New member needing advice on power amplifiers

sgbwill2

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I am new to these forums but have been lurking around for a while. I can usually be found at head-fi though the lack of knowledge over there on power amplifiers to drive speakers has brought me over here. My current system i run is computer > Toping d20 DAC via USB > la figaro 339 as pre amp > topping tp22 as power amp > mordaunt short 902i's. I enjoy the system very much though the topping tp22 only has 4 outputs which means I cant bi-wire/bi-amp my speakers therefore I am searching for an amplifier with atleast 8 outputs at the back. I have very little knowledge on power amplifiers and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I ideally dont want to spend more than £100-£150 on a power amp however I am unsure if anything decent can be had at this price. Please help me. Thanks.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You can do bi-wiring with 4 terminals on the amp. Just run two sets of wires from the same terminal.

No benefits from bi-wiring with 8 terminals (for two pairs of speakers) unless the amp is a dual mono construction. And even then it is questionable if you can hear the benefits from less crosstalk. However, dual mono amps usually have bigger PSU's than standard amps and that is what makes an audible difference.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you think the link plates can alter the sound, simply use small cuts of speaker wire to replace them. Even better if you just strip the main speaker wire coming from the amp enough to pass through two terminals at the same time, you get one less connection to worry about.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

A lot depends on where you are based and what you have access to.

In the UK you can buy a pair of these for about £150. Altenatively there is the Peardrop amplifier from BK, the subwoofer people.

Simple high performance bling free amplifiers at modest cost, far better than anything else you can buy at this sort of price.

sgbwill2

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both of you. I think I will just stick with the jumpers for now I guess. Thanks for the amp suggestions. They are slightly more than I want to spend at the moment though. I should probably keep saving for the time being then :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts