New member Lots of quuestions.

Caseyjones125

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi, after stumbling over my old LPs in the attic a while ago, I decided to invest in a turntable and some speakers.
After a bit of research ,I plumped for an Audiotechnica AT-LP120XUSB with a pair of Edifier R 1700BTs.
Very happy with my choice.
A friend, who is moving house and who is a HUGE audiophile, has just given me a Cambidge Audio A5 amplifier and a pair of Ruark audio Prologue Ones.( Yes, I know, lucky me.)
The question is, do I stick with the A5 ?
I really wanted a bluetooth amp.
I don't want spend a fortune on equipment at this stage .
What are people's thoughts?
Many thanks,
Andy.

Can you not get a cheap Bluetooth adapter for the A5?
What are you actually using the Bluetooth for?
I am confused bas to why you are trying to use active speakers with a stereo amplifier.....
Sell them and buy decent speakers.

Reactions: Dom

Caseyjones125

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi,thanks for the response.
To be honest, this is why I joined the site.
I don't know much about Hi-Fi systems.
I mainly want to play music files from my phone through the Prologues.

Caseyjones125

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi , thanks for taking an interest.
A couple of hundred pounds ? (I know i'm being a bit of a cheapskate here as I got the speakers and amp for free.)
I am a little tight on space here, is it a big no no to put the Turntable on top of the amp ?

Gray

A couple of hundred pounds ?
Well that would be more than enough to get you a Zen Blue from ifi Audio, probably about as good as Bluetooth gets.

But, as you may know, Bluetooth itself is not as good as it gets when it comes to optimum sound quality.

I would suggest you first see what you think of the sound of the A5 into the Ruark speakers and see where you go from there.

I'm assuming the A5 has a built-in phono preamp and I think your AT turntable does.
Start by experimenting.....compare the turntable's preamp with the one in the A5 to see which you prefer.

(From the turntable, that means either connecting the cartridge direct to the A5 'phono' input or switching it to 'line out' and connecting it to a line (aux) input on the A5).

Caseyjones125

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
after sitting in front of the computer until about half past 1 this morning, I plumped for this so, I guess I'm going bluetooth.
I hope that I haven't picked a crap one.

Caseyjones125

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
If only you had been there at 01:30 this morning.! Hahaha.
Thanks for helping to point me in the right direction.
This gets expensive really quickly, doesn't it?

Gray

If only you had been there at 01:30 this morning.! Hahaha.
Thanks for helping to point me in the right direction.
This gets expensive really quickly, doesn't it?
Funny enough, I'm often around at 3am.

Not suggesting this is you but....a less scrupulous person would order both, then return the one that lost the SQ battle 😉

Seriously, that's not going to be bad.
And yes, this lark can get very expensive - the secret is to be contented with what you have....a skill that very few of us have mastered.

Let us know how you get on 👍

Caseyjones125

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
So far, my free speakers and amp have cost me nearly £200.
I've just spent the last hour looking at second hand cd/md players as mine has a cd player that keeps skipping. ( I had tried a cleaning disc, no change.)
I don't know whether to go for a separate or another mini system.
Can you stack separates directly on top of one another BTW?

Attachments

• IMG20221124115437.jpg
    IMG20221124115437.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 9

Gray

Can you stack separates directly on top of one another BTW?
People do just that, but best avoided.
With no room to position side- by-side, stacked with shelves to give some spacing is the way.

If you have to stack directly, you don't want anything on top of the amp (nor heavy amps on top of flimsy- cased separates either though).

If you've got a DVD player, that can be used as a CD player (though the audio from their analogue outputs can be a bit ropey).

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Sorry to say but you could have done this with a chrome cast audio for 20 -40quid off ebay just to get you up and running. In turn, allowing you to sign up to streaming services like Spotify and does loads more as you and your system grow. It's a fantastic device that should still be made.

Though what you have bought MAYBE more useful

As for CD players, you can find plenty of cheap DVD players on ebay as well starting as low as 15 quid, or this one £1.20

regardless of what this listing says this is from the mid 2000's, you should be able to use it as a transport into your new purchases.

or if you have bluray player or similar in the house just use that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts