New LCD in place, revamp of Home cinema advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I have recently purchased a shiny new 40" Samsung LCD - of which I am very pleased. My attention is now on upgrading my home cinema. I currently run a Sony DB930 amp, bought on What Hifi recommmendation in 1999 !!! and a Tannoy Speaker set up (Mercury M4's at the front, M1's rear and MxC) again these are probably about the same age. Although this system has served me well, I have never been overimpressed with the quality - it is super when turned up loud however for more normal listening I have felt it lacks clarity at lower levels.

I will be Upgrading the amp - I like the look of the Denon range and the spec of the Onyko 605 - My wishlist will be by Xmas to upgrade this, what with the advent of the new range of Hi Def Amps to hit the Market. For £300ish I am expecting to get a new 'hub' of decent quality.

My speaker set up is my biggest concern - I want better clarity - would the addition of a sub (I like the look of the Yamaha YST100 improve the sound quality or would I be better off replacing the complete set up with something like the KEF 1005 or Tannoy EFX?

My reasoning behind adding a sub is that I can then turn down the base coming from my Tannoy M4's - to give a more balanced and clear sound at lower levels of volume.

Your views are greatly appreciated.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
Having purchased a similar system (same speakers, DB830 amp) I know what you mean about the M4's bass.

The best solution I found was to block the front speaker ports which tightens up the bass.

You can test the effect of blocking the ports using a (clean) pair of socks, though foam plugs are the proper solution.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy TW"]Having purchased a similar system (same speakers, DB830 amp) I know what you mean about the M4's bass. The best solution I found was to block the front speaker ports which tightens up the bass. You can test the effect of blocking the ports using a (clean) pair of socks, though foam plugs are the proper solution.[/quote]

Never thought about trying that, thanks Andy for the tip. I have played around with the settings - decreasing bass to the front is possible through the amp and then putting the loudness button on has a surprisingly 'better' cinema effect!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts