To begin with though I would like some advice regarding converting anologue to digital , the project involves recording my vinyl from a Technics 1200 (Ortofon cartridge) to my PC. Should i use the (intergrated) card or buy a new soundcard . My main concern is the quality of the recording (file) and not nessecarily the audio playback quality on my PC.

Any help or advice with this process would be appreciated , Regards Rob.

A

Anderson

I have no experience doing this but I will try and help, probably won't though.

Youve got your deck (I'm assuming you've ruled out buying a USB deck - don't blame you if you're trying to cut down costs).

Your deck is going to have to go through a preamp of some sort, do you have one? You could get a dedicated phono preamp which can be pretty cheap or if you have an existing stereo integrated amp with phono in and preouts then your golden.

The recording, assuming your inbuilt sound card on your computer has analague in you'll want to run phono to 3.5 mm jack leads from your phono amp or integrated amp to your soundcard.

Audio capture - I have absolutely no advice to offer unfortunately, someone else will have to pick up.

Welcome.

Renegade

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Anderson , i have an intergrated amp & am planning to run phono to 3.5 jack to soundcard as you described. Initially i'm going to use the onboard card (Asus m4n68t-m) together with Audacity to test a recording, it's trial & error. I will post results when completed for anyone who may be interested. Big thanks for your response & the welcome . Rob

A

Anderson

The only benefit Incan imagine you might get from an aftermarket soundcard over your inbuilt one would be if you had it external so as to reduce noise. If you do the recording and it sounds alright don't waste your money on a new sound card.

Out of curiosity how are you doing the actual recording and queuing etc?

Renegade

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
With the turntable started Start the recording tab on audacity & que the needle to vinyl in the standard way, the recording is displayed in a (panel) in wav form you can easily edit the start & end point, you can see the head room rec level & avoid clipping .

The recording suite comes with recognisible icons on the interface, play,pause,record & stop all feel intuitive. I have only managed to get a file by recoring into the mike (pink) in & not the line (Blue) in as i expected. could be compatibilty issue between sofrtware & line v mic ? Guess i need more time to familiarise myself with the software.

A

Anderson

Thanks, that's interesting. You must have the patience of a saint to do your whole record collection. Keep up the good work.

Renegade

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm more determined than patient lol , I've lot's of unreleased & promomotional vinyl it'd be nice if others could here them too.I'm much happier with analogue than the digital side of things although i will say Audacity seems a nice bit of kit & it's open source.Good luck to my man :)

Renegade

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Thought you might like to see the result i'm leaving it up for a while for comparison purposes as it contains minimal enhancements in Audacity. That & creating a video file to Up-load is going to be what takes the time :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8THnyFgF-U#t=283

Ed ; Why am i being blocked ? Mod:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts