New KEF Q set up, first impressions, wow!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
So, boxes arrived Thursday and unpacked yesterday comprising

Pair Q700 for fronts

Q200C

Pair T301 for rears

Packed well (guess they should be being shipped from China), pictorial assembly diagrams not bad, but they do infer a certain knowledge of what is required. Front pair of 700s very easy to fit plinths and position and level up, Centre even easier but quite a big unit for the smaller in the series (?? makes sense to me). T301 installation very easy, used the provided back plate/mounting plate to mount the speakers on to, all very straight forward and managed to get them within 5mm of each other in terms of height

Quality of visual appearance excellent for the T series and not bad for the Qs although the OH did commen t that they were nothing like the Q7/iQ6C/Q2DS in terms of looks and overall aesthetics

But how do they sound;

Brilliant even straight from the box, whilst I was installing the rears I played MTV HD just on the fronts for a listen, excellent clarity, mid range and high and detail faultless, no sibilance or harshness, literally as clean as a whistle

Ran a test tone/spl set up once all installed, brilliant integration across the front three, the tone remained the same only the switching interrupted. I had concerns for the T301s as their test tone out put seemed (is) vastly different to the fronts but continued the test set up and all set at 75dB reference including the sub.

Our system is predominantly used for movies however I ran a cd in the Sony bdp, switch to Direct mode on the amp and really the overall sound was pretty damned good

Back to 5.1, endured Robin Hood last night on Sky HD, sound quality very very good and rears integration with the rest of the system caused no concern what so ever, I would suggest in fact that the whole system gives height to the sound as well as width.........

Running the BluRay of Kung Fu Panda now, pure genius as a movie and sound reference point, once again the rears sit perfectly in terms of integration, and aging the sense of height within the listening "zone" exists

I have the Centre set as large at the moment, will play with a small setting (maybe) and running bass management at 80Hz to both the fronts and sub, seems to be pretty spot on, no doubt I will play some more but my thinking on this set up is that it is...................

.....................awesome!!

A

Anonymous

The KEFs are good both for 5.1 and Stereo - I have the 700s bi-amped.

Only difference between my speaker setup and yours is that I went with the T101s at the back.

I also set the centre to large and see no reason to change it so far.

As you say awesome.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Mr Mellie said:
The KEFs are good both for 5.1 and Stereo - I have the 700s bi-amped.

Only difference between my speaker setup and yours is that I went with the T101s at the back.

I also set the centre to large and see no reason to change it so far.

As you say awesome.

Yep, inclined to agree, I'll play so that I can just satisfy myself.............

Brilliant in both Stereo and movies, also from my sig you'll see fronts are bi-amped, just going to sit, stand etc and enjoy!!

A

Anonymous

I will post some pics when I get a stand I like to put it all on - bit of a mess at the mo
smiley-embarassed.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
I have the Centre set as large at the moment, will play with a small setting (maybe) and running bass management at 80Hz to both the fronts and sub
I would finitely recommend setting to about 80Hz and let the sub take care of the dirty stuff. This will ease up on what the main three have to deal with, making them clearer and more precise. Personal preference though, as some just like everything warm and bassy!

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
IMO Klipsch RF-62 IIs are much better than Q700s for around the same price. The Q700's bass is loose and not as tight as the RF-62 IIs. Just got the RF-62 IIs today and thinking of selling my Totems because these speakers blows any speakers in terms of clarity and dynamics. Extremely efficient speakers, drove them with Rega Brio 3 at 8 O'clock position and they are have HUGE sound.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
fayeanddavid said:
I have the Centre set as large at the moment, will play with a small setting (maybe) and running bass management at 80Hz to both the fronts and sub
I would finitely recommend setting to about 80Hz and let the sub take care of the dirty stuff. This will ease up on what the main three have to deal with, making them clearer and more precise. Personal preference though, as some just like everything warm and bassy!

As in all signals below 80Hz to the sub...........?

Comes back to my earlier threads around using lesser speakers (in terms of low frequency ability) and moving all to the sub, for which IIRC you have 5 x Q300 set up for front and surround duties.

I'll give it a go though, always interested in getting the best from the system, so thanks for the heads up, will get back on the results

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
rafichage said:

And.............

It works really really well, I had mine set up previously as 80Hz xover but to both sub and fronts (and fronts set to large), changed all to Small, LFE to sub only, xover still at 80Hz.

Absolutely bloody brilliant, especially at low levels, no bloating of bass, tightened up considerably, so very pleased with advice, still a little confused but have been reading up heavily on headroom of speakers, phase timing, roll off and decay and all sorts of strange things, and it does seem to make sense

So the advice is, set Fronts and Centre to Small, cross over at amp to 80Hz, LFE to sub only, check dB level with SPL at 75dB for all, lay back...............and enjoy!!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
rafichage said:

And.............

It works really really well, I had mine set up previously as 80Hz xover but to both sub and fronts (and fronts set to large), changed all to Small, LFE to sub only, xover still at 80Hz.

Absolutely bloody brilliant, especially at low levels, no bloating of bass, tightened up considerably, so very pleased with advice, still a little confused but have been reading up heavily on headroom of speakers, phase timing, roll off and decay and all sorts of strange things, and it does seem to make sense

So the advice is, set Fronts and Centre to Small, cross over at amp to 80Hz, LFE to sub only, check dB level with SPL at 75dB for all, lay back...............and enjoy!!
+1million

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Glad to hear you're now happy with your set up - enjoy :)

David,

Subjective word of course (happy that is)

Thinking a new sub might be on the list also, just to make absolutely sure you understand
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts