New London Grammar Album

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:
Thanks Doug K. It's actually good to be back. I gave it a rest for a while after I'd vowed never to return on here. I was getting some carp off a few of the usual suspects on here (they know who they are) over my description of a remote control unit, of all things. Anyway, what nobody knew at the time was that I was feeling pretty low after my best HiFi mate Mark died suddenly of a heart attack whilst out cycling. He was sixty. After that I'd had enough...

....But I missed some of the posters on here, so I'm back.

The Cd's are interesting. The Donna Summer for its energy and the other Lara Fabian disc for the high production values, especially around the vocals. The music itself is pleasant enough.

Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to add that the 'usual suspects' will be ignored.

Many thanks for your kind reply. Sorry to hear about your friend, that's too young. As Tonky has said mature posters are always welcome here... unfortunately idiots infiltrate decent conversations and are found in all walks of life. Best to just ignore the t*ssers!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
It's one of the most dynamic and beautiful sounding recordings I've got. It sounds different to the first Album in that it's simpler and more sophisticated. I think the songwriting is first-rate and Hannah's voice is incredibly beautiful. I've played the ripped CD on both my systems and have nothing to complain about on either, although the presentation is different.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=london+grammar&album=

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Infiniteloop said:
It's one of the most dynamic and beautiful sounding recordings I've got. It sounds different to the first Album in that it's simpler and more sophisticated. I think the songwriting is first-rate and Hannah's voice is incredibly beautiful. I've played the ripped CD on both my systems and have nothing to complain about on either, although the presentation is different.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=london+grammar&album=

Regardless. It sounds absolutely beautiful on both my systems. I also have it on Vinyl and looking forward to seeing if it sounds any different.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
Infiniteloop said:
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:
Perhaps, but to many, nothing comes close to a properly set up Turntable.

Anyway, back on topic: Favourtie track so far is 'Hell to the Liars'.

Sublimely beautiful.

Re turntable agreed, I've got a couple of TT's and no CD comes close.

Off topic, good to see you back Infinite *good* How did the Donna Summer and Lara Fabian CDs go down with you? *biggrin*

Thanks Doug K. It's actually good to be back. I gave it a rest for a while after I'd vowed never to return on here. I was getting some carp off a few of the usual suspects on here (they know who they are) over my description of a remote control unit, of all things. Anyway, what nobody knew at the time was that I was feeling pretty low after my best HiFi mate Mark died suddenly of a heart attack whilst out cycling. He was sixty. After that I'd had enough...

The Cd's are interesting. The Donna Summer for its energy and the other Lara Fabian disc for the high production values, especially around the vocals. The music itself is pleasant enough.

Nice to see you back - sensible and mature posters always welcome!. Time for me to wind up spotify and give the new LG release a listen. I heard a track (single?) on the radio just recently and liked it - the vocals were v.good. I've been a little critical of LG before (a bit bland for me) - but given the positive comments maybe a revisit is in order..

cheers wiggy

I found the 1st album bland too couldn't understand the praise really from people on here it's not exactly Blood in the Tracks, each to their own though eh. The new one is a lot lot better, a real leap forward much more mature - the vocals are flawless

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Gray said:
I get regular e-mails from HD Tracks. On the latest I noticed 'Truth Is A beautiful Thing' 24bit, 44.1kHz. £20 if anyone's interested.

The email should have a code for a 15 to 20% discount

Gray

As Q5 rightly points out, by using a code, there is currently a 15% discount at HDTracks, making their price £17.

However, I thought I would just check my favourite hi-res supplier, Technics Tracks.

They've currently got the 24/44.1 11 track version for £14.99 and the 18 track 'deluxe' version for £17.49.

(To avoid confusion, note that Technics Tracks always distinguish between CD quality and highest-res downloads by marking the highest-res as 'deluxe')

They also allow single track downloads from the album at £2.59 each, although no doubt the many fans here will want the full album.

(For any Acoustic Alchemy fans, I can recommend the 24/48 download of 'Live In London'. You won't be disappointed. A well played, well recorded 18 tracker for £11.99)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Recieved it today and had a quick listen.

I think its one of those records that takes a few listens to get the tunes sorted.

Besides the rubbish dr it sounds nice and clear.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Initially I was a bit dissapointed with the new album as it seemed to lack that overwhelming deep felt emotion that the first album triggered in me.

But after a few listens it has started to grow on me even though it has more of a mainstream feel to it .

As for dynamics it seems to have good microdynamics but the macrodynamics are limited, it still sounds very good to me though.

The stand out track for me is track 17 the demo version of Rooting for you, it is real with much fewer added effects and much better macrodynamics and you can hear Hannah's real voice with all the faults also the emotion is back in spades.

I love the new album but "If you Wait" was always going to be a very hard act to follow. *good*

insider9

knaithrover said:
Couldn't understand the fuss on here about the 1st album which I think is dull, didn't expect much with this but gave it a try and whew I absolutely love it - nice sound and what a voice

Same here. The only difference is I still don't. I've listened to the new album only once so far on headphones and it's ok. I'll give it another go to see if it grows on me but I'm not sure it will.

EDIT

Especially after reading the last few comments will definitely give it another listen.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Put it on the other day, and couldn't make it all the way through. For me not a patch on the first one. But maybe it was my mood, I'll give it another listen some time,but I can't see me playing it multiple times like I have the first one. For me the melodies just aren't there.

Samd

radiorog said:
Put it on the other day, and couldn't make it all the way through. For me not a patch on the first one. But maybe it was my mood, I'll give it another listen some time,but I can't see me playing it multiple times like I have the first one. For me the melodies just aren't there.

Particularly your last sentence. Many of the lyrics don't scan properly in that musical stress or emphasis is often on the wrong word or syllable.

I'll give it another go though.

Infiniteloop said:
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:

Sublimely beautiful.

Off topic, good to see you back Infinite *good* How did the Donna Summer and Lara Fabian CDs go down with you? *biggrin*

Delighted to see you again. So sorry about your friend, infinite.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
As Q5 rightly points out, by using a code, there is currently a 15% discount at HDTracks, making their price £17.

However, I thought I would just check my favourite hi-res supplier, Technics Tracks.

They've currently got the 24/44.1 11 track version for £14.99 and the 18 track 'deluxe' version for £17.49.

(To avoid confusion, note that Technics Tracks always distinguish between CD quality and highest-res downloads by marking the highest-res as 'deluxe')

They also allow single track downloads from the album at £2.59 each, although no doubt the many fans here will want the full album.

(For any Acoustic Alchemy fans, I can recommend the 24/48 download of 'Live In London'. You won't be disappointed. A well played, well recorded 18 tracker for £11.99)

I bought this today. Moving beyond the fact that (IMHO) LG have definitely failed the difficult second album challenge with this drab offering, the Hi-Res version actually sounds worse than the SD version. It sounds compressed and flat. Go figure that!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Infiniteloop said:
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:

Sublimely beautiful.

Delighted to see you again. So sorry about your friend, infinite.

Thank you nopiano. That means a lot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts