New Look Mag - First Impressions

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
Indeed , we compare sets against the Kuro when it's truly comparable - eg flagship sets being tested (including first time around for the LG - that review is still on record) that Kuro owners might want to swap their sets for.

We also keep flagship sets to test against cheaper sets where applicable.

All this was applied in this 50in Supertest - no need to mention it at all at this price level, we felt.

Trust us, when we find something that truly does surpass all - as opposed to some - of the late lamented Kuro performance, at a real-world price, we'll mention it.

thanks clare, im not beating the panasonic drum, far from it, but i do think the v20 is one of those tv's that is worthy of a kuro comparism, it would have been more informative imo, than just comparing against the other tv's in the test, if the pk990 was deemed worthy of comparism with the kuro then i think a tv that betters the lg should have also been compared..
emotion-21.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We compared the Kuro with the VT20- that's on record; if any new set in the Supertest had warranted any additional comparative comment, we'd have made it.

I just boggle that some people change their TVs on an annual whim to get - at best - an incremental upgrade, rather than waiting for the true step-change that a few years' development can bring.

In the majority of cases the money would be far better spent on professional calibration of the set concerned (including evaluation of the quality and consistency of source) and - even more importantly - the best-quality content to feed that set (ie Blu-rays and HDTV).

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I so often fail to see what point you're trying to make, max... And for that reason, I'm out.
i doubt you would have invested anyway
emotion-4.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I just boggle that some people change their TVs on an annual whim to get - at best - an incremental upgrade, rather than waiting for the true step-change that a few years' development can bring.

Perhaps with some people its a case of having the best all the time for "bragging brownie points".

Glad they can afford it, I can't.

Good point about it being more important to concentrate on quality of feed to the TV. Just gone onto Freesat and well pleased with the result.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
We compared the Kuro with the VT20- that's on record.

In the majority of cases the money would be far better spent on professional calibration of the set concerned (including evaluation of the quality and consistency of source) and - even more importantly - the best-quality content to feed that set (ie Blu-rays and HDTV).

i wish i hadnt upgraded mine now
emotion-16.gif

yes the vt20 was compared against the kuro, and bettered it in some areas, as it should given that its over two years newer than the kuro, but the v20 is said by many to be as good as the vt20, albeit without 3d, and seeing as its much cheaper than the kuro, i think it easily falls into the category of tv's that warrant a direct comparism
emotion-15.gif

anyway, its friday night, i wont be investing,(again) so im out too..
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:i doubt you would have invested anyway
emotion-4.gif

And yet somehow I feel we've all invested far too much already...

emotion-1.gif
, oh dear, i think ill watch a movie...
emotion-2.gif

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Good to be back on topic. Just seen the November edition, very good evolving layout - please keep up the good work.

Just a point, and something I have picked up from other (none AV) mags that I subscribe to - would it be possible to devote a page to listing the names of the advertisers, together with a page reference to the ad ? In the past I have found this incredibly useful.

TRENDING THREADS