New LG OLED TV out!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
You have a very good tv already gel, save your money and wait a few years for the technology to mature and the prices to come down.

Or save up for a really good deal on a projector and get a huge screen *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:
Yes, knowing gel, he will return it.

Well bigboss, you turned out to be right, though I bet that even you didn't expect gel to cancel the order before the item was even delivered!!

gel said:
I've cancelled the order, I think you guys are right

Gel, I can't keep up with you, and you have now surprised me, twice. First, in ordering the new LG 55EA980W curved OLED despite everybody telling you not to, and now, in cancelling the order, just as I was getting round to the idea.

I'm not sure which model of OLED it was that bigboss saw at the shootout in Leeds, so I don't know if it was the same as your model, but after you said that you had bought your OLED I went back to your link

http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/lcd-and-plasma/all-tvs#1

(I selected under "Features" on the left hand side, "OLED".) Frankly, I am very surprised that your OLED, gel, the LG 55EA980W, to which Steve Withers gave such a good review, costs as little as £2K at Richer Sounds! Why is it so much cheaper than the other two LG OLEDs that Richer Sounds lists? What was its price at John Lewis?
It was £2000 at John Lewis but they only had 2 left in stock. I went with Marks Electrical at £2,000 but they say if it goes wrong and they can't fix it you have to spend the £2,000 at the shop again, they won't give you a refund. In the end it was too bigger risk. The TV is brilliant, I have seen it about 30 times, and all reviews give it 5 stars. The next one coming out only gets 3 and a half out of 5 and 7 out of 10 and costs a lot less. I am not sure with the stand, I am pretty fussy with it, thanks for the idea though. Motion lets down the new OLED. The ones you saw are definitely overpriced, and might have 4K in them. That was seriously tempting though if it had been John Lewis I would have gone through with it. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

SpiceWeasel said:
You have a very good tv already gel, save your money and wait a few years for the technology to mature and the prices to come down.

Or save up for a really good deal on a projector and get a huge screen *biggrin*
Cheers mate, I will do now. I will wait to get a 4K one now, and get a new Blu-ray player at the same time. Now for some serious saving.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Well gel, you've clearly chosen to ignore the link that I gave to Richer Sounds, with a five-year guarantee.
I have a bit of a mixed past with Richer Sounds sorry. I once took a TV back and they charged me a couple of hundred pounds, but the guy on here for Richer Sounds got me my money back, but I am now wary of them, they are definitely not as good as John Lewis.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Glad you've seen sense Gel. I've compared both the LG OLED and the panasonic ZT plasma side by side and the Panny was better in all areas in my opinion. This was also the result at the ultimate shoot out in Leeds I went to. Your VT will be very close to the ZT .

now save your money and go for a 4k OLED in a few years or even 8k ....lol :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Well gel, you've clearly chosen to ignore the link that I gave to Richer Sounds, with a five-year guarantee.
I have a bit of a mixed past with Richer Sounds sorry. I once took a TV back and they charged me a couple of hundred pounds, but the guy on here for Richer Sounds got me my money back, but I am now wary of them, they are definitely not as good as John Lewis.

Every time you return something, after trying it out, the retailer has to sell it on as an 'open box' item at a big discount.

In the normal way of things I dare say they write that off as the cost of doing business. (Especially large chains.) However, you are a 'serial returner'* so you could single-handedly dent sales figures for one branch.

*I have lost count of the number of things you've tried out for a day or so then returned for a full refund.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Do the reviews say that the second generation OLED is actually worse than the first generation? Don't compare the number of stars received.
This one states it's virtually the same, then it mentions bad motion and judder:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1411378140

This one is one of the better ones too.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Every time you return something, after trying it out, the retailer has to sell it on as an 'open box' item at a big discount.

In the normal way of things I dare say they write that off as the cost of doing business. (Especially large chains.) However, you are a 'serial returner'* so you could single-handedly dent sales figures for one branch.

*I have lost count of the number of things you've tried out for a day or so then returned for a full refund.
Non-faulty items I have returned amounts to 3, so not too bad.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Glad you've seen sense Gel. I've compared both the LG OLED and the panasonic ZT plasma side by side and the Panny was better in all areas in my opinion. This was also the result at the ultimate shoot out in Leeds I went to. Your VT will be very close to the ZT .

now save your money and go for a 4k OLED in a few years or even 8k ....lol :)
Will do, cheers.

gel said:
bigboss said:
Do the reviews say that the second generation OLED is actually worse than the first generation? Don't compare the number of stars received.
This one states it's virtually the same, then it mentions bad motion and judder:

That's exactly my point. The second generation isn't worse than the 1st generation, so the star ratings you've alluded to are useless. Motion and judder problems are there with the first generation as well. They are the same panels, only the WebOS platform is updated. Wait for 3rd and 4th generations.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

That's exactly my point. The second generation isn't worse than the 1st generation, so the star ratings you've alluded to are useless. Motion and judder problems are there with the first generation as well. They are the same panels, only the WebOS platform is updated. Wait for 3rd and 4th generations.
Will do.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
chebby said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

I have just had a re-count and I think it's 5 now, 3 headphones and 2 Blu-ray players.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
gel said:
chebby said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

I have just had a re-count and I think it's 5 now, 3 headphones and 2 Blu-ray players.

Don't forget the iPads.

chebby said:
gel said:
gel said:
chebby said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Don't forget the iPads.

And 2 MacBook Airs. :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy and bigboss, can you remember the model number of the LG OLED that you saw at the Leeds shootout? I've just been through the thread, and I can't seem to see an actual model number being quoted.

Bigboss, can you remember the model number of the OLED that you saw at the Bristol show?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the model number bigboss. In that case, I'm presuming that that is indeed essentially the same television that gel ordered, then cancelled, this one https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-ea980-55ea980-curved-1080p-oled-tv-review.9969

apart from the final letter being a V rather than a W? I must say that reading Steve Withers's review of it, it sounded very, very good indeed, so I could understand why gel was tempted, and the price is now down to £2K. Steve Withers gave it reference status! Yet neither series1boy nor you rated it top at the Leeds shootout? So I guess that just emphasises the importance of a personal audition or viewing.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:
gel said:
chebby said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Don't forget the iPads.
Christ! That's one more, the rest weren't open.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
chebby said:
gel said:
gel said:
chebby said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Don't forget the iPads.

And 2 MacBook Airs. :)
It was actually 3 MacBook Airs! *smile* Oh Dear! That makes 9 in total.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Thanks for the model number bigboss. In that case, I'm presuming that that is indeed essentially the same television that gel ordered, then cancelled, this one https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-ea980-55ea980-curved-1080p-oled-tv-review.9969

apart from the final letter being a V rather than a W? I must say that reading Steve Withers's review of it, it sounded very, very good indeed, so I could understand why gel was tempted, and the price is now down to £2K. Steve Withers gave it reference status! Yet neither series1boy nor you rated it top at the Leeds shootout? So I guess that just emphasises the importance of a personal audition or viewing.
I think the decision was split in America where they compared it with the Samsung plasma.

D

Deleted member 2457

I've got one! *smile*. John Lewis £1800 with a tablet and soundbar! Ex-display. 5 year warranty and John Lewis terms. *clapping*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts